Rides for kids with cancer | FerrariChat

Rides for kids with cancer

Discussion in 'North Central - USA (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV)' started by fr8dog11, Jul 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fr8dog11

fr8dog11 Rookie

Jul 2, 2008
    louisville
    Full Name:
    jon dubins
    I am looking for people that can help out with a great cause & that is to give rides to kids with cancer.

I have some updated info on the car rides for these kids with cancer at camp this year. The camp (Camp Quality Kentucky) would like us to bring as many cool cars as we can on Tuesday July 29th. This will be a rain or shine event (unless pouring rain). The camp is at Camp Loucon in Leitchfield, KY (directions below).

They would like to have us arrive between 4pm-5pm and start rides after diner at about 5:30pm- they are very flexible as to our schedule and they have invited us to eat diner with the kids- which I highly recommend. You will see...these kids will touch your life in a very special way!

...I can tell you, this will make these very special kids a night to remember but I promise you, it will be a night that you will remember!

Please contact me at: [email protected] if you would like more info &/or can help out with this event.

Thanks,
    Jon

Directions to Camp Loucon:

From Louisville

77 miles to Loucon from the intersection of 1-264 and 1-65 South.

Take I-65 south from Louisville forty miles to Elizabethtown Turn Right (traveling west) at exit 91 on the Wendell Ford WK Parkway follow Leitchfield/Paducah signs. Drive 30 miles on WK to exit 107 for Leitchfield/Brownsville- Highway 259. Turn away from town (away from McDonalds) going south on 259 about 6 miles to intersection where Hwy 259 turns right at (at "Smitty City" Mystik Gas Store). 1 mile to Loucon look for framed stone signs on the left side of the road. Turn there and follow road back to campus. Once on campus keep a sharp lookout for signs directing you to your camp/retreat area.

2. OneFastLotus

OneFastLotus Rookie

Jun 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    I'd be willing to bring an Exige and Elise

3. OneFastLotus

OneFastLotus Rookie

Jun 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    .....the tuesday part, I just noticed. Might be a problem.

4. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Great cause - great event

5. Freelander

Freelander Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2007
    Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Travis R.
    How "cool" of cars are we talking here? I could easily bring my Grandparent's Cadillac CTS if that would be welcome. It's not by any means a Ferrari but it's definitely a nice car.

6. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #6 silvergts1998, Jul 7, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
    I think my buddy Jon is looking for exotics only. Italian in nature is what he needs. Never knew a Elise was considered an exotic. Is it in that category?

7. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    I'm going to try to make this. Should know very soon. We've been trying to do something for kids up in Indy but the administrators and lawyers are all in the way. Thanks for posting this!

8. ZUL8TR

ZUL8TR Formula 3

Feb 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    According to the dictionary:

Main Entry: 1ex·ot·ic
    Pronunciation: \ig-ˈzä-tik\
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: Latin exoticus, from Greek exōtikos, from exō
    Date: 1599
    1: introduced from another country : not native to the place where found <exotic plants>
    2 archaic : foreign, alien
    3: strikingly, excitingly, or mysteriously different or unusual <exotic flavors>

So looks like in the US, a Lotus is considered Exotic, where something like a Dodge, Chevy or Ford is not.

Uh oh...I guess a Datsun B210 would qualify. LOL! ;)

9. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    LOL!!

Well add on my old honda civic...

Sorry...back on topic...hope we can have a good showing for Jon's camp. It would really mean a lot to him and the kids. The Viper Club of America is trying to help out also. Good bunch of people in that group!

10. OneFastLotus

OneFastLotus Rookie

Jun 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    #10 OneFastLotus, Jul 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Might as well clear the air here. Because some of us know what is going on, and some dont.

Unfortunately Adam doesn't like us ( some internet bs from years ago where he got banned from a board we ran over some rather rude IMHO comments from him and myself right back at him) and therefore says our Lotuses apparently are non exotics comparable to an old honda.

After having a premature baby last year. 2lbs 9oz baby boy. We have really been active in childrens events. He spent almost 3 months in the Neonatal ICU, and nearly died several times of Staph infections. He's in fine shape now.

We have two Lotus Elises, and a 2007 Lotus Exige. Kids light up when they see them, and I believe we have one of only two Exiges in the entire state. They only made 300 of them total for the entire US. However according to Adam, his Honda is an exotic too, I guess saying we're not welcome. And because we dont' have eight cylinders, we don't make the cut.

I thought it would be apparent that 1700lb handbuilt cars dont need eight cylinders to be exotic. I really think the kids would enjoy the car. I'm sorry for this pettiness going on.

I know Adam is your friend and you dont know me from adam, so I'm sure Adam has the upperhand here and he's prone to telling some pretty nasty things about us. Me specifically. I'm very sorry, not sure what to do.

Grundy and Hagerty both classify the Elise and Exige as Exotic, FWIW. I wish we could help. I was going to call my parents friend Kevin Cogan too, but, again, it looks like our help isnt wanted so I'm unsure what to say.

Cheers
    Jennifer

Our non exotics,
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. OneFastLotus

OneFastLotus Rookie

Jun 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
  12. Your cars are exotics, any Lotus is a exotic. I'm sure Adam is just kidding around, he doesn't own a Honda. Bring your car(s).

