Road Report, as of 12/7, brine chemicals on major Northern VA roads | FerrariChat

Road Report, as of 12/7, brine chemicals on major Northern VA roads

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by XS29L9B, Dec 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. XS29L9B

XS29L9B Karting

Feb 23, 2008
    ...in my garage
    In anticipation of the snow Saturday, VDOT began to spray major roads (like the Parkway, etc.) w/ chemical to treat. They also hit bridges on secondaries, too.

Looks like the fun cars are off the road until at least the first "good" rain after the snow.

I am sure I 95/495/and 66, if they could spray them overnight, will also be treated.

Here's to winter hibernation, and high performance snow blowers. Cheers.

2. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Yes, the brine solution is a major improvement for VDOT treating the road for snow storms.

The problem is it almost doubles the number of days you can't drive nice cars during the winter months.

Now, the 2 or 3 nice days prior to a storm, the roads are covered with brine dust.

3. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Incredible the EPA allows this crap to be used. Last year 10 million tons of road salt was used. That's 20,000,000,000 pounds. And in some places you can wash your car at your house because it might pollute the ground water.

jrinehart likes this.
  4. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Tomorrow’s rain should wash it away, so hopefully a last drive of the year...

5. XS29L9B

XS29L9B Karting

Feb 23, 2008
    ...in my garage
    Hopefully!! This morning was a gorgeous overcast morning, and quite warm. Good for car washing. Used the leaf blower to get water out of the crevices. Roads still wet from overnight, and the brine/sand/salt mix still on roads. Never wished for so much rain as now... But snow next weekend again. :(

6. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Lots of rain in DC and MD yesterday...

Hoping the roads look good so we can resume our driving/riding season!

7. XS29L9B

XS29L9B Karting

Feb 23, 2008
    ...in my garage
    All it did in VA was wet the roads. I saw where some sand/salt/brine was swashed towards the edges, but it's still there.

Did ride the 2 wheeler Friday, carefully.

8. XS29L9B

XS29L9B Karting

Feb 23, 2008
    ...in my garage
    ...and sadly, with the dusting yesterday and tons of whatever was dumped (by VDOT/Contractors) on the roads, the driving season is officially OVER.

Took the SUV to lunch today and saw nothing interesting on the roads. Blah.

9. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Howard, Montgomery and Northern PG County look pretty good today. Lots of rain yesterday!

10. XS29L9B

XS29L9B Karting

Feb 23, 2008
    ...in my garage
    Lines at area car washes were long this weekend. I washed 4 cars at my house, and wished we had rain to wash the remnants from the asphalt. Maybe this week.

11. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    MD north of DC looks excellent.

I was surprised to see contracted street sweepers driving along shoulders of the major roads cleaning up salt and debris last week.

Thank you to the person who made that decision.