Roof failure ... again | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Roof failure ... again

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by vjd3, Apr 24, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    FWIW, here are my observations about how able my car's charging circuitry is able to recharge the battery while I am driving. My car has the HELE (stop/start) function and uses an AGM battery. Its charging circuitry is designed to recharge its battery much faster than with regular Calis. AGM batteries are also designed to recharge much faster than regular lead acid starter batteries.

When I disable HELE, the car does recharge and maintain the AGM at 100% (12.7V) but when I turn HELE on, it doesn't. The battery drops to 12.5V (about 80%) upon return to my garage from 60-120 minute trips to the countryside. It takes about 2-3 hours to return to 100% on my 7 amp CTEK 7002 charger.

2. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    So ... heard from the service adviser last night, Ferrari agreed to replace the battery, and we will see what that accomplishes. I was getting off a plane when he called and did not get the chance to ask if the new battery fixed the alarm problem as well.

I should get the car back on Monday and I will see how it goes.

Can anyone advise how you can put the factory battery tender end on a higher quality charger?

3. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    #28 MDEL, May 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Vic, I'm not completely sure but I presume that the Cali adaptor cable on the picture which you can buy can be plugged in any of the new generation CTEK tenders.................
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Thanks, Mario!

Got the car back last night ... they managed to get the battery to fail the factory test and Ferrari replaced it with a new one.

According to the work order, they found no recorded faults with either the alarm or the top. So, we are crossing our fingers that the battery will cure everything.

At the moment, the alarm is armed in the garage and it is not going off.

It's still mystifying to me how something like a weak battery can cause these faults, though ... especially the ones with the top where the engine is running at the time.

5. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    #30 vjd3, May 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, that didn't take too long.

Out with the car this afternoon, started up, backed out of the garage, lowered the roof. Drove about 3 miles. "beep beep beep" and "roof failure" as I was pulling up to a stop sign. Then got "complete roof cycle" and "stop car for roof operation" as I was coasting up to the sign. Once I was stopped "complete roof cycle." Kept driving, the error and the little roof icon went away.

Stopped to do my errand, left the top up. Restarted the car, no error. Pulled away, no errors. Got home, put the top back fully up idling in the driveway, no error.

Pulled into the garage, come to a stop, "beep beep beep" and "roof failure" again. Top would not operate.

Guess it wasn't the battery after all.

6. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Sensor...or interconnect...

SV

7. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Vic, the fact that you get a sequence of roof error messages should actually help the diagnostic process. The more error messages the better.

I used to design and write software for controlling factory robots at one point in my earlier career. Diagnostic error messages are triggered by specific conditions flagged by sensors. These conditions are clearly described in the detailed software designs for the systems. Having a sequence of errors should narrow down what condition(s) would conceivably trigger them. The dealer normally engages troubleshooters at the factory in Italy to directly work on such problem because the process requires access to the design of the software and that usually requires help from the programmers who wrote the original software code or at least the people who are now maintaining the original code.

Aside from actual faults in the sensors, battery, control circuitry or actual roof hardware, one other possibility is corrupted software. This can happen if the software was not correctly or completely loaded during a software update or software installation when your car was serviced by your dealer during an earlier visit. This apparently happens quite often. Corrupted software can behave unpredictably. The dealer should first reload the software and verify it is properly loaded before assuming the problem is caused elsewhere. This is the same troubleshooting logic paradigm that I followed with regard to first making sure the battery is good before proceeding further.

Regarding the battery, yours apparently was bad or marginal and now you have a new one... gratis. Hopefully, they also charged it up fully before they installed it. It would also be a good idea to test the new battery again at this point. If it tests good (new) now it would then eliminate the battery's involvement in the current problem.

8. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Not sure how old the car is and if you bought it new, but if you did I would think this would fall under the lemon law...

9. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Unfortunately, I bought the car preowned last July and the state Lemon Law protection is for 90 days. Believe me, I would love to return the car and get a different one. Best I can do is trade it and take a loss.

Thanks for the additional input. I'm not sure these messages were part of a sequence so much as the car sensing it was moving while thinking the top was not closed, resulting in two messages. One of the issues they seem to be having figuring this out is there are no error codes being retained.

However, when I restarted the car last night I got a "roof failure" warning with the idiot light remaining illuminated on the dash and the top is inoperable. Hopefully that will still be the case this morning and I can drive the car up to the dealer so they can get the code.

i love the term "idiot light" but lately I'm wondering who the idiot might be ; )

On the other hand, I've racked up lots of extra miles driving back and forth to the dealer at 70 miles each way. At least I love driving the car.

10. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Vic, I can imagine the feeling of uncertainty you have every time you press this roof switch so you have all my Cali's owner solidarity but, at the end of the day, I know this is no solution whatsoever for your problem. One thing is certain Cali's roof failures are not uncommon and happen in cars of very different ages which means that changing to another car is no total guarantee that it won't happen again. Because the USA is the biggest single Cali market in the world, with many thousands of units sold, there are certainly very experienced Ferrari technicians which have come across this exact same type of problem before several times, and can recommend a proved line of action leading to a definitive solution. Why don't your dealer calls some colleagues big Ferrari dealers in California and ask them if they can diagnose the problem with all the information you already have available?

Good luck and regards

11. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Vic, it would seem to me that aside from repeat visits to the dealer hassles, you are really in a difficult position having to decide what I would summarize as the following:

a) should you keep the car?
    b) should you trade in your car and take a loss?
    c) should you buy extended warranty?
    d) can the dealer fix the problem?
    e) will the car have the problem again if you keep it?

I don't like to be cynical but it looks to me the dealer stands to gain from this situation regardless of what you do. OTOH, neither you (nor even Ferrari potentially) have anything to gain from your misfortune. Only your dealer is assured to gain from it. It also appears to me this problem only started recently. So your car worked fine until recently. Why is this problem occurring now?

I do not believe these problems are difficult to fix. I have a computer industry background and software problems are routinely traced and fixed. I acknowledge Ferrari dealerships are late players to the computer world but they do have direct factory tech support backup. They can enlist help from the programmers at Ferrari Spa. So it may be that your dealer doesn't want to fix your problem before your warranty runs out. It's easy enough for them to just drag their feet. Like I said, I don't like to be cynical but that's not how the world operates.

You may want to see if another dealer can fix your car for you. I know it will cause additional hassles but if your car is still under warranty the dealer can flatbed your car to their location and return it the same way, at no charge... so long as it is a warranty issue. You should discuss this thoroughly with the other dealer before you authorize the work. This is what I would do. Surely, there are other dealers near your Rhode Island location.

BTW, my dealer tells me they access a "community" database managed by the factory which contains technical notes and repair tips gathered throughout the entire Ferrari dealer network worldwide. My car went through a similarly frustrating process while it was under warranty.

12. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Actually, the car has done it since I got it (with 5000 miles on it). There's a post on here about it within a week of me buying it. I brought it in the first time, there were no error codes, they adjusted the trunk latch, that seemed to cure it for a few weeks. It resurfaced, brought it in, they adjusted the latch again, tested it multiple times with no failures. Gave it back, it was okay for a bit then failed again. Then they took it apart and replaced one of the Hall sensors. It worked briefly, then failed again. Took it back for the annual service, they replaced the battery and now it's acting up again.

I think it's the classic "if it won't do it in front of me I can't figure it out" scenario.

The only time they got an error code it was an "implausible sensor position."

I don't really think my dealer is benefitting in any way ... it's extremely unlikely that I would trade this Ferrari for another Ferrari, and with this car being troublesome I'm doubtful they'd want to take it in -- assuming service talks to sales. Also, they do not have the best price on the warranty, so I would get it elsewhere.

I was curious whether the car had done this in the past but pulling the service history revealed no dealer visits other than scheduled maintenance the first two years -- the car came from out of state. Actually, I found it at Cauley Ferrari in Michigan and had my local dealer acquire it for me, so I guess it's my problem that I picked this one : )

I am 70 miles from my dealer, and 130 miles from a NYC area dealer. The Roadside Assistance tow is up to 100 miles. I am planning to speak to that dealer tomorrow.

Owning a Ferrari has been something I've always wanted to do, mostly I've daily driven Porsche 911s the last 24 years. They have their weak points, as well, but largely they are dead reliable and servicing them is pretty easy and straightforward. I knew the Ferrari could be a headache and I also knew that the service experience is not "here's a loaner and you can pick your car up at 5" deal. I've spent a lot of time being ferried back and forth to the dealer, rode the train up there Tuesday to get the car because their driver was busy. They have two Maserati Ghibli loaners for the entire dealership, so they are never available. And, of course, I am low on the pecking order for customers, as I have not bought multiple cars and do not trade up to the latest model every year, although they treat me very well.

That's another difference, I drive the car as much as possible, if it's over 50 degrees the top is down and if it's not raining, I'm out in the car. A lot of their other customers have 2 or 3 cars and are putting on a few hundred miles per year. If one goes to the shop, they have another one. That's not me.

