Resveratrol | FerrariChat

Resveratrol

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Smiles, Dec 29, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I recently saw a very interesting presentation by Dr. Joseph Maroon. He's been the team neurosurgeon for the Pittsburgh Steelers, and now focuses on factors that contribute to longevity.

His book is here:
    http://www.amazon.com/Longevity-Factor-Resveratrol-Activate-Healthier/dp/B004KABG5O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325188423&sr=8-1

The one big key to living longer is exercise. Then, of course, diet.

In this book he does a deeper dive into the so-called French paradox: why do the French have such fewer cases of heart disease percapita when they smoke and eat fatty foods? The answer, of course, is in red wine and, as it turns out, dark chocolate.

Resveratrol has been found to be key ingredient and people are taking it as supplements. There's a problem: resveratrol doesn't have a long shelf life, especially when exposed to light and air.

Does anyone here take resveratrol supplements? Can anyone recommend a good source?

2. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    www.Longevenix.com

I've been on it for a couple of years now. I'm a believer. Of course eating right and exercise are a huge factor as well.

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
  4. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Some interesting and promising results...in mice.

We'll see.

CW

5. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Read further, my friend.

6. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Anecdotal.

To the best of my knowledge, there have been no human trials, and the FDA has received no application or opined on the efficacy of Resveratrol for humans and the claims made. Although, my information could certainly be dated.

CW

7. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    FDA ain't the messiah, either.

8. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Generally, the FDA seeks to verify the claims made by the seller and to ensure that the drugs are not harmful. In order to do this, they require testing and trials by the applicant. While not perfect, this system produces, on average, reliable results. That's not to say it's the be-all, end-all, but it clearly seeks to substantiate the product's attributes and manufacturer's marketing hype.

CW

9. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    The FDA has chosen to completely (and irresponsibly and negligently, in my opinion) chosen not to verified claims (or quality) by sellers of a huge array of supplements.

10. Xcheckme

Xcheckme Formula 3

May 10, 2011
    Tampa Bay
    Full Name:
    Lukas
    Actually the FDA hasn't chosen not to do this, we have the honorable Orrin Hatch / Utah senator to thank for this.

11. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Tried it for almost a year. did nothing for me.

12. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
  13. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I watch with interest.

We'll see...

CW

14. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    After a year, you concluded it didn't lengthen your lifespan?

;)

15. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ
    I've been taking muscadine grape seed capsules for years. I get them from a winery called the Duplin Winery. It's pure and straight grape seeds. Will see how it effects me years down the line. I also take fish oils.
    www.duplinwinery.com

Now just have to work on my diet.....

16. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Thanks for the source!

I also take fish oil, and Co-Q-10.

I could certainly eat better, but at least I'm exercising!

17. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I am still alive, Maybe it did work???

18. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Not for long... your time is up! :eek:

Sorry about that, hope it was a good run. :eek:

:D

All the best,
    Andrew.

19. platinumsc

platinumsc Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2004
    I always look for a natural remedy whenever possible. I chose a wine extract supplement with resveratrol as opposed to a cholesterol medicine my doctor wanted to prescribe. It's been about 3 years and my cholesterol has improved every year. I still eat burgers, steak and bbq and roasted chicken. I did stop eating fried chicken and pork so that may have contributed. I eat breads, rice, potatoes, buttered bagels and McDonalds breakfast so I tend to believe the supplement is helping a lot.

20. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ
    There may have not been trials specifically on Resveratrol, but there have been on Muscadine Grape seeds which have high amounts of resveratrol.

21. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Actually, eating foods with cholesterol does not raise your cholesterol level,
    eating too many carbs does that. Feel free to google "carbs raise cholesterol" and
    read for yourself.

In any event, cholesterol levels are rarely an issue.

Wes

22. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
  23. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
  24. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
  25. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Your hero looks like quite the loser actually....

http://www.health-report.co.uk/quack_busters_scam_revealed.htm

And I quote:

The quackbusters, I've found, aren't individually, or in groups, that bright. Read delicensed MD Stephen Barrett's website "quackwatch.com," and his resume, and you'll see what I mean - and he's their chief propagandist. Everything he says is like he was simply filling out a form, someone with a higher intelligence, had given him. His mouthings are boringly the same, each and every time.

Keep in mind that Barrett, although claiming to be a retired Psychiatrist, was never able to become "Board Certified." He failed his test. Also, Barrett gave up his MD license in 1993. I suspect he just couldn't keep up with new things. His employment record shows he NEVER was able to hold a full-time job - and his claim to "Psychiatric fame" was his part-time (4 to 8 hours a week) employment at a Pennsylvania Mental Hospital - from 1978 through 1993. From 1976 through 1978 he COULD NOT GET a paying job.

Barrett, with his lack of basic intelligence, is getting hammered when he shows up in a courtroom situation - and tries to inflict his weird opinions on a Judge. And Barrett has legal problems all over the country. Basically, I see Barrett as a loser, who couldn't make it in the medical profession. And, Barrett is TYPICAL quackbuster leadership.

END QUOTE

Try again loser!