Robb's F355 Challenge Car History and Restoration | Page 28 | FerrariChat

Robb's F355 Challenge Car History and Restoration

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by Robb, Feb 20, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    David,

Are you wanting more info on the special major sponsors on our car (like Discovery Channel) or all general series sponsors (like Pirelli) on all F355 challenge?

Robb

2. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #677 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Nov 13, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
    Hey, I was just wondering if it was true to the historical record. Now that I see more I was not paying close enough attention! As an early Challenge fan- all I can say is beautiful job on on the car, and thanks for brining attention to this historic series. The longest running series of "Gentlemen and Professional Racers". Yes -there have been some pro drives in this series.

I thought for a second about brining my car back to historical track configuration, but also wanted to drive it as a "road rally" and event car.

With the World Challenge coming to Daytona, why aren't they having a display for cars like yours? Or at least one of each model so you can see the progression?

It looks like these cars are gaining momentum as collectible. Long ago I thought it would be neat to have the best of one of each model, and drive them on track. It would be cool to see an impression from an automative journalist point of view or say Top Gear. Back to back drives. I'd like to see this. The performance and safety progression is astounding from the 348 to now or soon to be 488. Imagine what it is like to experience this in incremental levels based on each new model.....it would be very cool.

3. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Rob,

Congrats! Glad to see you finally got her out to a race track. I was amazed how good these cars are out of the box when I was at Laguna. A friend who shared my car came in after one session and shook his head saying these things in full Challenge form would have been unbelievable back in the 90's The thing I couldn't get over was the steering and the balance of the car. And I was not running slicks or the full Challenge springs. Yes I wish it had another 100 hp or more but otherwise it was near perfect.

4. slracing

slracing Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Europe
    Your smile says it all Robb...Finally tracking "her" B-) I`m so happy for you, after all the preparations, passion, "blood & sweat & tears" you put into it. Thanks for sharing the experience with us and I`m just waiting for the continuation...;-)

5. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    Robb, happy to read that you enjoyed your Challenge car at the track.

6. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Thanks for your kind remarks David. Yes the car is true to historical record other than the Nero paint vs the Pozzi blue. Only other difference is the NART badges on the side where shields were used back in the day.

We went through a long process of research, gathering historical photos, and contacting past team members to share in their memories and personal photos and effects. I highly encourage all owners to go the same route.

One of the greatest things that the challenge cars can do (other than superior driving experience) is connect you and the public with its history and the stories surrounding the people and places they took the cars.

Ferrari NA has been in touch with several owners. The cars, drivers, teams, and series will definitely continue to be celebrated and sought after.

Robb

7. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #682 Robb, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Amazing weekend at the racetrack. The car can do fantastic things and is one of the prettiest on the track. It was definitely "the business."

Robb
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Thanks Robb! Just beautiful....

9. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    It's all business!

Looking good, Robb!

Barry

10. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #685 Robb, Nov 16, 2016
    The cabin is tight with the cage, and helmet with me at 6'.

We may see if we can lower the seat another inch with special seat mounts other than the stock OMP ones.

The wheel and pedal distances are good.

Once you start rolling, though - your focus only turns toward the driving...

Robb

11. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Great photo, Robb. Glad you had a fun and safe time on the track :)

12. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    #687 ShineKen, Dec 2, 2016

Hey Robb,

One of my challenge seats that just came in matches your driver's side seat (doesn't have the "ferrari challenge patch"). It is in a condition you might be satisfied with.

I am looking to re-upholster both my seats in alcantara, so I might not need the nomex skin anymore after that. Could be up for sale if you're interested.

There is some slight fade/wear on the bottom left bolster and upper right shoulder.

13. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Ken, will send you a PM.

Robb

14. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
  15. thibaut

thibaut Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Thibaut A.
    i am 6'2'' and I designed some bespoke mounts, removing the sliding adjustment system (don't know if that was standard but was on both seats in my car). That's about as low as it can go and using the correct VID Carbon seats I am still tight with helmet on. I need to slide a bit down the seat. If you find a better mounts, let me know, I may want to copy them.

16. gsm348

gsm348 Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #691 gsm348, Feb 5, 2017
  17. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Greg,

That's it with one of it's Chicago owners. I'll pm you my address. Thanks much for preserving the history of these cars.

Robb

18. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #693 Robb, Feb 22, 2017
    It's been a great run over the last two years with the ownership and restoration of our F355 Challenge.

Getting our car sorted was a wonderful experience that I would like to repeat by restoring another Ferrari challenge car in my new garage. My brother would like to go in a different direction this time and try another Ferrari road car to go in his garage.

I've enjoyed meeting other challenge owners worldwide and look forward to continuing my research here on the challenge series and photographing other owner's and their cars during my travels. I hope to be on track with them again in another Ferrari Challenge car soon. Not sure on which model I will go with this round, but it will be another great journey. I am thankful for the camaraderie of the group and am happy to help other Challenge owners with their cars.

Please contact me if you know of someone interested in this very unique F355 Challenge. I'm happy to discuss its extended history and background prior to putting out a full sale listing in the spring.

Robb

[email protected]

19. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken

Someone is going to get a nice car!

20. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Thanks much Ken.

Robb

21. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Even better, they are going to get a car with a ton of documentation and a great story.

22. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #697 Robb, Mar 5, 2017
  23. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004