I went and drove a new 2017 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S today ... 420 horsepower. Great car, but it lacks what I love about the Ferrari, the sound, the visceral feel. It's a little too perfect and quiet for me now. However, it would be anything but a headache to own.

Guess you can't expect too much sympathy because your Ferrari is unreliable!

I really should just leave it in the damn garage with the top down. But the interior's too nice for that. If it wasn't for embarrassing top half down failures like what occurred today in the parking lot of the local CVS, it wouldn't be so bad. Ironically, I was parked next to a guy who was getting in his 911 cabriolet when the top froze. I shut the car down, restarted before the "check" lights all came on, top went down the rest of the way, got some airbag errors (of course), shut down, waited for the check lights and restarted. All was fine. No errors since. But it's still light outside, a fine evening, perfect for a backroads drive ...

13. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Sorry I may have missed your original post on this problem. However, it is highly unlikely the problem did not present itself during the first 5000 miles. These problems tend to become evident within the first 2000 miles. Mine did.

I think your dealer should explain WHY and HOW a given fix addresses the actual problems or error codes. Troubleshooting should always involve a plan or roadmap that lays out a series of possible actions as well as tell you what the dealer will do for you if nothing works. Otherwise the process can become random and potentially endless for you. If you were paying for the "fixes" you would want to know why they want you to spend money on a given fix. You can see how quickly your patience would run out if your car were outside of warranty right now.

Even if your dealer may not stand to gain from your misfortune, they are not helping you by wasting your precious remaining warranty. I think dealers sometimes just don't want to spend too much time on a warranty repair since the factory is the one who is on the nut for warranty costs. OTOH you can definitely ask the factory to help when they send you their customer satisfaction survey. In my case, the factory was very helpful.

IMO your roof problem is definitely fixable, as was mine eventually. The dealer simply has to try hard enough. However, Fcars are definitely not practical to own as an only-car so I hope you have a reliable daily car to fall back on. I've spent some time in a Carrera 4 Cabriolet as well and I generally concur with your assessment of them.

14. JPA

JPA Karting

Feb 3, 2016
    Southern California
    Vic, I feel for you despite the fact you and I are total stranger. I purchased a Bentley Arnage T from a local dealer in Newport Beach and within the first few thousand miles my engine light came on. After half a dozen trip to the dealer , they narrowed it to a vacuum leak that couldn't be located or fixed , Bentley finally sent out their supervisors from New Jersey and they were able to remedy the problem and the engine light did go off , but for only two weeks!!!!!
    I was disgusted with the car and parked it in the garage until I sold it to a dealer who didn't care about the issue and used it for weddings and photo ops.

15. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Vic, have you considered to get FNA involved. It is not acceptable that your car is riddled with roof failures and the dealer is unable to correct the problem. If the dealer is unable to correct it, FNA should and may be willing send someone more capable. Though, good to read that you still enjoy the car.

16. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Thanks, folks, will keep everyone updated. When I drive the car I mostly forget about all of this until the car decides to remind me ; )

17. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.

I feel so bad for you. Reading this makes me sick. If this is a hassle now with Ferrari footing the bill, wait until it is on your dime. That will be terrible.

Have all of these roof repairs and service visits hit Carfax yet? If not, maybe it is time to just cut your losses and dump it while warranty is still in effect. Best, Matt.

18. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    My vote is to get rid of this car since it has a defect which cannot be fixed by a qualified dealer.

It will continue to annoy you and waste a lot of time.

19. Dtreenjr

Dtreenjr Rookie

May 29, 2015
    New Orleans, LA
    Full Name:
    David C. Treen, Jr, MD
    Reading this thread scares me to death.
    I just purchased my first Ferrari, 2011 cali. Took delivery on it Wednesday. As soon as it exited the truck, I got a roof failure. Happens every time. I had a PPI at Algar Ferrari, and the only problem they found was that there was a noise coming from the top during road test. They said the rear window needed "adjustment", performed the work for $500, and said they cycled the top several times, and the top functioned flawlessly. The car has been at Algar for a previous "roof issue" that was explained to me by the seller as a simple battery replacement and was "solved".
    Now, the seller won't rescind the sale, he says it's Algars problem, or my problem. I won't reveal the sellers name yet, reserve that info if I need to resort to legal action.
    I am sooooo dissappointed because I have been looking forward to have this car for so long, and now I read that these cars are apparently plagued with roof failure issues. I had a SL63 AMG, and the top never failed. German engineering vs Italian? Someone said Ferrari doesn't design these tops. Who does? And who builds them if not Ferrari.
    Devastated, no local Ferrari dealer to bring it to in New Orleans. I feel like I am willingly walking to the electric chair...

20. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.

Sorry to hear this terrible story. I'm sure the sale was "as is" and you will have no recourse with the seller. I would never buy a Cali with no warranty from a non-Ferrari dealer. These cars are too complicated with the top and DCT.

My friend had issues with his Cali and it had warranty and he was unhappy.

I personally would not own a Ferrari if you live more than 60 miles from a dealer. Too many things to go wrong small and large and being far just compounds things.

I believe the top is made by Webasto. I heard same company that makes 3 series and SL tops. My brother had a 3 series folding hardtop and it was constantly at dealer for many different warranty problems but it was a lease.

I hope you can rescind the sale or something. Good luck. Keep us posted.

21. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Today was a good day. The sun is shining. The top went down fine. The car was amazing, as always. The top went back up happily when I put it in the garage.

Obviously, I am doing a lot of thinking about this issue. I bought a (relatively) low mileage car and more than doubled the mileage it had on it in 10 months, so it's a pretty significant hit in depreciation if I trade the car in now. I also fully wrapped the car as my plan was to keep it for three years (as long as I can extend the full factory bumper to bumper warranty which is expiring at the end of June). But outside of the cost of wrapping it, the car has cost me nothing in terms of repairs or maintenance -- other than time and aggravation ; )

When the top is down, or the top is up, I enjoy the heck out of it. It's beautiful, the sound and performance are terrific. I've driven brand new Porsche Carrera 4S and Turbo S examples recently and while the performance is excellent, it's not in the same category as a Ferrari.

The top is made by Webasto. I have to think that the general design of the top is sound, as it's used in thousands (if not millions) of BMW and Mercedes cars with folding roofs and you don't generally hear of issues. There seem to be two types of problems with the California tops -- hydraulic fluid leaks which can cause the top to fail mechanically, and mysterious intermittent sensor or alignment issues that cause the "roof failure" messages even when the top is (mostly) operating correctly from a mechanical standpoint, as mine is -- i.e., it is capable of opening and closing correctly. This makes it harder to diagnose as it's not a repeatable failure. Since I get the failure messages when the top itself is not in motion, I think my car falls into that category. I can probably go out in the garage right now, start it up and cycle the roof multiple times without issue. It only seems to fail at the grocery store.

But it does give me (some) confidence that it is a solvable problem. I have discussed it in a preliminary way with Miller Ferrari and am looking into how to get the car down to them. I am also planning to call Ferrari North America about it to see if they have any input, but I am not holding my breath on that. Miller indicated that the fact that it's been worked on by the dealer closer to me should not be an issue with them taking it in under warranty. There are a limited amount of components in play ... Hall sensors, wiring harness, controller ... and making sure the top is properly aligned. One of those has got to solve the issue.

So at this point, rather than take a big hit trading for a car I won't like as much (or taking the same hit gambling on a different Ferrari that could well have a different issue), I'm leaning toward extending the warranty.

As for your new car, David, try not to despair. If your failure is repeatable each time, chances are it's related to the battery not being fully charged, or something clearly out of alignment (trunk latch, perhaps). That sounds identifiable and fixable. The first thing to do is reset the car and fully charge the battery then see what happens. There are plenty of people on here who have Californias without roof issues, or who have had one brush with it not to have it return. Don't allow my possessed car to ruin your experience. Rick is a good example, he's on his third California and put on tons of miles with no problems.

If the resetting the car or charging the battery does not make the problem disappear, get the car to Houston or Dallas and have it looked over. You may be able to buy an extended warranty on the car, although it will not be the full bumper to bumper one.

The only other issue with my car was the alarm going off mysteriously, and so far the new battery appears to have cured that one.

22. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    David, since you say your car was trucked in and previously had a PPI and repair at Algar Ferrari, I assume it came from Philadelphia.

It's usually better to have an out-of-town dealer or inspection mechanic do the PPI, just like when you do home inspections before purchasing a house. In the real estate business, many home inspectors have relationships with real estate sales people and those relationships are much stronger than their loyalty to a buyer, even if the buyers are paying for the home inspection bill. The same can be true of people who perform PPIs. It's better if you can arrange someone from out-of-town to perform PPIs as they potentially have nothing to gain from the car sale. Avoid conflict of interest.

