RIP Bobafett/Dan | Page 2 | FerrariChat

RIP Bobafett/Dan

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by sherpa23, Dec 7, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    And then again, maybe your entire post is something that didn't need to be said, including the troll bait? WTF is your problem?

Why are you trying to disrespect someone who has passed? (I said that nicely, BTW)

2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

yeah I agree. w/ dave, not needed. thanks and go away. sad when we lose some of the original cast and crew from this site:(

3. Kaisake

Kaisake Rookie

Nov 9, 2003
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Thanks for sharing, sherpa23 and everyone else.

Found this thread at the beginning of this year, but was so dismayed I couldn't post anything.

My heart still grows heavy reading this, but thought it'd be appropriate to post now. Apologize in advance for bumping an old thread and stirring up memories/feelings.

Originally, I wanted to ask Dan about his 550 or 360 CS, if he wanted to go cycling out to Buck's sometime, and thank his father for advice he gave me over a decade ago and possibly mentoring... only to find out they both passed away.

Met Dan through Amir in 2003/4, when I identified Dan's backyard (while Amir was visiting) from a picture posted to e46fanatics. Seemed oddly familiar, so I looked through my kitchen window and indeed it was the same house (small world). PM'd Amir and went over. At that time, Dan and Amir were talking about startups, investing strategies, and starting a hedge fund/or had already started (minimum buy of 50k). I'll admit I had no idea what they were talking about at the time—paradoxical I'd end up in a similar line of work.

I remember Dan hauling ass (90+ on 280) to the Dutch Goose in Menlo Park near his alma mater to get his favorite deviled eggs. His ride? A museum grade Toyota '83(if I remember correctly) Corolla. Apparently, the Corolla was his father's—a reminder of his humble immigrant beginnings before his success. Not sure why Dan hated that car with a passion, but he always drove it like he wanted to destroy it. To the testament of Toyota, it held up quite well.

In addition, Dan's father was very astute and wise. He always graciously imparted advice including, I'd be successful one day—he'd be right but there's so much more to learn. At the time, our contrasting lifestyles facilitated separation: me being low profile and Dan not so much. We saw less and less of each other and drifted out of contact.

Will miss his antics and energetic spirit. Come to think of it, Dan only wore collared or polo shirts. I've never actually seen him in anything else—god forbid a T-shirt. He'd probably laugh haughtily at my assessment with his slight British accent. I'm sure he is laughing up there now.

Too young.

RIP Dan and Mr.K, condolences to his sister/daughter and mother/wife.

Thank you for being great friends.

-Ben

Texas Forever, paulchua and ryalex like this.
  4. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Just saw this. AWWWWWW...
    We traded Ferraris for a day one time. Super guy.

5. StradaleVic

StradaleVic Rookie

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Vikor Wu
    AW.....I haven't been talking since 06, just saw this and RIP Dan. Surprise that lots of people left!!

6. dolphin_vic

dolphin_vic Karting

Nov 3, 2005
    San Bruno& Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Victor
    rip dan just saw this and i remembered i was trying to purchase his 360cs and he car ended up went to florida.

7. cal355

cal355 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Cal
    WOW! that is sad news. I have been off FChat for a couple of years myself. I met Dan in Monterey several years ago. At that time I had a F355 Spider and he had his 550 Maranello. We met for drinks in downtown Monterey after the Concourso and had a blast. RIP Dan.....