Road America Vintage Historical races | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Road America Vintage Historical races

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by F1tommy, Sep 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GG Allin

GG Allin Karting

Nov 11, 2007
    I'd love to know the circumstances that got a 936 out there. Not a whole lot of them to begin with. And I'm not aware that any are in private hands. But I'm no expert.

2. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    If I remember correctly that was a Joest car originally.

3. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Please correct me if I'm wrong but the claim here is that the fall vintage event has been over run with lesser cars which has scared away the better and more valuable cars? Its also suggested that the cars now be classified or grouped based on value rather than the traditionally used classes? Ie: CanAm A for car over X$ and CanAm "B" for cars under X$?

4. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    We are just talking about the August vintage races. The fall event was always a lower profile event. Overrun is not the best word, but yes they should start trying to protect the valuable cars better along with courting the owners to come back like they used to do. Or they can continue doing what they are doing and have very few good cars show up. Like it or not that is not a claim but a fact. Having a high end collector class would not be a bad idea I think, more of a show class than race class. You could keep the other classes also.

5. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    The August Races? I've been going to the BRIC (july) for 20 years and always wanted to make it back down for the september VSCDA? races but never have. What event is in August? I'd be interested to check it out.

6. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Sorry I meant July. I been going to the BRIC formally the Chicago Historics since 1988. You have to admit it is not what it used to be.

7. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Yeah I agree....essentially. The event has definitely grown in numbers but I too have noticed the top tier cars have declined. I'm not in the "know" enough to say why. I once overheard someone say "they (BRIC organizers) wont turn away cars". Essentially meaning replicas, or scratch built cars without actual historic pedigree's can get in. Whether or not thats the reason top tier cars now stay away; not willing to race/risk their cars racing with the "unwashed masses" or "replica cars" again, I cant say.

Vintage racing has grown, which means there are more events around the country, perhaps some budgets dictate to only run a couple events per year and for some BRIC fell off their radar despite being the best track in the country.

Yeah for sure there were a slew of Lola T70's, 512 BB's, a pair of twin orange 1970 ford trans am mustangs, Paul Newmans Daytona, the Echidna my buddy John Staver built in the 50's the, penske trans am cars, Jägermeister porsches, and many others I've not seen in years.

I'm just saying there may be many other factors on why those cars and owners stopped coming from personal economics, more events around the country, their cars rising in value, cost of spare parts...lots of things other than just fear of racing against lesser cars.

8. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I saw a video from this year with around 25-30 vintage prewar cars running at the Road America vintage races. That's a good sign they are expanding and trying to improve the experience. The vintage stockcar display also included a few very good ones. We will see if they can bring back the quality level again but they do seem to be trying.