Replacement hood stuts | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Replacement hood stuts

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by jacques, Nov 10, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Plus you can use your old struts as a stylish pair of drop earrings!

2. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    To Full Garage I saw the price. Did you have additional duties and fee to pay? Thanks. Jq.

3. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I hear this question from time to time & have meant to respond to it from my experience.
    I picked up a set of SS headers from Superformance a year or so ago & I was never charged any duties whatsoever. I don't remember the declared value they attached to it but it was substantial. I've received numerous other items from GB with no duties charged, I don't know if the US & GB have an agreement or what :confused:
    I've received many other items from other overseas destinations & noticed that the vendors sympathize with overseas buyers & declare as little as they can get away with to minimize the burden. Certainly a phone call to them couldn't hurt :eek:

As you would say Jq, hope this helps :D

4. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    if there is an agreement from the UK to the USA it isn't reciprocal because every time without fail that I import anything from the states I get stung for import duty and Vat - every time!

As I said before, feel free to have them shipped to me and I'll forward as a gift. You just need to cover the carriage cost I incur.

5. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Mine are still in transit- Usually mail packages are not dutied but we'll see.

6. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Yes it does help, and thank you Bruce. Jq. Happy Thanksgiving, all.

7. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    I am going to send my struts off to be reconditioned by Strutwise in Canada.

It looks like the hood pad needs to be removed to access the mounting points. Is there any way of avoiding this? I'm reluctant to remove the pad in case it is damaged and won't go back on properly. It seems to be glued as well as riveted.

Is the purpose of the pad to keep noise down or heat out or both?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Aidan

8. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Aidan,

Just out of curiosity, why did you go with Strutwise as opposed to LS Technologies?

Cheers,

Sam

9. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    You don't need to remove the hood pad - take off the two screwed on (or riveted in the case of my 365) side panels which cover the edges of the pad then gently peel the edges and the glued areas of the hood pad back so you can gain access to the strut mount. Use a piece of cardboard to cover the painted area and use some spray glue to reattach the unglued areas before refitting the side panels.

Not a difficult job, just take your time.

10. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Sam

No reason really. I just contacted them and they seem nice to deal with! I didn't try LS, I'm sure they're nice too.

Aidan

11. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I think partly to keep noise down but mainly so the hood paint doesn't get baked :eek: