Roma spider | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Roma spider

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Gianfranco341, Sep 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drkita

drkita Karting

Sep 21, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve Kita
    vcappp, mcimino, SVCalifornia and 3 others like this.
  2. drkita

drkita Karting

Sep 21, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve Kita

I agree Ferrari front engine spiders need to have a clean profile.

I think my 599 soft top mechanism can be reconfigured to fit the Roma. I made it from CNC milled Aluminum. The mechanism is all exposed.

I have a video on Youtube. check it out:

PICS:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

mcimino, anunakki, 456-boy and 2 others like this.
  3. 456-boy

456-boy Formula 3

Jun 23, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Victor
    Drkita,
    Your mechanism is fantastic! And it could perfectly feet a spider as I described and as you designed
    You already know my point of view of true spider and Barchetta (we had a long discussion on PM on Instragram last week about design and your projects).
    Any possibility to adapt standard rims on your design in order to compare your spider and the real Roma coupé?

drkita and Patricia2020 like this.
  4. drkita

drkita Karting

Sep 21, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve Kita

Here is a link to my jpg file on dropbox. Link expires in a week. My files are big. I print them to like 13"X30" on my printer.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1g15k30s11yuyqu/2020-ferrari-roma1Project21Rear.jpg?dl=0

5. drkita

drkita Karting

Sep 21, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve Kita

Well that last blue one has the original rims. I can delete the HRE wheels on the silver ones.
    I will upload them tonight.

I did lower the car by about 1 inch

Patricia2020 likes this.
  6. SilverLeaf

SilverLeaf Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
  7. 456-boy

456-boy Formula 3

Jun 23, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Victor
    Oups I didn’t see the blue one, sorry, my browser didn’t upload all the images properly.

This Roma in blue shade with the top removed is very elegant! I don’t see any point of having a Roma spider in the range, but as you designed it will be very nice.

8. drkita

drkita Karting

Sep 21, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve Kita
    You can see here the original files, and my photoshop changes w/o wheel swap.

Personally, I like to inch up the wheels, since it makes it always look closer to original design sketches.

I hate it when they show the sketches, and they have so much emotion, and impact, and they lose it in the final shape.
    A lot comes from the wheels being smaller.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

saadxj220, sl55, vcappp and 6 others like this.
  9. perrinnation

perrinnation Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2012
    The Detroit area
    Full Name:
    David
    That’s hot AF!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

NYC Fred, tomc and drkita like this.
  10. drkita

drkita Karting

Sep 21, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve Kita
  11. Patricia2020

Patricia2020 Rookie

May 28, 2019
    South Dakota
    Full Name:
    Pat
    Triple coat Blu Roma!

12. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I love 99% of this car except for that rear spoiler. It just does not work on a Ferrari.

The new Aston Vantage Roadster has a really simple and nice roof solution which I think would be perfect for the Roma.

Gianfranco341 and tomc like this.
  13. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Outstanding skills drkita
    Respect

drkita likes this.
  14. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I agree. Miller Motorcars has been putting out some great content lately. The AM Roadster top in action at 0:35.

Something like that on a Roma Spider would be killer.

T

15. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Side note I find it interesting that Aston now offers two completely different noses for the Vantage, and you can apparently order either. The newer, more traditional one is much nicer.

vcappp likes this.
  16. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Noticed that while playing with the configurator, which is so much more detailed than F's online configurator. Agree, the one you posted is much better looking...T

17. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    What is also interesting is that for the UK reviews they provided a car with the the traditional look grille which is essentially the DB10 grille and for the US reviews they provided a car with the new grille which just does not work (have seen this in real life and it really does not fit with the rest of the car imho).

vcappp likes this.
  18. Florida Joe

Florida Joe Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    South Florida
    What is more interesting is Aston has lowered their prices including the new DBX.

. https://www.carscoops.com/2020/09/aston-martin-cuts-prices-on-2021-dbx-and-vantage-in-the-u-s-a//URL]

Sent from my H8314 using [URL=http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=95338]FerrariChat.com mobile app

vcappp likes this.
  19. aobao1993

aobao1993 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2017
    Roma spider in 2021? really?

20. drkita

drkita Karting

Sep 21, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve Kita
    Yeah I think the new generation of soft top mechanisms uses the front part of the soft top profile as a tonneau cover so that you don't have a deck lid that has to open for the top to come out. Porsche does this as well, though it still has a deck lid that covers the rear half of the folded top. It's a clever and elegant way to do it, I prefer to not have any soft top material exposed.

IMO, the spoiler I think works like on the 599GTO.. Maybe this one looks a bit too much like the Aston Vantage spoiler.

Patricia2020 likes this.
  21. Patricia2020

Patricia2020 Rookie

May 28, 2019
    South Dakota
    Full Name:
    Pat
    I like the look of the spoiler, it brings out the rest of the design. IMHO It gives it a more aggressive but elegant look. It might have to be fine tuned for aerodynamic specs however.

tomc and drkita like this.
  22. drkita

drkita Karting

Sep 21, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve Kita
  23. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Aston Martin spoiler is right combo of sleek, but still know it's there, doing its job.
    T

24. SilverLeaf

SilverLeaf Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    #50 SilverLeaf, Sep 25, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    Coming back to the earlier discussions of the positioning of the Roma and Portofino, here are some interesting statements attributed to Ferrari's head of marketing...

https://www.carmag.co.za/news/ferrari-roma-is-not-closely-related-to-portofino-m-insists-italian-firm/

Ferrari’s head of marketing says the Roma is not nearly as closely related to the Portofino M as people seem to think.

Speaking to the global media during an online Q&A session attended by CARmag.co.za, Enrico Galliera, Ferrari’s chief commercial and marketing officer, said it was “very important” he clarified the differences between the two models.

“The Portofino M is not the open version of the Roma, exactly as the Roma is not the closed version of the Portofino,” Galliera said.

“They answer to different positioning and we believe that they are perfectly designed in order to co-exist in our product range.

Despite the Roma and Portofino M sharing a wheelbase (and now, thanks to the latter’s mid-cycle update and adoption of the “M” suffix, the 456 kW/760 N.m V8 engine, too), Galliera says they are quite different.

“This is clearly visible, even in the development of this car. The Roma is basically featuring components, starting from the chassis and the platform, which is 70 percent from the one of the Portofino M.

“The interior design, the exterior design, the HMI system, the aerodynamics – everything is different in order to deliver a different positioning of the car and a different answer to a different need.

“So, yes, we believe that they can easily co-exist in order to achieve different targets and so satisfy different profiles," he said.

Also from Forbes: https://www.forbes.com/sites/neilwinton/2020/09/18/ferraris-new-portofino-has-more-power-8-speed-gearbox-and-costs-4-more/#7be0143767d1

"According to investment bank UBS, Ferrari aims to grow, not through expanding volumes within models, but rather by introducing more models to attract a broader group of new customers. The Portofino is aimed at buyers between 35 and 45 with young families. The recently launched Roma is aimed at younger buyers between 30 and 40."

Kind of weird to aim the Portofino at young families...but ok. Makes me happy to know the Portofino isn't going away in favor of a Roma spider