Robb's F355 Challenge Car History and Restoration | Page 29 | FerrariChat

Robb's F355 Challenge Car History and Restoration

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by Robb, Feb 20, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    See post # 693 above.

Thanks much. I am looking forward to the next (solo) challenge project. And I still have my challenge research / features coming...

Robb

2. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Been a while since I posted...

We have been very busy with the construction of our new garage. The challenge car will have the main spot in the showcase until it moves in with a new owner at some point.

I have a new seatcover for the passenger side. We'll try to finalize that on our car soon.

Otherwise I will be attending the challenge race in Montreal at the Grand Prix behind the scenes and spending time with Barry at Lime Rock. Hope all are well.

Robb

3. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #703 308 GTB, May 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm looking forward to that, Robb. I know you'll enjoy the Secret Valley of Racing.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUQQ6JpGl3Y&t=3s[/ame]

:)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jasonberkeley and slracing like this.
  4. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
  5. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #705 Robb, Jun 11, 2017
    New stickers to add to our challenge car celebrating the 70th anniversary. These are on the nose and side glass of each 488 and 458 racing...

Thanks to Miller Motorcars and their Team for the great experience at the Ferrari Challenge in Montreal.

Robb

308 GTB likes this.
  6. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #706 Robb, Jun 11, 2017
    And the special credential. I got to retrace the footsteps of our challenge car.

Thank you Miller Motorcars and HP Tech Motorsport.

Robb

308 GTB likes this.
  7. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    It's been quite a while with lots of work, a garage build, and time with family, but I finally had some time to add some other items to the story of our challenge car. I wanted to post this story for the group. I don't think I shared it previously. Its a great read:

Forming the “Cable Trackers” team and purchase of 111869

By Tim Robertson, October 6, 2016

The “Cable Trackers” team came together in 1997 after an event that was organized by Frank Drendel at Road Atlanta that he called “Cable Trackers.” Several of us in the cable tv industry were car enthusiasts of varying levels; some owned sports cars, some sponsored race teams from open wheel to Nascar, some were actually licensed drivers from SCCA to Nascar, others were just plain motorheads. Frank had once owned part of Road Atlanta, so he invited a group of us to come down, with our cars, for a track day. In fact, he sent a CommScope hauler around to pick up several of the cars for the event. Among the notables were Roger Werner’s vintage Porsche Carrera RS Lightweight, Leo’s new 1997 Porsche Turbo S, Jimmy Dolan’s Ferrari 348 (although Jimmy missed much of the day due to a conflict), and several of Frank’s cars- a new Ferrari 355, a couple of rare Corvettes, an historic Winston Cup car, and his son, Matt’s BMW M3. Among other invitees were Joe Collins, CEO of Time Warner cable, Marvin Jones of TCI cable, Ed Breen of General Instruments and Dob Bennett of Liberty Media. Note that I haven’t mentioned my car.

Earlier in 1997 we sold our company, International Family Entertainment, owner of The Family Channel. My friend, Jake Steinfeld (of Body by Jake fame), talked me into giving myself a present. So we ordered matching Ferrari 550 Maranellos (same Blue Pozzi as the later F355 Challenge). Jake was good friends with the Ferrari NA president, Gian Luigi Buitoni, and had called me with the news that Gian Luigi could hook us up. I suggested that maybe we could get a package deal, to which Buitoni’s classic response was, “You’re getting a deal… Ferraris.” Well, as is often the case, they were late.

Jake was in the process of trying to get subscribers for a network called FitTv, which we had launched together when I was running International Family Entertainment, and he was trying to grow it under its new ownership from Fox. I was a little upset that I was about to miss Frank’s event due to lack of a car so I called Jake. He agreed to call Gian Luigi to see if we might be able to get some demos, since coming up with a car would get Jake invited to the event as well. This would give him valuable time with some of cable tv’s biggest decision makers. There was also an outside chance that our 550’s might show up. Well, Jake got Gian Luigi to agree to help us out, but he wouldn’t commit to anything specific. There was also an outside chance that our 550’s might show up.

