Resting between strength training days, what's the real story? | FerrariChat

Resting between strength training days, what's the real story?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Aaya, Sep 25, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aaya

Aaya F1 Veteran

Jul 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    Wu Tsai
    It seems to be common knowledge in the gym that someone strength training should not work the same muscles in consecutive days. Instead he should give his muscles 1-2 days of rest before working out again, that way his body recovers. I've heard the basic biological rundown that I'm tearing muscles and they need time to heal. How true is this though?

I did chest yesterday and I don't feel sore at all, does that mean my body is healed enough to lift that muscle again? Or will there simply be diminishing returns? For instance the second day of back to back chest exercises would only yield X% of the previous days benefit.

Don't marines exercise everyday with push ups and pull ups? Or are light strength training and cardiovascular exercises something that can be done every day, while heavy lifting can't?

Experienced weight lifters set me straight.

2. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #2 TexasF355F1, Sep 25, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
    Just because you do not feel sore does not mean anything. Just because you don't feel sore, is not an indication that your muscles aren't torn and repairing. I sometimes get very very sore, and other times not.

You should still give your muscles at least 2 rest days. In my experience, and from what I've read up on, if you are looking to gain size as well as strength you are better off working one to two muscle groups one day per week. I've noticed a lot more improvement switching to doing this.

Now if you wanted to work chest Monday and Friday, that would be cool imo. Just another reason I like to do 1 or 2 groups a day is because I'm able to do an entire routine within 45 minutes.

My routines is typically Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday. Off days, Wednesday, Saturday, Sunday.

As for marines. I think the purpose of all of their excercises are based mainly on improving their stamina. The strength comes with that. I think the push ups/pull ups are a bigger part of boot camp. And they're not concerned with the muscles healing for size, they're concerned with making sure the can endure certain insane scenarios that could take place.

3. cscott67

cscott67 Formula Junior

May 13, 2007
    Milwaukee
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Try doing heavy squats 2 days in a row! ;o) You will quickly see the body needs time to heal. The off-time varies from person to person and load to load. If you are lifting heavy I have found that you will need 3 days of rest betwen exercises of the same kind. I grew a lot with three days on and one day off. Start over again. Good luck, Scott

4. Ferraribot

Ferraribot F1 Veteran

I don't feel sore for at least a day or two afterwards.

5. Aaya

Aaya F1 Veteran

Jul 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    Wu Tsai
    I've been meaning to start squats.

Thanks for the advice so far.

6. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    I personally wait about 4 days to re-train the same muscle group. If I feel the need to do it sooner, I will go light on the second day.

Also, you should consider taking glutamine post-workout. It does wonders for your recovery.

7. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    Well put! :)

8. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Thanks.

The only time I really feel sore is when I work traps. But upon switching up to my new routine my chest didn't stop burning until Thursday. I certainly prefer to feel the pain, but I know it's not a bad thing if I don't.