13. ZUL8TR

ZUL8TR Formula 3

Feb 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    #13 ZUL8TR, Jul 7, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
    Please do NOT construe my comments as implying that a Lotus is not an exotic. You may recognize my screen name from the MWSCC site. If you know me, you know I harbor no feelings like that at all. When the question was raised, I merely wanted to point out that Vettes, Vipers, Mustangs, et al are not, by basic definition, considered exotic, despite what the owners of said vehicles may think. Are some of them special? Sure, but exotic? Sorry.

I drive with Jason out of Indy and his British Racing Green Exige. when we hit the twisites, he doesn't need the extra 4-6 cylinders to put a world of hurt on the American Muscle or the Italians. Just yesterday, I was running my 25 year old inline 6 turning 205/60/15's against Vettes in the twisties and sticking with them. Yes, they can take me on the 1/4 mile or a freeway straight, but get me in the twisites and I hold on very well. There are times when all the HP is not able to be used. Its time like that you will be happier than a pig in you know what while driving a Lotus...a real sports car!

FYI...I was on the drive when KGlotus totaled his car. I was very sad.

14. OneFastLotus

OneFastLotus Rookie

Jun 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    No worries, wasn't directed at you.

Dont wanna corrupt this thread, so no worries. Back to the kiddies!

15. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Jennifer or George whoever is posting, sad to hear about your kid and glad things worked out for the kid.

As far as the rest of the comments and explanation of "our past" is a bit off. You owned a little site that involved ricers and some actual car guys on there. If someone had a better car than you, you could not stand it nor could George. You wonder why your site is a flop and why you have such a reputations with many in Louisville because it's all about you. You come on here acting like a victim when the truth is you preyed and banned many people off your site for disagreeing with you two. It's obvious with screen names as "optimus prime" you think you are it. I never had a problem with you or George but you two decided to be buttholes so now you get a little back and you whine. You may enjoy having people half your age think you are cool, but heck I too could show up at a highschool and hang out there and kids would think I'm cool. ( or maybe not)...So stop acting like you're a victim. You know; people who are into cars don't have to race around parking lot cones to be car enthusists. People don't need to live their life a 1/4 at a time. Whether you have an exotic, go cart or whatever...who cares...this is what I am talking about..you get sore when someone dishes it back to you...but the difference is now you don't control this site. Why you have to drop names like Kevin Cogan?... to feel like you are connected? I could drop names too, but don't since I have respect for other's privacy and no need to use the names to make myself sound important. For the most part everyone on here are friendly and car enthusists. So this is not a who has more of the upper hand like your site was about...If I ever see you at an event don't count on me being rude to you..no intentions of that at all...If I am there, I am there for the event. You're an adult right? So don't talk your crap and maybe people will be decent to you. Maybe even me. :)

I wished I owned a Honda with gas prices the way they are now. Just won't see me putting blue led lights on the hood and a fart can on the back.

Relax Jennifer and george...It's the internet. If your cars bring smiles to the kids then you should come to the event. My buddy Jon really needs the help and the kids would love the cars.

16. OneFastLotus

OneFastLotus Rookie

Jun 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    You just basically showed everyone what I meant about you.

Please. Back to the topic.

17. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    LOL!.

You haven't changed a bit have you?

Yes back on topic and not on I want to prove my car is an exotic.

18. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    interesting - as would a number of other "alien" candidates.

hmmm - possible vanity plate there from the Greek etymology - e(xotiko)s - "xotico" I'm liking it.

Lotus - exotic - kids - works - do it!

19. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #19 silvergts1998, Jul 9, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
    Kind of funny this same discussion is going on lpower too of what is considered an exotic. I say enjoy the cars you own whether it's a fiberglass go cart with a small engine or a big V-12 engine. Looks like the kid in the picture above is enjoying his fiberglass go cart.

20. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Are you being serious?

21. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #21 silvergts1998, Jul 9, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
    Serious about Jon wanting Italian cars? --yes. That is what he told me.

About the little lotus being exotics, I think jenn or george whichever one is posting made it clear that their insurance company called them exotics so it must be an exotic if the insurance company says so. Who am I to argue with them about it. I think I will check with my insurance company to make sure both my cars are legit. I am sure those cars are zippy little cars and would hand a Ferrari or Lamborghini their lunch any day.

22. ZUL8TR

ZUL8TR Formula 3

Feb 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Nothing like turning an event to benefit children with cancer into elitest BS!

Something makes me think the children are more mature.

23. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY

Being a Lotus owner I think the debate about one car vs. another and if they are exotics or not is interesting. The line has to be drawn some where though. If an Elise is exotic, what about a Saturn Skye. They look good and they are limited edition as far as I can tell. The line has to be some where, right? I like the Elise, I think they would be fun to drive/own, but nothing seems very exotic about a Toyota 4-cylinder engine to me. Some things have to be sacred!!

(This post was not intended to offend anyone, the opinions of its' author do not reflect the views of Ferrari Chat, its' owners, members, visitors, lurkers, or the Kentucky region in general. The post is for entertainment purposes only and should not be viewed as fact.)

Matt

24. FastLotus

FastLotus Rookie
    BANNED

Jul 9, 2008
    That guy Adam and his buddy Doug are angry at life and are self-important. We think they have a "special" relationship with each other. Avoid them when ever you can.

25. cessnav8or

cessnav8or Formula 3

May 28, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Nice first post. I know Adam and Doug both are very nice Guys and will bend over backwards to help a person out. "Self important" I don't think so. If this is all the drivel you can come up with then I would advise you to STFU.