Road Trip! | FerrariChat

Road Trip!

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by NeedSpace, Aug 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NeedSpace

NeedSpace Karting

Nov 23, 2012
    Bergen County NJ
    Finished the timing belt and water pump replacement a few weeks ago on my 82 Mondial 8 (which went off without a problem). This weekend I decided to push the limit with my car and drove it to cape cod, a 500 mile trip.

The trip went off with little problem. It was a little hot with no AC, and the rain was a bit of a nuisance (as the wipers are super slow). But she acted as you would want her to. I even got 18 MPG! The only issues I had was:
    1) tachometer still continues to jump (problem since I have owned it)
    2) lights dim and brighten
    3) when it rains a lot, the "brake failure" light comes on dimly (problem since I owned it).

I think issue 2 and potentially issue 1 are related. Im thinking perhaps a bad ground or bad contact. I am going to rebuild my battery shut off, this acts a little squirrely and when I repositioned it, the lights only dimmed twice the whole ride home, compared to about once every 30 seconds on the drive up. If not, I am thinking I should test my alternator and possibly get a rebuild. When I drive the car, the charge doesn't go above 13.1 which feels low.

At the end of it, though, I am pumped. Not bad for a long trip with a family of 3 and a bunch of bags.

Happy Driving!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Road trips are always fun! For people on the road it's also fun to see such a classic!

How is the behavior experience of your Mondial after so much miles? In general they like to stretch their legs!

3. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
  4. NeedSpace

NeedSpace Karting

Nov 23, 2012
    Bergen County NJ
    My car only had about 24000 miles when I bought it, it had sat for a LONG time before the owner I bought it from did a bunch of sorting. He ran into financial problems and that became my opportunity to take ownership. I like to drive my classics and put a little mileage on them, so I almost have 30k on it after 4 years. To that end you are right. Since I purchased her, she continues to run smoother and smoother. I am also slowly sorting little issues here and there that have really made her quite reliable. So I have driven 2 hours to altantic city and 2 hours and 4 hours to montauk and now the 4 hour trip to cape cod. The engine just sings, almost like she's been tired of sitting around so long!

I also cannot deny, I love the thumbs up I get while driving her. :)

DocBasilone likes this.
  5. NeedSpace

NeedSpace Karting

Nov 23, 2012
    Bergen County NJ
    DocBasilone likes this.
  6. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    I'm curious -- how were your back and legs after several hours of driving? I was contemplating taking the Mondi on a road trip this summer (also to Cape Cod, but from Chicago), and I'm kind of glad I didn't b/c there really isn't a place to rest or stretch your left foot. I wonder what's the maximum time I could sit in the driving position (?).

Where on the cape were you? That's another thing I actually thought about: exposing that delicate Ferrari steel to the salt air.

7. NeedSpace

NeedSpace Karting

Nov 23, 2012
    Bergen County NJ
    All excellent questions. the drive up was 4 hours. The mondi seats are hard...like they were carved from wood and covered with leather! After 2 hours my back was sore, the last 2 hours was making me rethink my decision. As a reference, I dont have back problems but I am in my early 50s. The way back I did 2 things to help, 1) put a rolled towel on my lower back, it made a very big difference. 2) I stopped half way for a 2 hour break to visit my brother and grab dinner. That made a big difference. My back was a little sort, but not nearly as bad as the ride up. From Chicago, I would be concerned at that distance if I were frank. For 2 hour trips, I only feel a slight tinge in my back, after that it starts to act up.

For my next long trip, I am going to seek out a car cover...I wonder if temperpedic makes car seat covers!

8. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I think it it depends also on your height for these seats. I'm not that tall and I can sit for 5hrs strait hand just step out like I just sat for 5min. We drove 2 years back with a bunch of Mondials to Italy approx 800miles and drove almost all day in Italy that week and back home again. For me the seats are perfect.

Even with my old man (being from 1939) with whom I did the same trip said after arrival in Italy he said he had a wonderful seat time. Not sure if he was enjoying the view in front of him looking at Ferrari buds :) Need to say I had my doubts if I could sit out such a trip as they are hard seats indeed, but for me it works out and haven't heard the other guys about there back or that we needed to pull someone out on a stretcher though we drove 4 or 5 hours in a row.

9. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I’m six foot tall and I find the seats of my 3.2 to be very comfortable. Initially, what I didn’t like is the off set petals but I got used to them.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. DocBasilone

DocBasilone Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    NW PA
    Brave man Im still squeamish about a log drive maybe soon