Replacing the speakers on my 88 | FerrariChat

Replacing the speakers on my 88

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by soucorp, Dec 30, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #1 soucorp, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Finally I got to my winter list of upgrades. Started with checking the rear window motors again, it was dead as a door knob. I didn't want to waste the whole day on that, so I went to #2 item on my list, replace the door speakers. The original Ferrari door speakers are 6.25" 50w/25w rms 4 ohms, I went with a nice Alpine 6.5" 240w/80w rms 2-way replacement. Here are the pics, as expected, the old cones were caput after 23 years!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Very nice writeup, thank you.

Love the luggage!

Erik

3. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Nice job, I will be doing the same very soon. Those luggages look really cool.

4. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #4 peterdavid911, Sep 22, 2012
    Hi Mike,
    Well the time has finally come to replace the radio and speakers. The radio is well on its way as I write and I was referring to you door panel removal thread and I am at a standstill:(

I have removed the long centre panel which was no problem.

I am now trying to remove the speaker door enclosure and have removed the 2 screws numbered 1 and 2 in the pic and also the 3rd under the panel and the 4th in the bottom corner of the carpet triangle on the door. Are there anymore as I cant remove the panel, it seems held by something in the top right by the handle area that I have marked with a question mark -?-.

5. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #5 peterdavid911, Sep 22, 2012
  6. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #6 soucorp, Sep 22, 2012
    Hi Peter,
    Just saw this, the corner carpet triangle on door has 2 screws. I think you might be missing the top one, its hidden under the rug fibers. see pic.

7. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hi Mike,
    Thanks for getting back to me.
    The 2nd screw in the triangle is missing so I only have the one that I circled. I noticed in your pics that you have also circled the round air vent in the side of the door, does this also have to be removed and how?
    I wired up a new Blaupunkt Cupertino 220 and looks amazing especially as its made for ipod. I still have the original Blaupunkt Memphis that came with the car in 1987 which I will keep for originality but it started jamming the cassettes:(
    Thanks very much.

Peter

8. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Peter,
    To be honest, I dont remember the upper part of that door, I think the door hose can come out just pull it hard but cant remember if it was holding the panel in as you are describing. You should be able to shine a flaslight in there to see whats snagging it.

sorry not much help,
    Mike

9. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks Mike,

I will get back onto it tomorrow and see how i get along. Appreciate your help as always and if theres anything i can help you with too please let me know.

Have a great day.

Peter

10. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I thought the upper part of the door panel had to come off to access a screw for the lowest part. It's been a while for me as well but I know I've removed all pieces each time I wanted to get to the speakers. I seem to remember detaching the lock button on top of door panel from inside and allowing the rod to come with the topmost door panel.

11. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hi Dirk,
    Thats exactly the point where I am at. I realised too that the long black panel needs to be removed to expose the hidden screws for the speaker panel which is what was preventing me from removing it and then I noticed that the door lock button has a rubber grommet and stops the black panel from lifting straight up.
    I will see if i can detach the door button rod as you mentioned which i hope will be easy so i can lift the black panel up:)
    Its been raining here all day and desperate to get it done but this weather is preventing me from taking it out the garage.

Thanks, Peter.

12. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #12 peterdavid911, Sep 23, 2012
    Door panels are off and so are the old original Ferrari speakers. As suspected (and hoped) they are in pieces after 25 years, see pic attached and you can see the holes and cracks.
    The tweeters are so low in sound and barely noticeable even when i turn the volume up that i also suspect they need changing too.

Does anyone know how to remove the tweeters from the dashboard? Does the speaker grill pull off, unscrew from the front, or is it held on from behind the dash with screws?

Mike, your component system looks great and also comes with matching tweeters which is exactly what i need.

Thanks, Peter.

13. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #13 soucorp, Sep 23, 2012
    Great that you got the panel off, I didn't have to replace my tweeters but to install them, you will need to unscrew the front dash cover to slide your hand under there to unscrew the tweeter unit from the roundel nut holding it on the dash cover. btw, the diameter size may be bigger than originals on your car, so check the size and you might need to cut a bigger hole to fit the new tweeter.

Good luck.

14. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    Good simple project Mike. I too need to do it. Do you think that a different Alpine speaker with different hole pattern might have saved you from having to drill new holes? I know it's no big deal, but if I don't have to do extra work when I do this, the better. How did you pick those Alpine speakers and how do they sound now that they are in? Happy? Thanks bud.

15. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Jay, these Alpine are great speakers, only prob is the bass is not that loud, then again my unit is a sony cd player with no amp hooked up. Its pretty basic 2 door speakers and 2 tweeters. But its good enough as I still want to hear that sweet sounding v8.
    Bought the alpines online, $90, returned the best buy ones same for $140.
    As far as the tweeters, I believe they are just a tad bit bigger, but cant remember the exact size. May need to use a small hacksaw to enlarge the hole not a big deal. Not sure if you can buy the exact size with the door speaker size as a kit, you will need to shop around.

Would I buy these again, def yes!

16. YELO T

YELO T Formula 3

Jul 2, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    If you have not purchased your speakers yet, look into JBL GTO638 3-ways. They have excellent bass for a 6.5" speaker, plus an adjustable mid-range/tweeter. However, for optimum sound, you will need a good head unit with a wide range of tuning controls.

Good luck.....

17. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I ended up buying a great set of Blaupunkt GT Power 65.3x speakers.
    They are 240W, 3 way tri-axial. I almost bought the Alpines that Mike fitted but decided against them as he is right that the bass is not that great after i read some reviews.
    Of all the brands these are the only ones i found that are the correct 159mm width exactly as the factory speakers i took out. They should arrive in the next couple of days.
    In the mean times the doors are striped and was thinking of lubricating the window runners, does anyone know of a good way of doing it?

Thanks, Peter.

18. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Has anyone looked at the Polk db 6501's? Looking at those along with a small Fosgate amp........

Regards,
    Jerry

19. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    #19 porphy, Jul 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    I have destroyed one of my dashboard mounted tweeters while the dash was out and would like to understand their characteristics for an eventual replacement if the originals can not be found. Anyone have an idea? There is no info on the tweeters.

20. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Sorry, I did not read back enough. Thanks