RM will auction Ponder Collection in April | Page 2 | FerrariChat

RM will auction Ponder Collection in April

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by enriquelanda5, Feb 1, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    The Ponder car is (obviously) a replica, using some real Bugatti parts. As to the real car, is it VERY VERY dark blue, or black? Hard to tell from some photos. I have never seen it in person.

Also, wasn't there another T57 bodied by Corsica for Col.Gilles that looks remotely similar, but was a 2+2?

2. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    If I remember correctly, it was Bugatti's intention to run this car at the 24 hours of LeMans. The windshield originally had small round holes in both the lower corners. The car was in Harrahs for years, and was dark green. Jacques Hargindiguey (sp?) got the car, restored it, but painted it red and black.

3. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark/USA/UK
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    The real car is a dark blue, but used to be a much brighter blue originally!
    And yes, there is a "sister" car that was originally owned by the same original owner who also had "Le Petit Sezanne"
    The Type 57 car has Chassis #57316, but that car's bodywork was not made by Corsica however, but by "Bertelli"!! Both cars were originally designed by the owners' brother, and they share a lot of styling features, such as the shape of the fenders and the shape of the windscreen to name a few!!!!!

Edit: Yes, the original owner was Col. Giles, who was one of the founder members of the Bugatti Owners Club in the UK!!!

4. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Thanks! When you say brighter blue, I assume you mean something close to the color of the T57 "tanks"

5. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark/USA/UK
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    Exactly......not exactly the same color as the Tanks, but yes!!! :)

6. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Absolutely, via the link posted there looks to be a 2900A ... one of the all time great cars.

Pete

7. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    It's actually an Alfa 6c2300B Mille Miglia or Pescara (2 carbs instead of one), S/N 813219, motor number 826203, with Touring coachwork.

8. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    My mistake :) ... and a fairly big one, probably a whole 'figure' value difference.

Pete

9. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller

The car is a 6c2300B MM, of which, according to Fusi, only 106 were made (1936-1938). I don't think there was actually that many, and some of the chassis never got numbered, and were later used for 6c2500s. I think there were really only about 40 6c230B MMs!

The "regular" 6c2300 is earlier, and has a solid rear axle (1933-1935), and worth less. The "B" has a swing axle.

The Pescara is the 2 carb version of the 6c2300. The Mille Miglia is the two carb version of the "B".

Somewhere between 10 and 20 6c230B MM still exist; most are coupes.

This car is worth about $300,000-$400,000 "retail" IF it is a real car (I think it is). I have never inspected it, so I can not say with any certainty.

An 8c2900A is worth at least 4 million! 8c2900As or Bs with major race history are 8 to 10 million. The ex-Bill Serri 8c2900B that Ralph Lauren now has, and was shown at Pebble Beach, was purchased for 10 million from Serri's widow (at least that is what I heard; of course I don't know what was actually paid), then Lauren put a million or more into the restoration!

The 8c2900B Le Mans coupe is probably worth the same money, but will never go up for sale, as it is in the Alfa museum.

My "uncle" (actually a cousin, but we called him uncle), Johnny Lurani, actually owned the LeMans coupe in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Too bad he sold it instead of willing it to me :(

Anyway, here is a link to photos of the Ponder car, which is mistakenly listed as a Bugatti. The body might actually be off an 8c2900A, and not the original coachwork!

http://www.rmauctions.com/FeatureCars.cfm?SaleCode=GP07&CarID=r150

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Geez, seems like all his fine cars are replicas? All of these really worth $100 mil?

I might have chance to view the cars, can you tell me which ones are special and worth a closer look?

11. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark/USA/UK
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    The Bugatti Type 101 for one should be worth a closer look ;)
    I will look forward to see a more detailed description of the cars on RM's site!

I am not an expert on other marques/brands, so perhaps a good advice would be to bring an expert for inspection of the cars, before investing all your funds/savings!!! :)

Best regards

Carsten

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I ain't buying anything, just want to know what I should appreciate. I don't appreciate a 250 tr and 212 replica, although I've heard the tr is one of the nicest in existence. Poor pf.

13. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark/USA/UK
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    I agree, the TR actually looks nice, but would be much more appreciated if originally it had not been slaughtered and rebuilt into a replica!!! The 212 on the other hand is a very poor replica......what a shame!!!

14. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Well, at least we know the 101 is real. I'm not sure about a lot of the cars...

15. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    My God, that is like my dream garage... :)

So to confirm what had been mentioned early on in this thread, are all of the automobilia items being auctioned off? I see a few neat items which I would really love to have (and I would go to the point of registering as an absentee bidder).

16. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark/USA/UK
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    @Rob, :)

Thanks a lot for sharing the pics!!
    Did you by any chance take a photo that shows the wheels of the two tone Bugatti Type 57G/57S Tank??? Also the interior and engine compartment would be nice to see!!
    If correctly built, the car should have the rare "piano wire wheels" of the Type 59 Grand Prix car!
    I'm affraid that car also looks to be a replica(perhaps based on some Bugatti parts).... All of the original 57G cars had twin filler caps, and there is a lot of other small details that differs from the originals, judged only from your pics!
    The red Type 55 is presumably built by Pur Sang in Argentina, although I am not 100% sure about that! The dashboard in that car should be of grain wood rather than the circular polished aluminium or steel used!!

Anyway, it's a very nice collection, and certainly there is a lot of interesting memorabilia that I personally would like to have a closer look at!

Best regards

Carsten

17. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller

It might just be the angle of the photo, but shouldn't the Bugatti tank replicar be somewhat larger than the T55 replicar in front of it?

18. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark/USA/UK
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    I think it could be the angle of the photo! :)

The "Tank" is not "much" bigger than the T55 in real! Both cars have a relatively short chassis! The T55 has a wheelbase of 2.75 metres and a track of 1,25 metres, whereas the Type 57G which is actually a Type 57S chassis has a wheelbase of 2.98 metres and a track of 1,35 metres, so I don't know if you would notice on a photo in that angle??!! :)

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    This is about all the photos I have. Everything should be on RM site mid-March or maybe that’s when the catalog is available.

My impression of the Ponder collection is he’s very passionate about the cars and history, but in restoring the cars he will choose personal preferences over originality. One very respectful quality is he wants EVERYTHING in working order. Even little collectible bikes need the battery operated radio working.

20. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark/USA/UK
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    I have great respect for Mr. Ponder and his qualities and passion!
    I just pointed out that not all of his cars were original, and that one should be aware of that before placing a bid at auction!
    Even some of his Bugatti replicars can be very fine automobiles indeed and
    I still find his collection outstanding and unique, no doubt about that at all!

21. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller

There are a couple of real cars he owned that I would love to have...the Bugatti 101; the Alfa 6c2300B MM....

22. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark/USA/UK
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    Just about the same goes for me.... :) Plus some of the memorabila!!!