RM will auction Ponder Collection in April | Page 4 | FerrariChat

RM will auction Ponder Collection in April

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by enriquelanda5, Feb 1, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Even crazier was that the Alfa 6c2300B sold for almost a million daollars. It is NOT a real 6c2300B MM. It was a single carb Alfa 6c2300B SEDAN, rebodied in the last 20 years or so, with the 2 carb intake manifold from a 6c2300B MM added. To me, it is a $200,000 car at best. Heck, a REAL 6c2300B MM sold for around $400,000 not that long ago!

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Well, I don't think any recreation or replica is worth even $1, but this one supposedly is one of the nicest in the world. Don't know the full story, but a murdered Ferrari as base and then all construction was done in Italy by as close to original hands as possible with a recreation.

3. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    I saw the estimated prices on ebay, but there were items with extreme high values.
    Pocher 1/8 scale F40 and testarossa modells for $1000,-???
    You can buy them at ebay for $250,- every week.

I don't know where they were sold for, but it kept me from bidding..

4. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    The money some of these cars brought is amazing (I'm being kind) and yet the 330GTS barely exceeded the low estimate.

Jack

5. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    I will never understand why folks dont like replicas/recreations. They are toys. Nothing more, nothing less... just big boys toys meant for some hard core playing. I would love to have that 250TR replica so I could vintage race and rally it flogging the daylights out of it free from worry.

Even events like the Goodwood Revival are allowing in really high quality replicas these days. Owners and enthusiasts both driving and spectating want to experience these cars being driven and used as they were meant to. The originals are far too valuable. So running facsimile quality replicas is the perfect solution.

If someone gets a race series going based on '55 - '62 sports racing car replicas (C-Type, D-Type, Cunningham, Maser 300S, 300SLR, 550 spider, RS60, Ferrari Monzas, 335S, TR's galore, GTO's, SWB's, Scarab...) with cars available for under $150K I will be doing it. I think it would be fantastic.

Terry

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I try hard to respect this view by many, I tell myself that others can do whatever they want.

What makes it hard to accept is basically the “pretend” factor. So if I can separate the owner from the replica/recreation, I still have problems the car is copying a protected piece of art (Ferrari shares this view too as lawsuits prove) and worse that original Ferraris are murdered for the sake of recreations. So not separating the owner from the replica/recreation, I question the type of person that would be OK with this. Do they just accept car fakes? Are they otherwise a good person, that the fact they like and support fake cars doesn’t mean they are a fake person otherwise in life? I certainly don’t want to stereotype, but I’m sure this holds both true and false.

I don’t care for fake anything’s. No fake watches, no fake boobs, I hate people at work that pretend they’re something they aren’t, church hypocrites. People should be them honest selves and so should the cars IMHO. I would rather vintage race a 330 2+2 for the same money as a murdered PF.

Nothing personal Terry, I know you are a good guy, just telling you my motivation.

7. ferrarinyc

ferrarinyc Karting

Nov 5, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Tony G
    c'mon rob. fake boobs are awesome... in the right hands of course!

8. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    ....and you can get into Cavallino with them!

Jaxk

9. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David

If that 418k doesn't include a 10% buyer's fee, then that would seem to be spot on the mkt, wouldn't it? 460k would seen about right?

10. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    i am 100% fake

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    clever. :)

12. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    you should see the neuticle's i just got, they help me fit the part

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    ha, I had to look that up, but work firewall is blocking all the sites. :D

14. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    I heard from a friend that some of my "memorabilia" sold for high bucks. But I don't know if that's true, or if so, what. Anyone out there want to satisfy my curiosity? Don't recall ever selling anything to Ponder, but I have certainly sold/given away stuff through the years.

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    a few Ferraris and memorabilia here and there. :D

16. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
  17. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    "The Package" arrived safely, Mr. Niles...many thanks!!! ;)

18. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I was curious about all the models and books...it looks like they did well, also.....

Next up.....Keels and Wheels!