Roof failure ... again | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Roof failure ... again

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by vjd3, Apr 24, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    That's certainly another data point ... however, my car had already exhibited a couple of roof failure warnings before the car was wrapped. I suppose it's possible that the previous owner just never tried to have it fixed and put up with it. You can get the top up and down eventually.

But it's an interesting theory that perhaps it's a little bit out of alignment and that is causing problems when it is down.

Actually, when they wrapped it, I don't think they ever had the top down -- they did not wrap the edges of the roof, I can see the edges -- and when I picked up the car I put the top down and noticed that they had not cleaned or wrapped the painted cover panel that is revealed when the roof is down. They did that while I was waiting.

Took it out tonight, got a roof failure when the top was going down, hit the button again and it finished the cycle and did not reoccur.

In a way I am actually glad it's throwing frequent warnings like this because if it's going in for repair I want them to see it happening.

2. JPA

JPA Karting

Feb 3, 2016
    Southern California
    Vic, is the whole car wrapped or only the roof?.. Reason being if the whole car is wrapped and the bumpers covered where the parking sensors are , if not applied well, the sensors will throw all sorts of errors on the top mechanism thinking there's an obstacle.. Just a taught..hope you can sort this out

3. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Whole car is wrapped but the sensors are all cut out. Good thought, though. Those sensors are tied into the convertible top mechanism but I would assume if they were the problem the errors would not be failure errors but of the "obstacle detected" variety.

Nice drive this morning, "roof failure" putting the top back up. Closed fine anyway, though.

I'm getting used to it. I might start thinking the car does not love me anymore if it stops talking to me every time I take it out. LOL

4. Dtreenjr

Dtreenjr Rookie

May 29, 2015
    New Orleans, LA
    Full Name:
    David C. Treen, Jr, MD
    Thanks for all the information. In response to some of the points raised, I think the Power warranty is only available on 2012 or later cars, but I will check on this. If I can buy a new warranty of any kind, it will be worth it. But not sure it will cover the roof mechanism in any case. I have a video of the roof cycling and the dash warning lights so I think even a remote technician will know as much as I do, at least visually as to what is going on, but I agree, a highly specific description is what is needed. I am a surgeon, so I know that a complete "history" is of paramount importance. One of you mentioned "resetting" the car. What does that mean? Is that something that a non-Ferrari shop can perform, if they specialize in Ferraris? Someone also mentioned corrupted software. I am sure that only Ferrari dealers can reinstall software.
    Anyway, it is comforting to know that these roof failures are not as common as I feared, and hopefully a thorough and systematic algorithm approach will be able to diagnose the true reason for the failure.
    Thanks to all who weighed in on this!!!

5. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    #55 vjd3, May 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You can have a year-to-year New Power warranty on the car for 12 years from new. It covers the "RHT" mechanism (retractable hard top) but not "oil leaks or seals" so if there is a hydraulic fluid leak it may not be covered. You can look for that, by the way, by removing the access cover on the left side of the trunk, there is a piston in there and if you see any fluid, it's leaking.

The complete reset is just disconnecting the battery for a bit. Always make sure when you start the car to allow the "check" bar lights to illuminate before pressing the start engine button or you will get all sorts of weird errors.

There is also a trick with the key fob that involves locking the car then pressing the unlock and trunk buttons simultaneously for 30 seconds or so ... the car should then unlock and the windows and roof should be "reset." I have not had any luck with that, though.

Here's a link to the warranty PDF ... it requires an inspection by a Ferrari dealer, so it would have been good to buy it from Algar although it may be too late. You should ask. Otherwise, if you take the car to Houston or Dallas for the roof you could probably do it then.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    As the saga continues ...

Monday was the all time worst the roof has ever been. It was exhibiting roof failures from the moment I pulled the car out of the garage -- and this was with the roof fully closed. It was so blatant that I just drove the car the 70 miles up to the dealer. It was actually comical, every bump I went over the car would beep and tell me there was a roof failure, and then the error would go away, only to return the next time I hit a bump. I stopped counting at 26 times. Here is a brief video, sorry the phone is shaking, hard to hold it steady and drive at the same time, but these are just common bumps on the highway, like overpass joints, etc., not massive potholes.

https://youtu.be/kEMajWfRekU

So I drove the car up there, parked it, they took it in to see if it had any error codes, which it did. I could not leave the car -- had an appointment -- but the tech cleared the codes and they gave it back to me. From that moment on through today ... Jekyll and Hyde. Not a peep out of the car or the roof in three days.

Kind of makes me wonder if the mere presence of an error code makes the car more sensitive to further errors, because it has done this before after the codes were read.

