Rode in an STI today! | FerrariChat

Rode in an STI today!

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by LMP234, Aug 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LMP234

LMP234 Formula 3

May 8, 2004
    TN
    Full Name:
    Leon
    Driving down a main road in my incredibly slow, but incredibly quick looking supra. I see an Subaru WRX STI going down the opposite lane. He pulles a U turn, meets up with me (I could hear him coming a ways off...thanks HKS BoV!) and I pull into a parking lot.

We talk about our cars for awhile. His is incredibly quick, but looks stock. Mines incredibly slow, looks quick. He takes me for a ride...and all I can say is HOLY SH|T! He was boasting some 470hp. Had nitrous. 3inch downpipe. Tons of other engine work done. He said something about a central differential that allowed him to put 65% of the torque to the rear, 35% to the front. I was enjoying the ride to pay too much attention. I know a bunch of back roads near my house, and we went flying down those. Adrenaline is still pumping. You can take corners FAST in an AWD car. He also boasted a 12.3 second 1/4 mile. Which I can believe. He gave me the lowdown on his future plans for the car and it sounds like he'll have on sweet ride.

Overall great experience. If I get this excited over a modded STI I cant imagine what I'd do if I ever got to ride in a Ferrari/Lambo.

2. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    I don't know how to say this nicely......but here I go:

Either he told you the wrong amount of horsepower, or the wrong quarter mile time, or he just absolutely sucks at driver. An STi with 470hp is in 11's for sure...A stock STi is low-mid 13's with 300hp...

3. LMP234

LMP234 Formula 3

May 8, 2004
    TN
    Full Name:
    Leon
    Nono its cool. I questioned it myself cause I knew the stock STI times. But the guy was very nice and I wasnt going to be ****** to him calling him out on everything.

He said when he did go to the strip, he didnt run on race gas or use slicks though. And he only ran twice, first time he said he pulled a 12.4, second time a 12.2. I just kinda averaged for the post. This was supposedly before a few of his new upgrades, so whatever, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. He also complained about how hard it is to modify the American 2.5l engine.

4. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Ok, I'm glad you understand. I'm sure I'd have done the same thing in your situation. It definitely sounds like a badass ride though.

5. Ilya

Ilya Karting

Jul 14, 2004
    Socal
    Full Name:
    Ilya
    I heard that the turbos take up so much space that there is very little room in the hood to make any mods. I wonder what he did and how he fit it in.

Ilya

6. LMP234

LMP234 Formula 3

May 8, 2004
    TN
    Full Name:
    Leon
    Not sure, but he did say the same thing (about it being extremely compact underneath the hood).

7. mosqito16

mosqito16 Rookie

Feb 10, 2004
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The Subarus are quite crammed..But removing the cats and reflashing the ECU can yield huge power gains in the STi and WRX.