Retrofit carbon fiber LED steering wheel? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Retrofit carbon fiber LED steering wheel?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by blabus, Jul 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

It is about the proxy, not if it was species with the LED although one goes often hand in hand.
    If u go in ur set up menu there is an option to turn off or on the LED, if u have it then it will be plug and play. Chances are u don’t but I had it so it was plug and play for me and mine didn’t have the wheel...
    U might be lucky!
    That said even at 3500 for a wheel + 2500 install you are still saving some money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. death1ord

death1ord Rookie

Feb 25, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ray F.
    Hey,

I just swapped a CF steering wheel on my 458. Its a relatively easy process and it was done within an hour!!
    You DON'T need any sort of proxy file for the LEDs to work. They work on the swap by default. The proxy file is only needed if you need to turn off the LEDs from the system menu. Frankly I don't know anyone who would turn it off! The proxy file is an absolute waste of money!!

Danbossi and Ash Patel like this.
  3. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Interesting...
    So I guess they work by default, and you only need to get into the menu system to shut them? If so, that's awesome! Like you said, no need to ever shut them off.
    Simple plug and play. I learn new things every day!

4. blabus

blabus Rookie

Nov 28, 2018
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    This is great, thanks for the info!

5. Natkingcolebasket69

That’s incorrect though. If u do have the LED in your menu: will work; if not you will need it.
    Several users have reported just that On F12.
    U was lucky as mine had it configured but I guarantee this is not the case for everyone.
    Just do a search and you will see plenty of users who did a swap thinking it was plug and play and ended up having to to the dealer. I can think of at least 3 on this forum by using search button. You and I just got lucky.

6. Natkingcolebasket69

If u don’t have them already in your menu it will not work.
    It depends on your proxy, think of it as a windows version. If it came with pack office u have excel, if not you have to download it.

7. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    mid be careful about doing the work yourself. The airbag is an issue of your safety. What if it goes off in your face while you are doing the work. Obviously if you are experienced in these matters then never mind.

I agree with you that the carbon fiber steering wheel in the 458 is a great upgrade. It adds a racing feel which suits this model and enhances the driving pleasure.

8. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Well I guess the other poster was only 1/2 correct. I continue to learn new things every day, LOL
    Good thing my car has the LED wheel, so I don't have to worry either way.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  9. death1ord

death1ord Rookie

Feb 25, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ray F.
    Okay, I am unsure of what others are saying about it. I for sure know that I did not download any proxy files and as per my research, the LED was pretty much plug and play for everyone else as well. Just so you guys know I am not bluffing ....
    Also I don't have the LED option anywhere in my menu ...

Removing the original wheel
    https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPisAZznd3_Rx7UFyDVjo4_XtkQnPVKV7LR6AQ3

Carbon Fiber Wheel after swap
    https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMw1GRo7cx0vSlqac5CYwDYHGGb5Kxbo7hXuy0N

May be they started shutting down LEDs after the 458s. Worth a try I guess.

10. Natkingcolebasket69

It really is about the BUS system if I recall which host the LED function per car. Either your version of the BUS supports it and it works plug and play like yours (although dealer will tell u it won’t) OR your version of BUS isn’t supporting LED and needs to be flashed.
    Totally believe you that yours worked without proxy for sure;)

Danbossi and death1ord like this.
  11. death1ord

death1ord Rookie

Feb 25, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ray F.
    One thing I can say for sure, every connection is plug and play ... all the wire connections are the same and the steering wheel even has a mark to align it with the mark on the steering rack. That way you know its centered. It took like an hour to swap the wheel. Removing and plugging the airbags was the hardest part just because of the way the airbag locking mechanism is designed ... but it's more of like fondling around to get it unlock and locked. And yes I used the airbag from my original wheel. No problems at all.

12. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    I know this thread is more for the 458 swap, but I finally took the chance and got a used LED wheel from eurospares for my FF, plug and play and it worked straight away! Swapped it myself.
    Since I could return it to eurospares I figured it was worth a shot and worst case scenario I would just lose the shipping cost.
    I am thoroughly delighted I didn't need to get it programmed! :)

For reference my FF is a 2012, and to add to the interesting bits the steering wheel is actually from an F12!
    The 458/F12/FF steering wheels are all interchangeable, they have the same steering column hole diameter. The FF does have a different manettino sticker but it's easily replaced.
    The 488 however is not compatible, while the front side of the wheel is identical, the steering column hole is larger so it does not fit earlier cars.

Steering wheel color to be ignored, I'm having the leather re-wrapped to match.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

MANDALAY and LVP488 like this.
  13. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

I truly hope you like the rewrap. I have never seen a rewrap done right. The folk at Ferrari are trained and have done these wheels 1000's of times.

14. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    I did that research before buying the wheel because that was my other main concern on getting it rewrapped, and not just the finish but also matching the color. In my area there are several independent people who are only dedicated to rewrapping steering wheels and have been doing so for decades. I visited their shops and saw examples of their work, they actually mainly do exotics like Porsche and Ferrari, I was very satisfied. In the end you never know but I'm confident it will be done to factory spec.

Actually the one thing they told me is they can not replicate the horn logos. Those are done on specialized machines that only Ferrari has, however that's a detail I didn't care about.

MANDALAY likes this.