I have written to Ferrari customer service to see if they can offer any assistance on extending the factory warranty or if they will allow the car to be sent to a dealer slightly further away under warranty, as my understanding is they have a master tech there who trained with Webasto on the California roof and maybe he can figure it out. I will advise on what their response is. Meanwhile, my warranty clock has 6 weeks to go.

Went back through some of the service receipts, too. Waiting to hear what the current crop of codes were, but this is what they found back in March:

B1351 electrical fault in encoder PE20
    B1000 implausible roof position
    B1002 hydraulic valve temp too hot

The "encoder PE20" was replaced at that point -- my understanding is that is one of the Hall sensors -- but the faults continued. Next step was to replace the battery. No dice.

Keep in mind that these errors occur with the roof fully up or fully down so the "hydraulic valve temp too hot" makes no sense to me, unless this occurred separately when they were running the top up and down multiple times to see if there were any failures. No signs of leaks in the trunk.

Honestly, if I were Ferrari, I would just up and replace the controller, the wiring harness and all the sensors and microswitches. It has got to be one of the above.

7. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    If it does it with the roof closed going over bumps, my guess would be a sensor or a poor electrical connection somewhere... But, there could be multiple issues... and a bit weird that clearing error codes "resolves" it, at least temporarily... A bit worrisome that Ferrari cannot figure it out...

8. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Vic, mine has never had any roof issues at all but three times at least going over bumps came the roof failure sign.The first time I had a california suite case in the boot and I realized that it moved and displaced slightly out of position the sliding roof holder, I pulled it back and everything was fine. The second and the third times it happened the boot was empty so I stopped the car, open the boot and just pulled back again the sliding roof holder and everything was ok. The only explanation I find for this occurrences is a bad contact of the sliding roof holder and the system understands that it is not completely closed and therefore shows the roof failure sign.

9. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Well, there's another data point to consider, thanks!

10. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Vic, it's good to see you persevere with this ridiculous problem but it's also worrisome to see the dealer being so helpless to either fix it or at least engage the factory to help you. Why should a customer have to write to the factory to escalate such issues? Many customers would have given up on the car and Ferrari for good long before this point!

A cynical person might quip "there is no shortage of new customers", but these problems happen frequently enough that they are turning off a lot of potential Fcar owners who don't want to buy into an expensive headache. Ferrari needs to grab these problems by the horns and fix them.

I agree with you. If the dealer (and the factory) have already confirmed the correct software is properly installed and running, they should replace the controller next. The error codes are useful because they can point to a common source. It's like pinpointing a suspect on a "CSI episode" - each error code is like a victim, so the question is "what is the common factor between the error codes?" - which component or system can generate or erroneously report all these error codes? One of them is the software, the other is the controller.

Cables, microswitches and sensors can also generate the errors but if the errors are dissimilar enough then several cables, sensors and switches have all got to act up around the same time to generate separate codes. If this is the case with the codes then the controller is more likely the culprit.

I had a problem with the stop/start (HELE) function in my car. It would randomly stop working for no apparent reason... for over 2 driving seasons (years). After correcting 2 bad batteries, the local mechanic finally discovered a faulty electrical connection to an ignition module that sits inside the steering wheel.

I think you are making progress and I really hope the factory will help you sort this out because it would be shameful and simply "bad business" to let you down, after all your efforts and enthusiasm for the car and the brand.

Good luck and keep us posted! 👍✊

11. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    The error is showing a physical trigger with bumps. So it is either a loose connector in the harness, north of where all of the sensors or valves reporting errors or one of the sensors is loose and reporting a false value where the code is trying to figure out why and mis-reports. Most likely.

If it is something loose, you should be able to stimulate it by parking and tapping around the roof mechanism. Try it with the roof down first. The we are the bits in the trunk. If you see cables, a light tug to see if something responds. Doesn't need much stimulation....

SV

12. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    My theory all along has that been whatever sensor it is that tells the controller the roof is fully closed (or fully open) is the culprit, since most of the errors have happened with the top fully up or fully down. Either the sensor itself, the harness, or the controller. However, recently, I have gotten failures with the mechanism in motion, so I don't know what that means.

The sliding piece in the trunk is intriguing; however, I can't understand why the car would care what position that is in when the roof is closed, as you can have it in either position. It only needs to be pushed down when the roof is down. Of course, once the roof is down, it pretty much blocks it. I did try to move some things around with the car running, but of course you already have a "trunk open" warning on the display and I could not figure out how to make the car think the trunk is closed -- pushing down the flap in the latch does not do that. Outsmarted by the car again ; )

In any event, the car's current personality seems to be, "What, me have a problem?" and I know from experience that I can probably run the top up and down 20 times and drive over the worst road in the area all day long without an error.

