Replacing leather straps | FerrariChat

Replacing leather straps

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ghostdiver, Jan 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    While I am waiting on parts to complete my 30k service, I felt bad for letting my Bella sitting there with parts removed, all open. Kind of like a patient on the operating table, waiting for an organ transplant...

So, what else can I do to improve the car while waiting....how about replacing those fake leather straps in frunk?? Well, mine haven't broke yet, but I know its coming. So, with a relative that recently got involved in leatherwork, I drilled out the retention rivets and sent them out.

I told him that if he is able to duplicate them, he may well have a list of people seeking out replacements. I sent them out on Christmas day and he sent me an email on New Years Eve saying he was done. Just a FYI, he is local Austin, Texas area.

Here are the results....

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Kevin Rev'n and whatheheck like this.
  2. Fort Worth 360

Fort Worth 360 Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2008
    Fort worth Texas
    i'll take a set - well done

3. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    those look great. still baffled while ferrari went with fake leather!

4. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    I should have my set back shortly, and once I do I will go over any issues or questions I have with him. Following that, I would think that he will be able to produce them as needed. Right now, he has my original straps to make patterns from which is a 360. I didn't look at your profile but your pic shows a 430, so I am not sure if the straps are the same. The original pic I sent him was from a 458 which showed a different strap. If you have a 360, he can pattern them from mine. If its another model, he may need your originals or detailed pictures and dimensions to create them.

whatheheck likes this.
  5. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    The straps look great. I have a 360 Spider with very damaged straps. Were you quoted a price? thanks

6. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    Ill take a set also.

Ghostdiver likes this.
  7. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Not yet, he was using me as the Guinea pig. As soon as I hear back from him on pricing, I'll let you know. I'm pretty sure it will be very reasonable even without the "Ferrari" tax!

ShadowLAP likes this.
  8. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    thank you.

9. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I assume he is using your orig buckles etc.....they look nice

10. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Yes, he is using my original buckles but he did find what appears to be exact duplicates for them. The one thing he hasn't sourced is the retainer but he is still looking for them.

Need4Spd and whatheheck like this.
  11. derekmines

derekmines Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Melksham, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Nice idea... I bought a set from Ebay a few years ago for £99, they're not real leather though, so these will be far nicer.

12. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    I just bought a spare tire for my 360. Can he also provide the strap(s) for that.

13. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I will take a set also please....

14. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    He can however, he would need a pattern to work from. If someone in the community wants to donate the straps to make a pattern from, he can copy them and then return the originals or make a new set for that person at a discount (pricing not set yet)

15. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    In our last conversation tonight, he is going to price them two ways. One, using customer supplied hardware (new brass rivets will be used) or all new hardware. He has not set pricing yet so that will be something to consider. He is close to finalizing his pricing and once he does that, he should be able to start on the list of people.

As a teaser, here are the pics he will be posting on his site showing the straps.....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

whatheheck likes this.
  16. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Just a question for all those looking for these. What would you consider a reasonable price for these with new hardware?

Sent from my SM-G955U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. kreh

kreh Karting

Feb 21, 2006
    OC
    Full Name:
    Kim Reh
    Would be interested in a set for my 430

Ghostdiver likes this.
  18. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    Less than $100 would be my goal.

19. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Okay, here is the info on the straps for a 360.

From Ferrari, the straps are available (maybe) for a total of $247.40 USD

I say maybe because Ricambi shows that one of them is not available anymore. Pricing is from Eurospares and Scuderia Auto Parts.

65698700 (Front belt for tool kit)
    65695900 (Inflator upper belt with buckle--2 needed)
    65696000 (Inflator lower belt--2 needed)

I am waiting on his response for pricing and FChat discount.....

20. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    I don't want to put you and your uncle in a bind, but plenty of members have claimed that a whole set of belts (1 pair for the tool kit, 2 pairs for the fix-a-flat) utilizing their old existing hardware from a saddlery or a shoe repair store can be had for $20-30. I don't know how much new hardware cost (buying individual vs buying in bulk) but to be fair, I've never been able to get the above price when I call or ask around.

21. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    I agree completely and your not putting me in a bind at all. If he can make the straps for a reasonable amount, than great. If he wants to charge a F Tax, well then that's on him. Pretty sure he will lose that customer base. Now, since I found the hardware......

As far as that pricing goes, that is Ferrari pricing--not his. He is trying to decide what to charge, and given what the hardware and leather costs, I have a rough idea on what I think it should be but since I am not making them, I'll stay out of it.

Just for clarification, he is not my uncle.......he is my WCH....(wife's cousin's husband)

22. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    oh oops, my bad, I thought I had read somewhere that it was an uncle but i must've made that up in my head instead, haha!

Fixjets777 likes this.
  23. SFFerrari

SFFerrari Karting

Jul 21, 2013
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LanceD
    I have a 360 Spider and will want a set as well. I’m looking forward to someone finally stepping up with a quality and fair-priced solution to this just plain awful part from Ferrari.

Ghostdiver likes this.
  24. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    and being that he is my WCH, I have no problem telling him what I think.....

matter of fact, I don't really have any problem telling anyone what I think...family or not!! HaHa

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  25. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Pricing set at $150.00 for the 360 strap kit (tool kit & inflator straps only)

I have talked to him about discounts, etc. and I am waiting for his reply.
    Also, since he does not have patterns for any other vehicles, you may have to send in your originals for sizing.

Just the middle man here, all I am doing is passing on some info. I have no skin in the game so to speak.....
    If pricing is still a little high, let me know and I will pass it on.

Hopefully the mods won't object to me posting the site here. Again, I am gaining nothing here, just passing on info....

https://www.tworedbirds.com/product-page/ferrari-360-modena-tool-inflator-strap-kit