Retrofitting aircon to a 246 | FerrariChat

Retrofitting aircon to a 246

Discussion in '206/246' started by Bluebottle, Aug 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    I would dearly love to have aircon in my Dino. The need was particularly obvious when driving to Maranello last year with the temperature in the 30s (I was like the proverbial damp rag most of the time and I lost half a stone by the time I got back to the UK, despite indulging in the best of French and Italian food and wine along the way!).

For some reason as yet unknown, my car (06934) has a console with space for aircon controls (see below), but it was certainly not fitted when new and there is no sign in the (comprehensive) history that it ever has been.

Does anyone (preferably in the UK) have any experience of retrofitting aircon to a Dino, or know anyone who has?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    The revised centre console with the raised front section was a standard fitment on all later model E series John, regardless of whether air con was fitted or not.

celestialcoop likes this.
  3. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    A few big hurdles;
    - the Gas tank needs a cutout,
    - the radiator needs four "L" brackets and one back side tube clamp to mount the condensor
    - you'll need a crankshaft pulley for two AC belts.
    - Compressor mounting brackets

I may have all other parts soon, working on buying all the tools for a full Dino AC system setup
    - improving the evaporator which is limiting the Superheat values across it
    - 100mm diverter airflow to send A/C air to kick panel vents not just teh dash center vent

Scott

4. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks for that, Iain. You have resolved a mystery for me.

Maybe I shall just have to remain hot!

5. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California

Contact Tony Hart of Classic Retrofit https://www.classicretrofit.com/collections/electric-air-conditioning

He has been successful in installing electric a/c into air-cooled Porsche’s. I met him in Germany a few months ago when he was at Ruf Automobile. I asked him about the Dino. He felt it would be straight forward to install. He would need a car to look at and explore options. Might be ideal since you’re both in the UK. He’s in East Sussex. He is also working on an electric heating system.

synchro likes this.
  6. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Thankyou, Freeman. I shall contact him and report back.

7. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Tony Hart is a great guy and is pretty knowledgeable/clever/passionate with this. It will give you efficient cold a/c w/o the archaic plumbing and installation of a traditional system. For the most part, it’s hidden and easy to service and repair.

synchro likes this.
  8. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Superformance have the standard non air con fuel tanks made, I would think its possible to have a one off made for the air con if necessary

synchro likes this.
  9. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Looks like a traditional system updated with an electrically operated compressor - did I miss anything?

I looked at the link
    https://www.classicretrofit.com/collections/electric-air-conditioning/products/air-conditioning-kit-for-classic-911-full-kit
    and see he has not removed any of the parts of a traditional system that the original required to produce cold air.

While "smaller is better" has a certain appeal, the properties of refrigerants require a minimum line length to settle gases and vapors for proper cooling. The condensor and evaporator are not just heat exchangers but at these locations the refrigerant changes state between Gas & Liquid and lines flowing out act to settle them.

Scott

10. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I think Singer is using his unit in their cars and Ruf is using it in their new car. I saw one installed in a special early 911 ST hot rod. Nice to see it hidden and beautifully packaged. I’ve never tried it but Tony Hart seemed to know his business and lots installations in early 911’s. I would consider it for my Dino if it’s easily reversible and non-evasive.

11. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Agreed, he has some impressive products. Look st the parallel core evaporator and blower he has
    https://www.classicretrofit.com/collections/electric-air-conditioning/products/high-power-blower-for-911-a-c

Unfortunately there are exterior no dimensions, no CFM rating on the fan and no BTU rating on the evaporator so I've emailed for more data.
    It would be wonderful if the whole unit fit inside the Dino Passenger's footwell

12. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I think part of it could fit in the right rear of the rear boot and some of the hardware maybe in the passenger footwell. Maybe a complete unit that replaces the spare tire and bolts into the threaded spare tire bolt hole?

13. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott