Rolex 24 on Fox | FerrariChat

Rolex 24 on Fox

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by lorenzobandini, Jan 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 'Haven't seen coverage like this since SPEEDVISION !!!
    We supposedly only miss 1 hour, 5 minutes of live coverage...wow! :D

We'll see. :rolleyes:

2. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    As you say, we'll see...

It seems FOX always finds a way to bugger it up.

On the other hand, when I was a kid television coverage of the 24 Hours of Daytona
    was limited to a local Orlando station dispatching their plaid coat, "Ron Burgundy" hair
    and mustache-wearing sports reporter to DIS to sit in the grandstands with a camera, light
    and microphone to give five minute "hourly" updates.

Hourly in quotes because sometimes it would be two or even three hours between these
    reports so if you wanted to keep up with what was happening at Daytona, this was the
    only way to do it and you'd have to wade through the most insipid all-night horror
    movies of all time in between.

Then, to throw fans a bone, they'd cover perhaps the final half hour or so of the race
    live.

So, these days, we can't complain too much (but we still do).

BHW

3. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Thanks for the heads up. Kudos to Fox for airing the race, especially if they give it this much air time.

4. Don't even think about including me in that "we"... :p

As a kid, you had it good compared to me. NYC is in no way a race town...I hadda wait for R&T or C&D three months later (no, notta, in newspapers or television or radio news, 'cept for the Indy 500 coverwed live on an AM station and the bits and pieces of drag racing, Indycars and NASCAR on Wide World of Sports) 'til I discovered Autoweek and Competition Press in Sept. of '68 (yeah, I remember distinctly as I had now gone to heaven).

I would go to the race, but with this much coverage, and having hit the Sat. morn session of the Roar for my "live" fix of the cars, I'll pass. Maybe Sebring. 'Gettin' kinda old and tired, and as usual, I've already seen the best ('last, the ALMS). 'Still my passion, but the bonfire is gone; maybe not the fire , but definitely the bonfire.... :)

5. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    I hear ya (or actually read ya).

You're actually older than me so I won't hold that against you (for too long).

My first Daytona 24 Hours was in 1975 as a guest of Brumos Porsche, standing in the
    pits with Peter Gregg and Hurley Haywood. It was an insanely long event but my family
    indulged me and we stayed to the bitter end when the team won overall again.

At the time, remember well having to wait months to see any sort of reporting on
    events outside of the Tampa Tribune and Orlando Sentinel which did an excellent job
    covering racing back in those days.

Like you, I got Autoweek/Competition Press, starting around that same time, 1975.
    Subscribed to Autoweek as they produced an IMSA Camel GT guide which was a booklet
    with features on all of the tracks, drivers and the series. A year's subscription was like
    $4.79.

Back then, Autoweek and FORMULA was the only way to get any sort of real racing news.

So, we complain about the live coverage these days but its valuable to be mindful of how
    things used to be before TV had 400 channels and the Internet came along.

BHW

6. I don't complain. I've posted many a time regarding the non-entitlement that racing coverage is. Incessant whiners not understanding that TV stations are not philanthropic institutions and maybe if said whiners got off their duffs and sold the sufficient time slots for whatever station, they could surely get what they want. Apparently somebody has for FOX this year. (I hope...)

Otherwise (I don't mean to be rude or crude; nonetheless appropriate), STFU. ;)

7. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    As long as FOX doesn't cut away from the race to show very important NASCAR Truck
    testing from Bent Armpit, Mississippi, we should be fine.

BHW

8. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    or if they joined the 21st century and figured out live streaming :)

9. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    +1,000

10. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Ha!

And that too!

BHW

11. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Nice. A number of friends are racing in it this year in different classes, so I'll be more interested than normal.

12. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    At this point in January I get excited watching cars accelerate away from a red light ;)
    I so need to watch a live race ......... lots of coverage would be really really nice.