Road & Track "P.S." Boxer Photo | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Road & Track "P.S." Boxer Photo

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by gsm348, Nov 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I realize that it doesn't have the same significance as the original photo, but I'd prefer one of the shots with only the car and the trees (no road, no people, no caption) -- perhaps, it will become another piece of history...

2. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    What a great insight into this famous photo.

I have to confess that I never looked at the car that closely in the original 1983 shot and somehow had just assumed it was a 308 until I read about the story behind it here.

3. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Great story there Tony, thank you!
    That plate PZJ 750 may have been on something else to as it was originally issued around 1980 approximately.
    Cam Champion sold lots of 'performance cars' there in St Kitts.
    CH

4. mrp_e

mrp_e Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Coasts
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Incredible find, the photographer and even the sad recent passing of the driver.

I used this photo recently in a company training exercise about who we think we are, what we're interested in, so on.

Absolutely count me in for the print order, if anyone's counting. I'll take mine large, with the caption, that's it. No side-bar images, collages, whatever.

5. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Like everyone else who has that picture and quote etched in their memory, I think it's so cool to get the background on the event. Didn't see it asked in the thread, but were you at the location by chance or did you happen to be riding with him?

Thing about the picture that struck me at the time was how cool the guy was after having damaged a (what I thought) was an irreplaceable and costly piece of machinery - it's good to be rich, I thought!

6. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    correct CH O-1979 P-1980 R-1981

7. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Wow! Fantastic story!! Thanks for sharing Tony.

I had always wondered about the history of that photo.

8. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    So glad that you did solve our mystery - as you now know, many, many of us remember that "PS", even outside of the Ferrari community.

The story just gets more interesting every step of the way. Sounds like Henry B was a great character in his own way.
    Thank you, again, for sharing this.

9. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Just now saw this..... That photo is truly wonderful :)

Can't blame the driver for lighting up a cig while he stands there looking the scene over ! That would be the first thing I would do ---- well, not anymore now as I quit last year ---- although something like that could almost be enough to make me start again LOL ;).

10. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Personally, I've never cared for the caption. Doesn't "do it" for me.

11. clm412

clm412 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    CM
    I'd also be in for a print. This is one of my all time favorite photos. A signed/numbered limited run would be amazing.

12. Pranucci

Pranucci Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 17, 2005
    Carpinteria, CA
    I remember seeing that in R&T. Count me in for a print.

13. johnb@macarbon

johnb@macarbon Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    John Borchelt
    I think this really is the key - at least for me. As a pimply teenager, I so wanted to be him.... have the Ferrari, the nice threads, the implied wealth, the lack of concern about the crash. The tire quote perfectly captures the essence of that nonchalance and I think is what makes it so memorable. A 'normal' person, such as me, would be thinking - as I wound up doing more than a few times - "Oh man, dad's going to kill me".

14. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'd like to buy a print too.
    That '83 issue of R&T was one of the first I bought, still have it in the library too.

M

15. 412monzaindy

412monzaindy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    Tony

I am 20 minutes away. I'll trade you a BB drive for a photo. We can do a photo shoot as a follow up. Just not with my BB in the forest.

I do remember when that happened...

16. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #91 BigTex, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Note in his obit, the coverage of the Kristen French murder.........that ^%$^$&%$ Karla Homolka.

Good they finally burned the tapes...

Apologies for the derail......
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David
    #92 PINNIN512, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
    Awsome! Please count me in for a print.

Actually all the photos you have all look interesting along with your story - i would like a copy of your proof sheets if available.

Dave

18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Lets not forget that TRX tires really are crap, especialy in the wet.

19. petearron

petearron Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    jeff
    Wow how cool, I bet R&T would like the story behind this as well with your pic collection

20. mechaniker

mechaniker Formula Junior
    Owner

May 30, 2004
    Germany
    As it seems to be a carb. BB, it has XWX Tires. But you are right, modern tires are much better!

21. RedFlyer512TR

RedFlyer512TR Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Full Name:
    Timothy
    Hello All,

I did a search on eBay for the magazine referred to here and found it:

Road Track Best of PS 1855204770 | eBay

I would like a print also.

This discussion proves again that a Ferrari makes life special. If it were any other car, it would just be a car in a ditch.

22. tonyrobertson

tonyrobertson Karting

Mar 2, 2013
    Well, that offer might have appealed to me in 1983!

To answer a few questions, I was on my way to an assignment when I passed this. Even though just the nose could be seen, I know immediately what it was. Remember the BB is red, and stood out much more than it does in these photos.
    I had to drive quite far up the hill to find a place to pull over and run back.
    An old rule of photojournalism is "f8 and be there".
    Petearron, I have been thinking the same thing, but not sure R&T accepts reader submissions.
    But maybe a Ferrari magazine might be interested if the photo is as iconic as you all seem to think. And is just iconic with the Boxer crowd, or all Ferraristas?
    What is the best Ferrari magazine out there, in your opinion?
    Tomorrow I hope to speak with a guy who was a salesman at Performance at that time.
    He may have a bit of insight as to what became of this particular BB. He runs a MB dealership now, but today was his day off.

I did a little print pricing today. For a print roughly 20X30, we'd be looking at a price of about $200. on fuji photographic paper, or $300. on giclee (a higher quality fibre paper). Signed, limited edition, not mounted, shipped in a tube. Not sure about the caption yet, as I think I would need to get permission from Peter Egan..or not. Let me know if those prices are acceptable. I would prefer to only do one or the other; not both.
    Thanks all, and I am really quite humbled to think that this photo means so much to so many people. Who knew!
    Here is something I worked on a little more recently. Hope you like it.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpu9Jw9B0o8]CW GM Cuba DC - YouTube[/ame]

23. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    Newman! Ontario!

Also: Other threads on fchat will note the tobaccophile driver is wearing white shoes -- totally out of style/fashion/appropriateness for the time of year....

24. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    OK .... late to THIS party too. I'm in for print. Heck, even printing the posted contact sheets on my inkjet would be great!

mrp_e: Good thing The Key Swap didn't turn out this way!

25. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

No, it's definitely a Ferrari thing. I remember being in the library studying ( jr. high) and picked up the R &T mag off the shelf for a break. I still remember seeing the pix and of course Magnum PI being on TV after school (syndication ) I thought it was a 308....my favorite car! ....after the Countach of course ;) lol

That pix has stuck with me ever since. I really liked the "Ferrari -coolness" of the driver just having wrecked or at least scratched his Ferrari and waiting for tow truck in such a casual manner.

This moment came back to me recently where I had the mirror of my Testarossa snapped off due to a random fight outside a night club. When I was called out of the club everyone was expecting me to freak, yell and scream and the only thing I was thinking was, oh well, that's the way it goes. I examined it, left it there and went back into the club. Everyone that had gathered just had a dumbfounded look as I just walked away....with my Long Island Ice Tea.

He's on Miami time...

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice!