Rocks in the screens? | FerrariChat

Rocks in the screens?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Tim Ryan, Jul 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tim Ryan

Tim Ryan Karting

Jul 3, 2020
    Lincoln, California
    Full Name:
    Tim Ryan
  2. ScreaminRevs

ScreaminRevs Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Compressed air might work.

3. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Likely just got kicked up by the wheels into the splitter. I would take the fine end of a toothpick and push them out the opposite way

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. Lucasi

Lucasi Rookie

Aug 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Lucas Inlividendi
    Compressed air it should work well.

5. Tim Ryan

Tim Ryan Karting

Jul 3, 2020
    Lincoln, California
    Full Name:
    Tim Ryan
    I spoke to Ferrari San Francisco and the tech said a tooth pick might get them out?
    (Compressed air didn't work because the rocks are stuck between the screen and a plastic part)

I decided that I would lower the rear defuser and move the screens out to release the rocks that are jammed between the screen and the body.
    That was much hard to do than I expected. (I don't have a lift or ramps)

I removed the hardware from the defuser (Why must Ferrari use different sizes and types of hardware? I was in product development for almost 30 years, and we had to use the same hardware for each assembly to help in manufacturing) So anyway, I lowered the rear defuser and remove the bolts that hold the screens to the body, pulled on the screens and couldn't get the screens out far enough. I used a tooth pick and pushed the screens from behind. After about an hour of struggling pushing, picking, pulling and picking, I eventually removed all the little rocks.

I do hope that this doesn't become a frequent process just to keep the car looking fresh!

6. woody byrd

woody byrd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
    Ice pick will do it. Just takes a little time.

7. Tim Ryan

Tim Ryan Karting

Jul 3, 2020
    Lincoln, California
    Full Name:
    Tim Ryan
    Hi Woody Byrd,
    Some of the rocks were larger than the screen holes.
    I got all the rocks out, I'll just keep an eye on it. It may become a winter detail project for those rainy days.

8. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Life's too short to be spending hours picking pebbles out of grills. This will continue to occur so maybe just wipe some black shoe polish or black plastic renew over the stones so you can't see them and do the picking thing every other year.