Replicas.... | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Replicas....

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Farmer, Sep 7, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Phil_

Phil_ Rookie

Nov 16, 2011

hahaha @ chuck norris!

2. tcannon

tcannon Formula 3

Feb 18, 2009
    Norman, OK
    Full Name:
    Todd Cannon
    Just watch out for his extra fist in his beard. :D

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

I agree... but I think he should never have done that for the sake the loyalty of owners of originals. But, I'm sure the bucks were hard to turn down.

4. rogerskevin67

rogerskevin67 Rookie

Sep 17, 2012
    I really love cobra replicas, It is really great as a sports car.

5. Racer27

Racer27 Rookie

Sep 27, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Hello -

I just joined this board as I have interest is building/buying a Spyder 250 GT Cali Replica/Kit. I love the look of that car much more then the more common Cobras which are in the same price range. It is very appealing to have classic Italian style (Considering 250 GT, or Simpson Italia) in a modern, reliable, cost effective drivetrain.

I have not seen one up close yet but there is a shop in Northern NJ that builds them for less then $60K. Before engaging with shop (Not ready to pull trigger till next year) I am interested in connecting with other people who are looking at similar cars or who actually have one. Would love to pick your brain a bit and see what you have learned and what your opinions are.

Please feel free to PM me.

Regards...

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    if you ever put a Ferrari badge and name on it or ever call it a Ferrari we will send FPS after you. :D

7. Racer27

Racer27 Rookie

Sep 27, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Thank you for the response...

Being new here, don't know if you are serious or not. Regardless, I don't see it as being a Ferrari, but rather a Ferrari inspired car (Like the Simpsion Italia I am also considering), thus have no intention of putting Ferrari badging on it. If the manufacturer does not have thier own badging, I would come up with my own. I was thinking of something representing the American & Italian Influence.

The forums here are complicated - Is there a best forum of sub forum you could point me to where the owners, sellers, fabricators or interested owners of such examples frequent? I've not seen one of these up close yet, would love to connect owners or possible owners and get their feedback in advance of going to Carlisle next year.

8. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
  9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    that's not it! there is NOTHING Ferrari about his replica, thus not a Recreation or Rebody.

Belongs in General Automotive Off Topic.

10. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Rob, are you able to clarify something for me?

I notice that discussion of Jim's P4/5 and his competition version are openly discussed in the Ferrari section as if its a real Ferrari, however, is not the P4/5 an Enzo rebody and therefore should be in the recrecreation/rebody section? Also, if I understand correctly the competition version looks like it may well not even have a Ferrari drivetrain so should be in general automotive off topic?

NB Above is meant with 100% respect for Jim's projects but just curious as I feel am missing something so apologise in advance if that's the case.

With regard to the OP I think he would find more success if he were to join a Kit car forum. I personally have no problem with replicas but its a bit like joining a Rolex appreciation forum and wanting to discuss your fake watch. Its never going to end well! LOL

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    It isn't vintage. There are no recreation/rebody subforums under any other models so they all go into the parent. replicas with no Ferrari parts go as far away from the Ferrari subforums as we can get them. :)

12. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #87 348Jeff, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    no, modern rebodies is body was changed in modern times, like GTE to a TR. still all vintage cars to start. it is more acceptable period rebodies of the vintage cars.

14. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    On a similar note, I did end up querying this thread for being in the: Ferrari discussion (not model specific) section: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=383099

Basically because the car being discussed is to have a custom made chassis, custom made body, a non Ferrari based drive-train and basically nothing to do with Ferrari at all.

Essentially, to me it's no different to racer27's proposed project!

However, it seems that My query managed to kill the subject stone cold dead anyway!

15. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    +1

And hence my query - even the original P4/5 isnt a proper Ferrari - its a rebodied Enzo and depending upon ones point of view an Enzo has been "sacrificed" to create this just as older Ferraris are "sacrificed" for rebodies etc which are so badly looked down upon. It appears a contradiction in my eyes as Enzos will be regarded as classics one day - they just need to get older! LOL

IMO Either both threads should be in General Automotive/off topic or other self builders shpuld be cut a little more slack.

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    thanks for your opinion, but no. if there were enough Super Ferrari rebodies we would create a subforum there and put it there.

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    to my knowledge it is Ferrari powered at least.

18. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Don't get Me wrong here, I have no issue with the P4/5 Enzo "re-body" being in the: "Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)" section.

It was sanctioned by Ferrari, it's a Ferrari chassis/drive-train, Pininfarina did the design and it was pretty much dealt with as a brand new, one-off Ferrari (despite the age of the chassis).

However, I do/did have an issue with the P4/5 LMP being in the: "Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)" section as it's nothing to do with Ferrari (apart from a loose resemblance to the P4/5).

That topic should have been moved to: "Other Racing" as I see it! (but the thread died naturally anyway by the looks of it so it's not that big a deal).

19. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    From this post I took it to mean that Ferrari would not be involved in the project in anyway shape or form:

Along with:

Plus:

At the end of the day, I'm not trying to stir-up trouble Rob, it's your site and it's for you and the moderators to decide where these threads end up. I was just curious, that was all! :)

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    OK, I just read his first post and it said Ferrari powered record at The Ring, but now looking back he was talking about P 4/5 C. Sorry. It would be his first project not related at all to Ferrari, I think its still up in the air. If coming more together it is all custom non-Ferrari parts, then I agree 100% about going into Racing or General Automotive.

21. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    If someone posts an f50 question in the mondial forum, move it.... It helps the poster and everyone else. Being pedantic about the "rules" (in quotes because it's a privately owned forum) for things like this that are judgement calls, just sounds whiny.

But mommmmmm, my thread got moved and it had more Ferrari content!! <stamps feet>

it is fun to discuss (friendly over a beer) what is replica versus what is custom.

22. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    #97 Bradley, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I only raised my query because it was at Jim's insistance that this thread got moved as the car was branded as a "fake" which seems mighty harsh considering its a just a rebody.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=382887

Just seems a little unfair IMO for someone to do that then said same person to then be free to post about their rebody and planned maybe Ferrari powered self build and for it to be treated as a Ferrari....???

All I'm saying is that it should be one and the same rule for everyone :)

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I agree apples should be with apples.

25. forenzo

forenzo Rookie

Oct 18, 2012
    I own a 250GT Slyder made by AAC, it is a great car and I use it all the time which is something you can't do with a $5 million car. What is the purpose to own a car that seats in a Garage safe!