Cali roof problems are often very annoying to resolve. These roofs are made by Webasto of Germany and similar models are used in many other car brands, including MB on their SLK/SL models. Every brand seems to have problems with these roofs. However, I understand the MB SL models use 2 separate batteries and that may be a clue. I can't say if the frequency of problems are unusually high but you only have to Google with the right search phrases and you will find people discussing Webasto roof problems. This means that many mechanics have and are having to deal with Webasto roof problems, so that's the good news.

I cannot help you with the legal aspects of your problem but the closest dealers to New Orleans are 2 Ferrari dealers in Houston. It's a day's drive but it's what you signed up for when you own a late model Fcar in NO.

It is possible that your battery may be causing the problem. You did not provide the exact description of what you meant by "roof failure" or "roof issues". These general descriptions are pretty useless for diagnosis. You have to describe exactly what happened. Using general phrases will just frustrate the troubleshooters and cost you money so you must prepare a detailed description of what happened. Don't waste the time of the troubleshooters and they will be better able to help you. You will likely be paying them by the hour.

I will tell EVERYONE on this forum that letting the newer Fcars sit without driving or connecting them to proper battery chargers is going to drain and damage some of the cars' batteries - guaranteed. Which car gets the problem depends on how discharged the batteries were before they got parked and how many gadgets were running in these cars while they sat idle. Most dealers and owners do not connect proper battery chargers to their idle cars... as well as your car when it is in their shop. When you buy these cars the dealers give them a last minute boost from their high speed chargers (if they have one) but it's often just cosmetic treatment. If the battery had been damaged by lack of charge, it will fail soon after.

MY ADVICE: check the manufacture of the battery in your car. If it's made by a company that has dealer locations in your area, e.g. InterState Batteries, call them and take your car to their location. They will happily test your battery for free and may even provide a free replacement if it is still under warranty so long as you remove the bad battery in your car to affect the swap. InterState cannot work on your car to replace your battery under warranty. You have to get it out first and you might need someone to help you do that. The date code on the battery is needed to determine whether it is still under warranty and it's almost impossible to see given how batteries are mounted in the California. But look at it this way, if your battery is bad, it WILL compromise how your roof and the rest of the electrical circuits work. You MUST replace damaged batteries.

As for your purchase process, the smarter thing to do would have been to have an out-of-town dealer perform a WARRANTY INSPECTION, and not a PPI. They cost about the same. If the car passes the warranty inspection, you or the seller can buy an extended or power warranty on the car. You can even work out some sort of condition of purchase with the seller before you do the inspection. OTOH, a satisfactory PPI does not mean a dealer will allow you to buy extended warranty, especially if the PPI was not done by a dealer.

FYI, a Ferrari warranty inspection which is a thorough PPI-like inspection that is required before an owner can obtain an extension of the factory warranty for cars that are about to run out of the original factory warranty or obtain what is called a POWER WARRANTY, a slightly less comprehensive warranty for older cars that have expired their original factory warranties.

Doing a purchase in this manner gets you a more useful inspection than a PPI because you can buy or have the seller pay for at least a 1-year warranty on the car. Just make sure you understand what is covered by such warranties.

You should always insist on at least a 1-year warranty either provided by the seller or like what I just described, in a pre-sale warranty inspection that you can then use to buy your own warranty extension with.

23. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    In case it is of interest...

The Ferrari warranty extension program is called NEW POWER warranty. It can be used to extend warranty coverage "up to a vehicle age of 12 years".

The car must be inspected by the dealer, mileage must not exceed 56,000 miles/90,000 kms, other conditions include no serious accidents, not "tampered with", not used commercially (e.g. rental) or raced.

24. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.

Getting the car to Miller may be a great idea as they deal with a lot of Ferrari's especially California's as there are so many that live within just 20 miles of the dealer. I'm sure there are a lot less cars up in New England area for the techs to get as much skill on these tops.

25. aviator88

aviator88 Karting

May 13, 2015
    Johannesburg
    Vic, I've been following your thread with interest, and when you mentioned in your last post that you'd wrapped the car, it suddenly reminded me of a friend who had a "roof failure" issue immediately after he had his roof wrapped.
    The wrap is applied when the roof is in mid cycle position and the mechanism is fairly vulnerable at that point. In my friend's case, uneven pressure on the top roof panel during the wrapping process caused a slight malalignment which was only visible when the roof was mid-cycle. When the roof was completely up or down it kind of forced itself into alignment, but this must have caused asymmetrical tension or compression in the mechanism. This may also explain why the error message comes through sometimes a few seconds after the cycle is completed. Sensors picking up uneven tension?

May also explain why there's no prior history of roof issues before you bought the car.

I really hope and believe this can be resolved.