Ron Dennis forced out? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Ron Dennis forced out?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Anthony_Ferrari, Feb 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It'll go into the same file that contains the reasons for the sacking of Arnoux and the never hire of Fisichella. It is a circular binder somewhere in Maranello under the desk of an important person.

2. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    It makes me feel quite sick to think this could be the case, but who knows when it's all about the show ,Max wanted them out Bernie didnt. Ron its like this, like a fixed boxing match make sure you go down in the last round Ron.

Like you say we will never know!!

3. IanMac

IanMac Formula 3

Jul 26, 2006
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian
    But it might be for the best, Steve. Arguably, even if it was fixed it's better for the sport to have a team caught 'cheating' to lose in the end rather than win.

4. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yep Ian totally agree, just hate the feeling being taken for a mug..:)

5. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
  6. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    The F1-Live.com RD announcement link is dated 2-3-08.

7. cantsleepnk

cantsleepnk Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    Full Name:
    Nick
    That's March 2nd.

8. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Please note that over in Europe, they use the format of Date-Month-Year, as oppose to here in the States in Month-Date-Year. The link is from March 2nd, 2008 which is today.

9. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson

Sorry, missed that.

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
  11. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Fingers crossed over here as well.

He should have been fired months ago.

12. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Thats what I was saying all along at the end of last season. Those suspicious looking incidents and finishes in the last 2 races had nothing to do with Ron anymore. He was told where his cars would not finish and to make sure of it. I believe Ferrari winning it is what would have happened if there was no cross contimination of knowledge :) but I hate being played like that. The FIA must think we are all idiots.

2 weeks to go

13. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Me too

14. pastmaster

pastmaster Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2006
    Alma, Michigan USA
  15. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    Unlike the Spanish newspaper from last week, this source has some credibility. I find it strange that he would do it now, just 2 weeks before the season is starting.

16. AndyE430

AndyE430 Rookie

Jan 3, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    If it turns out to be true I think it may have more to do with the issues with his wife than the Stepneygate affair, I think that may have changed his priorities. I'd be surprised if he does step down though.

17. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Ya know, at what point in life do you say to yourself 'I've had enough, I have a ton of cash, and I quite frankly don't need this **** anymore', and ride off into the sunset ?

18. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    from autosport.com:

19. madFerrariFan

madFerrariFan Formula Junior

May 9, 2007
    Karachi
    Full Name:
    MAQ Khan
    Motor racing-Dennis mulling his future at McLaren
    Mon Mar 3, 2008 11:54am GMT Email | Print | Share| Single Page| Recommend (0) [-] Text [+]
    By Alan Baldwin

http://uk.reuters.com/article/UK_MOTORSPORT/idUKL0323094620080303

LONDON, March 3 (Reuters) - Ron Dennis will decide for himself whether to stay on as McLaren team principal this season or hand over to designated heir Martin Whitmarsh, team sources said on Monday.

They denied there was any pressure from engine partners Mercedes, who own 40 percent of the Formula One team, amid media reports of an imminent decision by the 60-year-old Briton.

Whitmarsh, currently McLaren chief executive, told Monday's Guardian newspaper that for the moment all the talk was mere speculation.

"I certainly think we need to stem the tide of the 'Ron has had it' coverage which we've seen in some sections of the media recently," he said.

"It's entirely, and I emphasise entirely, his decision if he decides he will have a change of role.

"There's no pressure either on me or from me," added Whitmarsh.

"I've been at McLaren for 19 years and am incredibly patient. Nor do I intend to be the Judas who knifed Ron in the back."

Dennis has already handed over much of the day-to-day running of the team to Whitmarsh and has talked in the past about his desire to stand back.

20. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    It sounds to me like Dennis will be handing over management of the race team to Whitmarsh but remaining as McLaren Group head. Isn't this basically the same thing that happened to Todt at Ferrari? He is no longer Team Principal but remains head of the Ferrari organization? McLaren is a huge group of companies, of which the racing operation is only a part.

By the way, given that Ron is an owner of the comapny and that the majority of shares are held by him and his supporters, exactly who is going to fire him? Mercedes? They only own 40% of the company. The only way Ron Dennis leaves is if he resigns, no one can fire him

21. bowbells

bowbells Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2008
    Guernsey
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    I think about it all the time.

trouble is, I am missing that one ingredient, CASH!

B.

22. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix

Yes.

23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
  24. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    Basically yes, but McLaren is a F1 team manufacturing cars, wheras Ferrari is a car manufacturer with a F1 team...

25. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    I was thinking about all their other divisions, not just their automotive division, they derive over half their income from non-racing activities according to their website.