Restuffing Dino Sunvisors? | FerrariChat

Restuffing Dino Sunvisors?

Discussion in '206/246' started by CarreraScott, May 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CarreraScott

CarreraScott Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    My 72 Dino 246's sunvisors are in great shape on the outisde but the foam inside is disintegrating and I get a shower of tiny foam pieces whenever I hit a bump. Has anyone put new foam in their visors? Whats the best kind to use? Whats the best way to do it? Since the outside is in such good shape it would seem cutting them open at the seams, restuffing, and having them resewed would be the best bet...

Thanks
    Scott

2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Hey.

Funny you should mention this. You'll also get a shower from your headliner. Apparently Ferrari glued in some crap between the headliner and roof that was originally foam, that turns into Pixie dust. Especially over bumps. THe headliner can be loosened on each end, and the foam pulled out, in bits, with a shop vac and then replaced.

I have not taken the visors apart yet, but I did replace the foam above the headliner, and I'm sure what I used will work for the visors, too.

I used some high temp 3/8" thick foam. It's a black foam that is good to at least 300 degrees. We use it at work on the foil stamping presses, to insulate between the heated plate and the material running through the press.

Want some? I have a giant roll that I can hack you off a hunk of and send along to you. I can check what it costs us tomorrow if you're interested. Drop me a PM.

3. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
    Most good interior shops can "rebuild" visors. I have had this done to several cars over the years. They generally recover with like material or slice them open restuff and glue shut. More than likely the kind of stuff Matt @ Re-originals in Houston would stock.

4. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I have a NOS set of visors in very good condition and a set that has "gone flat". The vinyl is heat seamed together. I was hoping to slit open the back seam, restuff with a better foam and re-heat seal the vinyl though maybe fine stitching would be a better/easier way to go as you would probably only spot it if the visor was down and even then only because you knew it had been stitched.