RM Auction on Speed | FerrariChat

RM Auction on Speed

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by davidgoerndt, May 29, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    Yesterday, Monday (Memorial Day), Speed channel ran several hours of the 2006 Monterey RM auction. Ferraris of interest 500 TRC, 340 America, Daytona Coupe, 246 Dino(1970) and the 412S. Interesting to compare the BJ auction to this one. Like comparing wrestling to the ballet, ones classy the other not!

2. V12TR

V12TR Rookie

Mar 11, 2007
    Full Name:
    V12TR
    Which one Classy

3. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    not BJ.

4. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    Well, not BJ, that's for sure!

5. FredParoutaud

FredParoutaud Formula 3

Jun 9, 2004
  6. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I like the RM Auctions with the volume turned all the way down. One of the commentators comes across as knowing absolutely nothing and sounds like he is reading from a script; kinda cheapens the whole experience.

Anybody agree with me? Anybody know what I'm talking about?

7. FredParoutaud

FredParoutaud Formula 3

Jun 9, 2004
    Oh man, that's totally true! Frankly, they wouldn't know what one of these cars were if it hit him in the nose. ;^D

But then, that's hollywood.

Cheers,

Fred

(PS: Obviously some of these guys would...but not that particular guy)

8. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    I know what you mean, the main announcer is fairly clueless as he was calling muscle cars muscle-bound cars? Ken Gross and Alain Decadenet are very knowledgeable. The 64 GTO replica had a 62-63 style body, yet it was labeled a 64?

9. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    Another little "mistake" was the Aston Martin DB-2/3 was the James Bond car from "Goldfinger", yikes! He was off by a bit.

10. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yup. The guy that we know we are speaking of sounds like he is yelling instead of announcing.

You'd figure that RM would wake up on this. I do believe that B. Jackson is more of a cattle call, but I can deal with it because their guys know what they are talking about.

I'll bet us F chatters could do a hell of a better job!!

Thanks for chiming in guys,
    Steve

11. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    The main announcer seemed to know nothing about cars (probably a trypical ESPN jock re-tread) and sounded like he had a mouth full of red hot ball bearings.....all unintelligible shouting.

Jack

12. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I wouldn't trust RM very much either, especially after what happened with the Ponder 246 Dino - check out the 206/246 sub-forum.

Mark

13. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    I think with any car at auction you have to check the provenance of the car out yourself. Ask questions, research the model, check the history.

The Dino at the Ponder sale looked iffy to me, I don't know who bought it and whether they "just bid" or whether they asked the right questions. I for one have never seen another Dino with Wire wheels, so that would have made me ask quite a few questions.

I'd say its foolish to buy anything at any auction based on purely the write up in the catalog.

For me all auctions are a show, I was at the RM auction in italy and it had a lot in common with the BJ auctions I've seen on the TV. Comments like "lots of people here haven't bought a car yet". Of course its their job to create momentum to get a good result from the sale.

I'd say the thing that they got right for the sale was a generally good selection of cars all given the OK by Ferrari. Someone overpaid for the Daytona spider in particular, but I've got to guess they'd asked the questions on the car.

RM were certainly very helpful indeed with all the questions I asked about the cars I was interested in. They co-ordinated phone conversations to validate history and I was able to talk to people from Ferrari as well.