I was admiring a 599 at the dealer on Monday, as well as a low mileage 15 California T, but when they told me how little my 13 would be worth in trade I lost interest in a hurry ; )

I don't know if they've talked to Ferrari or not about the car, but I figured I have little to lose at this point by opening that line of communication as well.

13. JPA

JPA Karting

Feb 3, 2016
    Southern California
    Vic, I always try to resolve remedies through the proper chanels hoping to have a fair outcome. It appears you've passed that point and beyond with your time and effort by repeat attempts to resolve this issue in the normal protocol. I certainly respect the dealership and mechanics earnest attempt to get to the root and cause of this ongoing problem, but with no resolution other than your 70 mile drive back and forth. With that being said that is where I draw the line and escalate it to my consul. It may make a difference, and in case it doesn't you have it on file for future reference . It's obvious from all the posts your receiving on this tread that people are concern about you having a favorable outcome, as this could be any one of us.. My best wishes to you..

14. Dtreenjr

Dtreenjr Rookie

May 29, 2015
    New Orleans, LA
    Full Name:
    David C. Treen, Jr, MD
    My 2011 cali is being delivered to a mechanic in New Orleans tomorrow. Jim Lindsay with Lindsay Automotive. He has a great reputation, all Fcar owners use him when warranty expires. Ben in business for 30 years.
    I am terrified that this roof failure problem will be unsolvable, and worst, then I will have to sell it for peanuts if I can get it "temporarily" fixed long enough to dump it.

As a first time buyer, and a former owner of a 2009 SL63 AMG, I am appalled that Ferrari has not corrected this roof failure problem. The SL had no roof problems, and the tops are made by the same company. I got a call from Webasto today, and I am sending them a video of the problem.
    i wish I had never bought this car. Now, on my way to the electric chair...

15. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Keep the faith, David, yours might be an easy fix.

Who is your contact at Webasto?

16. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #66 4th_gear, May 18, 2016
    I was intrigued by this error that Vic's car collected:
    B1351 electrical fault in encoder PE20​
    In this context, encoders are devices that convert signals from sensors into data for a controller to interpret and respond to. Encoders can encode rotational or linear position signals. They normally interact with a controller in a manner shown in the following hypothetical industrial controller design (ripped off from an encoder supplier website). Similar designs are used in automotive control systems. The brown area of the diagram is more relevant to our discussions.

Given the nature of the error codes:
    B1351 electrical fault in encoder PE20 an encoder fault
    B1000 implausible roof position implausible data from an encoder
    B1002 hydraulic valve temp too hot possibly spurious data from a temperature sensor
    It would seem to me these errors point to input from different encoder(s) and sensor(s) feeding into the processor. So the processor (part of the controller) is the most likely culprit. However, the encoders may also be located in the controller module. BTW, "BLDC" in the diagram just refers to a BrushLess DC (motor). PLC = programmable logic controller (i.e. a computerized automation device).

In this example, the DRIVER (a software subprogram or routine) is reading the encoder data from sensors on a component being articulated and is also issuing commands to the BLDC motor to articulate the component.

The PROCESSOR reads the data from the DRIVER, interprets the data within the context of the entire subsystem which may include many components/devices by using high level logic. It is the PROCESSOR which then issues instructions to the DRIVER(s). Each component or device in a subsystem managed by a CONTROLLER would have a specific DRIVER which understands the signals coming from sensors and encoders that detect various states or positions of that component/device.

17. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
  18. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #68 4th_gear, May 18, 2016
    The problem with blaming just a (roof position) encoder is that it doesn't explain the "B1002 hydraulic valve temp too hot" error code (from a temperature sensor) unless the temperature sensor or hydraulic system also hiccuped around the same time. Somewhat unlikely.

The control unit is at location #3, costs not much more than the roof harness (#6). According to this diagram provided by Ricambi America there appears to be only one roof harness. The other harness at location #8 is for the backlight.

Temperature extremes/cycling can encourage apparently random events... like the ignition module with my HELE problem. Cold solder joints.

19. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    My sincere compliments to the well thought out and considered contributions 4th Gear has made to this thread.

Somehow, I believe that there are unresolved design flaws with the folding Cali Top. It is a relatively large structure and perhaps a combination of mismatched hydraulics sensors and software are at work creating persistent problems.

Interesting to note is the relatively trouble free folding top of 458/488 spiders. The system is also based on hydraulics, but the folding panels are much smaller and lighter.

I wonder if replacing the original panels including the trunk lid with Carbon fiber would improve things????

20. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thanks MailbuGuy, I'm sincerely flattered. It's also very nice of you to stay in touch with the Cali community on this board.

Our cars are indeed very complex beasts. All the same, the other side of the coin is that some of the complexity also makes them interesting to drive. I was just telling someone today why I love my car... it seems to behave a bit differently every time I drive it. There's always notice some new nifty nuance to my car, making me look forward to my next drive.

It would be neat to have CF roof panels and trunk lid. It may make the roof action more accurate and be less stressful on the mechanism. Of course, we'll also need a CF bonnet to maintain the rear weight bias. ;)

21. Dtreenjr

Dtreenjr Rookie

May 29, 2015
    New Orleans, LA
    Full Name:
    David C. Treen, Jr, MD
    The mechanic in New Orleans worked with the Algar technician, and worked on it for 2 days. Algar originally "added" shims to the roof mechanisms (somewhere) and that "worked for the few times they tested the roof, but soon afterward (one day, and a few hundred miles later in a truck) failed and caused a "different" problem to occur when it arrived in New Orleans. I think they just compounded the problem with the shims, and now they are saying that the car was working properly when they finished with the "repair".

Working with the NOLA mechanic, he got the top to work, but you now have to "nudge" the top to move in the correct direction to avoid the roof failure.

SERIOUSLY???

And Algar now says that that should work...
    But to get it to work without the nudge, would require tighter adjustment, and they said that the rear glass could break if it is tighten any more.???

What kind of bozos are working on these cars?
    Do they not realize that if they are over tightening ANYTHING against specifications that that is going to cause a new and additional failure somewhere else.

I'm disgusted with this whole affair. I wish I had never bought this car. Now I'm going to have to sell it for pennies on the dollar to some dealer in california who says he can fix it and resell it.

Ferrari should have solved this mess, recalled ALL Calis, retrofitted or fixed them.

Shame on you Ferrari for being such a lousy company that just perpetuates an existing problem in the name of profits.

Thoroughly disgusted!!!

22. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    David, I'm so sorry to learn of your continued woes with your car.

IMO, th dealery should not have added any "shims" to the mechanism. These Webasto roofs should perform as specified from the factory (Ferrari and Webasto). If the dealer cannot return the roof to those specifications, unless told otherwise by the factory (Ferrari) they cannot mess with them to make them work because these are very complicated mechanisms and they cannot vouch for any negative consequences if they stray from factory specifications. The shims may also fail and/or interfere with other parts of the mechanism or car. Since this is a heavy moving device it can potentially cause injury.

I don't think dealers should be altering the factory specifications of these cars unless the factory authorizes the procedures. So if they did not obtain factory authorization then you may have recourse to complain to FNA (Ferrari North America). If you do not hear from them or if your complaint is not directly addressed you should complain to the factory in Italy.

Make sure you record all the sordid details of your experiences with this car and the dealer(s) involved. Good luck!

23. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Are there any elastic straps on the Cali roof mechanism to keep the linkages moving and on course like on the 355 Spider soft top? If so, maybe they have already stretched out of spec. Just a thought.

24. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Feel your pain.

But don't take it too personally.

Ferrari has a long track history of turning a blind eye.

Poorly designed exhaust manifolds which keep cracking, premature engine mount failures,
    Premature $9,000 sensor failures, and as Al Pacino says, "And I'm just getting started here"

Perhaps the best advice is not to buy a brand new model such as the Cali, until the second generation, i.e. The Cali T

25. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    That's true, especially about not buying the first/second year cars of newly-designed model. And if you must be the first one in your neighbourhood for one, at least lease it instead of buying it and be prepared to be the first to report and help sort out a teething problem.

However, in the case of the Cali, the roof of the CaliT was actually one part of the car that was brought over from the original Cali, COMPLETELY unchanged.

As for the exhaust manifolds and engine mount failures, I believe you are referring to the F430 and the 360, respectively. Not sure of the sensor failures but I do recall your having variator failures on the timing shafts of your high-mileage Cali at 65,000 miles. For that matter, early 458s used to routinely catch fire until the factory identified the cause (the rear wheel well lining). There were other brief teething issues.

I think the question of reliability with Fcars is that the cars are complex by nature and are all liable to have the odd issue. Fcars were never noted for being reliable and this drawback was even acknowledged and accepted by Luca di Montezemolo, the previous head of Ferrari and he felt rightly, that the passion of Fcars were preferable to building boring cars.

I think people who own Fcars need to understand and accept the nature of trade-offs when operating at the bleeding edge. IMO, there are never free lunches. You just have to be realistic and choose with eyes open.