When we got to the hotel, we still didn’t know what was waiting for us, but the next morning was pretty dramatic. There was a light fog over the track when we showed up, and there, through the mist next to the pits, was this huge red hauler with a black prancing horse logo on it. On cue, as if from central casting, out walks Gian Luigi, hair slicked back, Euro jeans, and a mid-length Ferrari testing jacket.

Next to the hauler were two F355 Challenge cars and a red 550 Maranello. As if this weren’t enough, they had a tent set up with an espresso machine ready to go. It was pretty impressive. Next, Gian Luigi introduced us to Didier Theys, a Ferrari test driver, who was there to take us on hot laps for track familiarization before we could drive the cars. Wow! Everybody enjoyed driving many of the cars the guys brought, but the major hit were the Challenge cars. Why not? The cars were set up for racing with slicks, roll cages, etc. The street cars were no match for these race cars - no matter how cool. All I can say is that Gian Luigi set the hook, but he didn’t have to reel us in. We practically jumped into the boat.

Since Frank had a personal relationship with Steve Barney, we chose Foreign Cars Italia as our sponsor dealer. This also helped given their proximity to CommScope’s base of operations and Frank’s large hauler. Leo, Marvin, Matt Drendel, and I all ordered cars for the 1998 season, and the rest is history. All four cars were ordered and delivered at the same time. The first time we got to see and drive them was at the Homestead, Florida race in early 1998. We sent one of the crew guys to a marine store to put “awl grip” on the metal floors so that our shoes wouldn’t slip. A later mod was to replace the OEM factory leather door panels (imagine leather panels in a race car!) with carbon fiber sheets. The CommScope techs did this for us.

I picked blue pozzi because it was a different color other than typical Rosso Corsa. Later, in 1999, I added dark orange stripes because I was on the board of my alma mater, UVA, whose colors are navy and orange. I chose the number 91 for the car. It’s from the 91st Psalm, v11: “He shall give His angels charge over you.” As a rookie driver, I figured I needed all the help I could get.

Memorable moments on the series were many. I met Paul Newman at Lime Rock. He was a very nice guy, already into his 70s. He missed a shift right in front of me heading into Big Ben and I almost ran up his tailpipe during the race. That would have been a great headline. Fortunately, I was able to get around him. My favorite track was Road Atlanta. It was even better before they put in the left-right turns at the end of the back straight. Other favorites are Laguna Seca, because of the amazing uphill/downhill Corkscrew, Lime Rock, where we set up only for right hand turns, throwing away the lefts and got our best finish, and Montreal, because of the adrenaline rush of racing in front of the F1 crowd on such an amazing race surface.

Because of Leo and Marvin’s relationships with cable networks, we got The Discovery Channel, Starz, and Speedvision as sponsors, and Frank Drendel brought in CommScope, General Instruments, and Antec. For 1999 and 2000, I used my start-up dot-com, FamilyClick, as a sponsor as well. When Roger Werner joined as a driver, we added Ferrari of Atlanta as a sponsor dealer and they took care of Roger and my cars.

JAM1, StregaP, rampante550 and 3 others like this.
  8. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  9. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    @Robb

Hey Robb. I can’t seem to find much info on the suede 348 steering wheel. I’m being offered one, but can’t pinpoint a fair price. Is it a discontinued item? The horn is also missing.

Jasonberkeley and NürScud like this.
  10. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    It is a discontinued item. I bought mine for 650 a couple years before the bubble and before I even bought the challenge car. Then most challenge parts got unobtainable. I would guess they would go somewhere between 650 and 1000. A new momo metal wheel with suede goes for less than 300 to give you a comparable item. You might be able to buy a standard 348 wheel and reupholster in suede but I’m not sure how close a match it is...

Not all horn buttons fit. So you may have to try 2 or 3. Daniel at Ricambi sourced mine. The horn button edge goes inside the opening and slots into the groove... it does not sit outside the rim.

Robb

Yassa and ShineKen like this.
  11. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    This 348 challenge steering wheel also appeared on early 355 challenge cars? Thanks for the tip on the horn button. I was going through your thread trying to figure out what was going on there.

12. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Jasonberkeley and Robb like this.