Replacement thermostat housings - Warning | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Replacement thermostat housings - Warning

Discussion in '206/246' started by TonyL, Jul 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Maybe the "L" series thermostat is different as the one pictured doesn't look like the 4222883 thermostat of the "E" series.

2. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    It's the same part number with note "SAVARA" in the L-series parts manual

3. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    The cut out is for sure made in the original machining process. That is very obvious to see when you study the metal at close range. I would not be surprised if this is the original thermostat, but that is only speculation.

Best, Peter

4. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    russh and Skippr1999 like this.
  5. MarkT

MarkT Karting

Jun 7, 2004
    mountains-NC
    Full Name:
    Mark Turczyn

As a confirmation, I pulled out my original thermostat and it was a Savara. It has been so long that I installed a new t-stat that I forget what brand it was. Whatever brand I installed, it has been working well for 15 years now.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Nice, out of curiosity what is the depth of the thermostat from the flange to the base of the stat, the diameter of the flange and also the depth from the from flange to the top of the unit.? eg as many measurements as you can.

Photo 1 - does the base of the stat rest against the port in the housing. There is definately a "polisheed" area that seems to seal against something

Tony

7. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    So I measured the flange diameter of my t-stat and got 55.7mm. When closed the distance from the bottom of the flange to the bottom of the t-stat with the Savara name and numbers is 32mm. I heated it in a pan of water and she opened up at the correct temp and when fully opened the distance was 40mm vs 32mm.

TonyL likes this.
  8. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
  9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The Ferrari t stat I took out of my 308 was equipped with a nylon or plastic lower seal, about 2mm thick!!

I doubt the small amount of flow thru matters for the five minutes the engine runs cold???

10. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    The 308 thermostat appears to need the rubber seal on the primary disc as it doesnt seal off the port properly when up to temperature, this will / can cause short circuiting through the chamber and cause fluctuations in engine temps while on the move. The 308 housing is different to the 246 unit although the principle is the same.

If the rubber seal on the primary disc is used on the 246 it does restrict water flow over the sensor and can cause spikes in block temperatures before it actually registers the true temp, it can also become dislodged and block off flow completely - dangerous!

Best
    tony

11. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Tony,
    Is there something you don’t like about the thermostat I posted from Superformance that seems to be working well ?

Skipp

12. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Skipp that stat appears to work fine for the 246, i am concerned about 246 stats with the rubber seal on the pri disc....see post 63 second pic
    Regards
    tony

Skippr1999 likes this.
  13. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
  14. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Alberto
    If you use a thermostat that has an overall COLD length of 32mm (flange to disc) then that gap should be around 8mm.
    Kind Regards
    Tony

15. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto