Reputable independent mechanic, Seattle area | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Reputable independent mechanic, Seattle area

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by whatheheck, Sep 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    Here may be an interesting thought using Prancing Horse in Canada. I just purchased a couple of used motors in B/C last week and when I paid with my credit cards and converted the sale to US dollars the discount was 27%. The Canadian dollar has been dropping the last several months. We purchase 2 or 3 used motors a month and it worth the time to drive up there for 27% of the sale price.

just sayin'

tr0768

whatheheck likes this.
  2. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    #52 whatheheck, Nov 13, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    Thanks for sharing info.

No issues with Border Patrol agents?

Last time my wife and I were there we got hassled by the US border patrol agent big time. I was very respectful and compliant and he just keeps on yelling at me big time treating me like I'm stupid & unable to understand English. I had to file an official complaint, they reviewed the video footage and leadership apologized to us in writing & assured us they took steps to ensure it won't happen again. But maybe only because we're minorities.....

Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I've tangled with a couple of the US agents at the Blaine crossing. Crazy how hard it is for a US citizen to get back into their own country at this location, whereas going the other way the Canadian officers are courteous, professional, and generally welcoming.

whatheheck likes this.
  4. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Exactly. The Canadian agents were very polite, respectful, welcoming and very professional.

The US agents likes to exercise & display their power over you. It's power trip for them.

jcurry likes this.
  5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #55 f355spider, Nov 15, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    Sorry, but this is a suspicious post. Someone registers on Fchat simply to advise Americans to come to Canada to get their Ferraris serviced at their favorite independent Ferrari service center, never to return to this forum? I suspect an affiliation of some sort. ;)

6. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    I have NO affiliation with this particular company. If you review my post I was only suggesting someone to look into the Canadian dollar discount compared to the US dollar when thinking about going to Canada for service. If someone is on a limited budget this is an option, and I suggested it as such.

I am NOT in anyway a spokesman or suggesting this is a place to go, Please do not put words in my mouth, at 75 years old I am most capable to speak for myself. I might add I have owned Ferrari's longer than a good share of you have been alive.

just sayin'

tr0768

7. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I dont think F355 Spider was referring to you.
    He was referring to member "uɐɔn˥" with only 1 post on this forum.

Dan

f355spider likes this.
  8. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Reread my post Howard before going off. ;)

9. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I cross the border almost weekly. Never have problems with either side. But maybe with the American side being Canadian is a different experience. Regardless, besides the USD to CDN discount. At the duty free store at the border on the way out, Americans can apply to get the sales taxes they spent in Canada back.

f355spider likes this.
  10. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for sharing.

Question please: Are you Asian or a minority like me?

11. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    White guy...… My SIL is Chinese on a Chinese passport. She has a visitors visa for the U.S.. She goes down to mail packages to China. So far she hasn't had a problem with either sides customs.

whatheheck likes this.
  12. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    The rebate program for foreign visitors to Canada on HST/GST was ended in 2007.

whatheheck likes this.
  13. 27811

27811 Karting

Jun 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Hypertrash
    Just wanted to throw my accolades in here for Carlo and Leno at Alfa Tacoma. Super knowledgable. Easy to work with. Incredible shop. Convenient location for the Sound.

Sad to see them go.

14. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Alfa of Tacoma closed shop already?

15. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Maybe not quite yet, but I don't think they have taken on any new jobs for a while...

16. 27811

27811 Karting

Jun 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Hypertrash
    Carlo said he was trying to get out by the end of June. I haven’t been back since middle of last month.

f355spider likes this.
  17. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 30, 2006
    That's what I heard too when I visited last month. Lino was saying that Carlo may end up putting something together, but I don't know the status of that.

Jake C and whatheheck like this.
  18. 27811

27811 Karting

Jun 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Hypertrash
    Let’s hope he sets something up, even it’s a smaller shop or even in his gagare at home: His knowledge is too valuable to lose.

whatheheck likes this.
  19. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Carlo told me some time ago, he has a space set up at another location and will continue to do minor jobs, to a select clientele only. Sounded like it might be more of an "invite only" thing.

27811 and whatheheck like this.
  20. niftyfivefifty

niftyfivefifty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    We've always had great experiences with the Lynden and Sumas crossings. Less busy than Blaine, but YMMV. But we also don't cross quite as much as we used to.

Add another endorsement for Josh at Veloce. He supported me through the recent purchase of my 550, including taking my calls during the negotiation at the dealer, and he guided me through the PPI findings. His advice definitely helped me sleep better while I eagerly awaited delivery, and he's certainly earned my business.

whatheheck and f355spider like this.
  21. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for chiming in.

Update: I've decided to hire Josh and have him fix the leaking clutch throw out bearing on my F430 Spider.

Dan

22. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    I just arrived in the Tacoma area this week, have to find a replacement for the awesome guy I had in CA... any new updates?

I fortunately should have some time since I’m getting the major done now before it’s shipped up.

23. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Yes, I can highly recommend two Ferrari Indi Mechanic in the Seattle area.

1) Mark Glenwood. Former lead mechanic at local Ferrari dealer.
    He just opened 7 Lakes Auto Repair. 360-941-6527

2). Joshua Orr. Veloce Motorsports. Another great Ferrari Mechanic that used to work on a Ferrari dealer. 206-228-4485.

Both does a great job and charges very fair price.

Tell them Dan Loyola sent you and I assure you they will take very good care of you and your car.

Dan

24. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    And by the way, Joshua Orr did a great job replacing the clutch throw out bearing on my F430 for much less price than what the dealer quoted me.

Dan

Dewinator likes this.
  25. atpcfiaim

atpcfiaim Rookie

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    Trygve Figenskau
    I would not have bought my Ferrari without having a dealer in town. I have found the service outstanding and the pricing of that service quite reasonable. I also feel I have an obligation to support Ferrari of Seattle as my local dealer. Prices are roughly the same versus independents, plus factory computers and factory trained technicians. It is worth a few extra bucks to have it done right the first time.