Roads... | FerrariChat

Roads...

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by renman95, Oct 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. renman95

renman95 Karting

Jul 16, 2016
    Oahu, leeward side
    Full Name:
    D8LF
    on Oahu...SUCK!

I think I can feel my car's pain.

Where do the DMV fees go to? Definitely not the roads(!?!)

Drivers...arguably the slowest in the world. But, they are some of the nicest...always courteous, letting one in, flash the shaka and you're golden...everyone's happy.

No one honks. Go to India, drivers are required to honk when they pass another vehicle. It's maddening.

(rant out)

Aloha

2. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    There needs to be more signs that say "SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT". I think a lot of people missed that question on their drivers exam. And the one about pedestrians having the right of way. Just because someone is walking in the street, doesn't mean they want to get splattered.

3. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I think you'll discover directional indicators were an option on cars sold in Hawaii.

4. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    No honking? Only 'cause I haven't lived there in 24 years, bruddah. :)

5. Doc_K

Doc_K Karting

Oct 19, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Full Name:
    Ian K.
    I hate driving here so bad. Can't wait to go back to the mainland.

6. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I am a little embarrassed to even compare what we have for driving compared to almost anywhere else. Very sad.

7. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    I enjoy driving the BI; especially Saddle Rd, and the road to the top of Mauna Kea.

8. Doc_K

Doc_K Karting

Oct 19, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Full Name:
    Ian K.

Come to Oahu. ;)

9. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    I just came back from a couple of weeks driving around Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Vermont. The roads were a revelation! Even two lane roads in the rural areas were smooth and pot hole free. We visited a farm that was on a dirt road out in the deep woods. This dirt road was smoother and in better condition than some of Honolulu's streets. Amazing!

10. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    I guess. Honolulu blows but driving the roads north of Wahiawa is nice. Slow paced, yes. But pleasant. I can imagine it would be maddening in a sports car, though. Other than Honolulu or Kam highway on a weekend, I kinda enjoy the relaxed nature of things on O'ahu.

11. renman95

renman95 Karting

Jul 16, 2016
    Oahu, leeward side
    Full Name:
    D8LF
    Maybe karma caught up to me(?) As we know once the rain dissipates there are new potholes...everywhere. Well, I hit a new one while driving my Porsche. I made it home, I was close. I dug out the required tools under the hood and 'old-schooled' my left rear tire off, inspected it and found that it was just a nail. I took the tire to Goodyear for repair. Standby for the climactic end to this saga....

12. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Ouch. Tire poked. Time for you to get some Poke!

I recently bought a '71 Bronco and have been driving it around Waialua...mostly picking up my girls from school or for trips to Heleiwa to surf. Those pot holes rattle the heck out of it!

13. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    How did they repair it? Plug or patch? I have a plug kit and have gotten quite adept at using it. It's the old cord, glue and reamer kit, but have thought about getting some new tech stuff like Dynaplug or Stop and Go.

14. renman95

renman95 Karting

Jul 16, 2016
    Oahu, leeward side
    Full Name:
    D8LF
    So I go back to Goodyear and the counter clerk takes me back into the garage to show me my tire. He says that it wasn't just a nail, the inside tire wall shredded in four separate areas, several inches long each. I don't remember hitting a pothole so severe to cause so much damage. Luckily the rim is fine.

Okay, so I'll just get a replacement...Toyo Proxes something-something 265/35R18. It has a cool tread design. Easy, right? No can find. Toyo no longer makes that type. In fact, I can't find anything similar which means now I have to buy four new tires. I could just buy two for the rear but I noticed some sidewall cracks on the front two tires. So, might as well. First World problems...

15. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    In a Third World state (in a good way)...

16. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    When you lose air in your tire, and you drive on it, the interior of the sidewall rubs. When they removed the rim, most likely there was a lot of rubber "dust" in the tire.

17. renman95

renman95 Karting

Jul 16, 2016
    Oahu, leeward side
    Full Name:
    D8LF
    You're right...and add a few turns at high speed and there you go...

I put the spare on in the meantime (I'm not driving it, it's just sitting in the garage). My son sees the red painted spare and asks if that's a new tire(?) I just shake my head.

So, now it's all on the back burner. I'm looking for decent looking tires. I'm not happy with what I'm finding. What's happened to tread design?

I should post a pic of the tire in question.

18. renman95

renman95 Karting

Jul 16, 2016
    Oahu, leeward side
    Full Name:
    D8LF
    #18 renman95, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I have a set of T1Rs in 19". They are very noisy when they get old. How hard do you drive your car?

20. renman95

renman95 Karting

Jul 16, 2016
    Oahu, leeward side
    Full Name:
    D8LF
    Not hard at all here. When I used to live on the Central Coast, CA I drove it hard. There were great roads around the vineyards and Hwy 1 was always fun north of Morro Bay, but that was a long time ago.

21. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    My 996tt is on 18" Sumitomos and the ride is good and the tires are quiet. I rarely jump on it as my drive is usually city and only a couple miles on the freeway. I like the Sumis better than the T1Rs.

My 987 runs on 18" BFG and they stick well, but have become a little noisy as they age.

22. renman95

renman95 Karting

Jul 16, 2016
    Oahu, leeward side
    Full Name:
    D8LF
    "Surprise! Surprise! Surprise!" My rant on the roads last year may have helped our local roads, lol. Since then, Kapolei Blvd has been resurfaced from Eva Beach to Kapolei Halle. Other joining roads like Geiger have as well. It's enjoyable to drive local now, but once I get out of the 96706 area, it's back to norm...yuck.