Rob's Journal 2009 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Rob's Journal 2009

Discussion in 'Events Discussion' started by rob lay, Sep 8, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Thanks Ron. It took a LOT of work to get it to the point where I could drive it down to Eureka, but it was worth it! Vince Hill of Hill Automotive (a well deserved shameless plug) did a stellar job to get the car to this point and I am looking forward to getting the few remaining bugs worked out. This car will be driven and enjoyed. I do have to say that the sound and experience of driving this car are beyond description. It has taken top dog position in the garage, even above the Stradale.

I purchased this car through Ron Susser. It did not come quite as advertised as the previous owner was less than forthwright. However, Ron came through and made things right. Very pleased with my experience with him. Thanks Ron.

For those that have asked, it is a Jim Carpenter rebody car. Based on 330 GT #6067.

Hijack over. Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Steve

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Friday 9/11/09 - Report #7
    Miles Driven (since last report): 172
    Miles Driven (total): 782
    ---

After the tour of the Mount Magazine lodge we headed back North for the epic leg of the days driving. 1 leg, 170 miles, and guidelines were 3:30-4:00 hours. The Dallas gang of experienced club racers and energized after BBQ were on a carbon clearing mission. The route had us on 16 for awhile before rejoining 23 and the Pig Trail. We did the route close to 2:50 with a gas stop.

Back in town with a little time before the nights festivities we hit downtown for happy hour. The evening reception was special honoring the life of Marty and raising over $20,000 for the Nature Conservatory! Baker’s Lounge closed the night off again.

3. 4ARI

4ARI Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Northern, VA.
    Full Name:
    Ron S.
    Steve,
    I appreciate your positive comments about me and my services. The car is now in a good home and I can't be happier about it. Please enjoy it and let me know if we can work together again in the future.
    ROn

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #29 rob lay, Sep 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Saturday 9/12/09 - Report #8
    Miles Driven (since last report): 28
    Miles Driven (total): 810
    ---

Saturday morning the run out to the War Eagle Mill for the FerrariChat sponsored breakfast! I had the honors and took full advantage of them, David from Ruf on my tail. Pack from there back got stuck behind traffic and then a wrong turn. Luckily the Bambi on road wasn’t from our group, but I did high center on a few Squirrels that went airborne back towards David. Quick breakfast with the buffet style.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #30 rob lay, Sep 15, 2009
    Saturday 9/12/09 - Report #9
    Miles Driven (since last report): 35
    Miles Driven (total): 845
    ---

Jennie took a turn driving back from the Mill. We hit the car wash quickly before lining up for the parade. Actually enjoyed all the classic, muscle, and hot rod cars out. This is first time they shared a weekend with us and it added fun although slowing the parade to a crawl. Many more people out along the route to watch too.

Worked out great for Rob the Florida game was on and we could drink beers and look out over our cars and the downtown cruising from the 2nd floor open bar. We did a little pub crawl before heading up to the hotel to prepare for the nights festivities.

6. David Record

David Record Rookie

Sep 14, 2009
    and here I was worried about driving with the top down because of rain haha. I thought I was gonna have a squirrel for a hat! Such a great weekend. I'm glad to have met everyone that attended and hope to see you all again soon. Come down to Ruf for the tour!

btw, I stayed in that Room 218. Lets just say its haunted.

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #32 rob lay, Sep 15, 2009
  8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #33 rob lay, Sep 16, 2009
    Sunday 9/13/09 - Report #11
    Miles Driven (since last report): 0
    Miles Driven (total): 845
    ---

What is a Ferrari weekend without watching F1. Ruf Autocentre out of Dallas sponsored the F1 watching party in Baker's Lounge Sunday morning. How can you beat large screen TV and full breakfast buffet. Turned out to be a decent race and good turnout even from those that only went to bed a few hours before.

After the race, DFW crew set a target departure of 9:30 AM. Enjoyed watching the famed Masten Gregory support van being loaded. There is even a well preserved dent in the side where the "Kansas City Flash" walked straight into it one night lacking his glasses. What history! ;)

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #34 rob lay, Sep 16, 2009
    Sunday 9/13/09 - Report #12
    Miles Driven (since last report): 423
    Miles Driven (total): 1268
    ---

We had a good trip back, but it did rain 90% of the way. The train was going strong, reality shock to start hitting the city traffic North of Dallas. Left lane drivers and all, about turned back around to Eureka! :)

Doesn't the 328 look sad, will get it out this weekend and burn some carbon deposits.

Another great year!

10. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Did i ever miss a great group, although that photo of toga cloth in a van might give me some concern. knowing i was not able to attend i may ask for too much but here goes anyway, how bout a shirt, possible?

11. Rubi

Rubi Formula Junior

May 4, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    Eureka Springs. Man, some of that stuff looks familiar. Crescent Dragonwagon still have her place there?