Replacing dash bulbs in 348 | FerrariChat

Replacing dash bulbs in 348

Discussion in '348/355' started by mjbcswitzerland, Mar 10, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mjbcswitzerland

mjbcswitzerland Karting

Jan 8, 2008
    #1 mjbcswitzerland, Mar 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi All

Below is pictures of the dash instrument panel from behind after taking it out.
    A second picture is a close-up of the red caps behind the bulbs.

I would like to move a couple of bulbs from the seat-belt warning lights (there are no seat belt detectors in European cars so these are effectively free) to the CEL light locations (these are not built into European cars since they don't have the test switches that the USA ones have delivered with them).

Before I damage something: How does one get the bulbs out and put new ones in? Can these caps be screwed using a pair of pliers or similar and then the bulbs somehow come out?

With finger pressure alone they won't unscrew. With pliers it feels that something will happen with a bit more effort, but this could also be something about to break.

Can I simply apply that extra pressure or am I going about it the wrong way and about to snap something off that I shouldn't???

Anyone done it and know for sure?

Regards

Mark
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. FlyingHaggisRacing

FlyingHaggisRacing Formula 3

Jul 2, 2013
    I would also like to know, need to replace a dead/missing bulb myself.

3. mjbcswitzerland

mjbcswitzerland Karting

Jan 8, 2008
    Hi

Just hold it with a pair of pliers and turn carefully 90° (counter-clockwise) - then it can be pulled out.

I also have one gone again so I may try replacing some with LEDs instead while at it.

Regards

Mark

4. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    And that panel comes off with just 2 screws, is that right? Easy to get off? I may end up pulling my seatbelt bulbs.

5. mjbcswitzerland

mjbcswitzerland Karting

Jan 8, 2008
    >>And that panel comes off with just 2 screws..

Assuming you mean the complete instrument panel, yes, there are two screws underneath it hidden in the leather. Feel around and you will notice what seem to be two 'rips' in the leather (originally I thought it bad workmanship wen I saw them from below) and you can make out screw heads if you point a torch-light into the holes.

You may need a bit of patience to get the screw driver to find the screw-heads and again when refitting to get the screws back into their holes. The screws themselves are not completely removed - just loosen them enough and they stay in their retainers.

There are a number of connectors which can all be removed quite easily - no need to worry too much about noting where each one was connected since they are all "coded" and can't be put back incorrectly.

Regards

Mark

6. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    Thanks Mark, I appreciate the info.

7. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I've just done this on mine last week - took some pics here

348 DIY "Restoration" - Page 138

You just twist the bulb holder anticlockwise and it comes out. You can then just pull the bulb out with your fingers.

8. Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Can anyone shed some light on the polarity of these bulbs/sockets as well as the ones in the climate control panel? It looks like there is a common trace between bulbs but no easy way to know if it is common ground or common 12V. I want to replace them with LEDs which are polarized.

steved033 likes this.
  9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell

No easy way, but you could figure it out using a wiring diagram and an ohmmeter.

On later cars:

On the left hand instrument panel connector (car side, not panel side), the green/white wire provides most of the (positive) power, Blue, white and green/black, too. You'll have to translate the wire colours on the car side of the connector to pin numbers on the panel side. I don't know what colours the wires have on the panel internals.

On the gauges, the dimmable power is provided by the yellow/red wires. Note that not all LEDs can be dimmed like tungsten filament lamps.

On the right hand connector, the green/white wire provides most of the lamp power. Yellow/black also provides power.

You may see a pattern forming when you check the contacts. e.g. all the positive contacts are on the bottom/top(?) or left/right (?) of a particular light group. Perhaps you could let us know what patterns you see.

Check the connector pin to the bulb contact (bulb removed).

These colours may vary on the Spider.

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Actually, I'm not sure of the blue. It goes to the turn indicator. Blue-black also goes to the turn indicator. Typically, blue and blue/black wires are used for right and left hand turn indications (respectively). The polarity may reverse, rendering a left or right hand turn indication inoperative if you put LEDs there. Also, the instrument panel turn indicators may be part of the turn indication resistive circuit (which produces hyperflashing if the resistance is wrong). e.g. when a turn indicator bulb is blown.

11. Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Good suggestion. Wiring diagram plus the connectors should be enough to figure it out.

12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell