Reputable places to sell watches? | FerrariChat

Reputable places to sell watches?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by ndpendant, Apr 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hello, I have 2 watches I am thinking about selling and wanted to know where others go to sell and get a fair/resaonable deal. Hoping to avoid the ebay process..... Is there a classified area here on FC for watches as well? Also didnt want to post for sale in the forum and break rules if thats the case.
    Thank you
    Nd

2. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

What kind of watches ?

3. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    An omega Speedmaster Nasa/Moon watch and an ORIS Flight Timer R4118 Limited Edition Hurricane Edition
    All have boxes, papers and the Oris has the numbers matching British hurricane model

4. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    Nice watches , how much are you asking for them

5. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #6 arizonaitalian, Apr 18, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    I sold a rolex on here (stainless Explorer II with about 2 days of wear from me and about a year old).

iirc we used zelle and fedex 1-day shipping for the logistics. Was easy and I was happy to give the oppty to get one for a couple thousand less than market to a fellow member here (whilst I got a bit more than wholesale).

So a win/win (unless one wants every dollar for their stuff - which you can get if you go thru the marketing yourself, otherwise its wholesale offers out there. I got pennies for my IWC, Omega and another watch I traded towards the rolex).

Post 'em up here, whattya got to lose?

6. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    FWIW if you list on chrono 24, which is a fantastic website imho, they take 6%. So selling direct on here isn’t a bad choice.

7. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
  8. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    What dealer quoted you a couple of thousand less than retail prices on an Explorer? I do this for a living and margins on those watches are usually around $500 to $800 unless they were trying to really rip you a new one.

9. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i had a cartier watch i just sold

got an offer from crown & caliber, bernard and some other online place

all 3 were the same (???)

i wasnt trading it in so i just offered it here for the same amount

sold quickly

10. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    half dozen or more that I contacted back in 2018. I posted here too, asking $7k to start. Only got PM's with offers in the $5k range. So, I guess I got ripped a new one!

I hear all about stainless tool rolex going for near retail, but I didn't find that to be the case for my Exp II. I'm just unlucky I guess. (I did check for comps on all of the websites and used ones like mine had asking prices in the $7k range, so already $1100 below retail and that was by retailers selling who might have had to discount from there to move it)

At that time Explorer II were routinely on the shelf of dealers when you walk in - retail was $8100 iirc. Heck, I got an offer for 5% discount from retail for a new one when I bought mine (I paid full retail, but that store offered me more on my trades than the other offers I had and they were local).

11. Socaldego

Socaldego Karting

Sep 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Daniel J Messina
    Send me information and photos of watches you want to sell
    DJ 949-433-4700

12. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Sorry all, got called in to work and will try to get photos up and reply to PMs later tonight. Thanks!

13. Obaibai

Obaibai Rookie

Jan 15, 2020
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Larry chan
  14. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Their new comission structure changes the value proposition though. It used to be a charge to post, now it's 6.5% of the transaction.