Replacement hood stuts | FerrariChat

Replacement hood stuts

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by jacques, Nov 10, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    What have we found for hood support struts in the after market? I realize that they can be repaired in Canada for $75/$100 each, but I just know that someone has found the perfect alternative brand. Thanks in advance. Jq.

2. new ulm 400i

new ulm 400i Karting

Sep 1, 2007
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Full Name:
    Lee Atkinson
    LS technologies in fact sold me alternative struts instead of trying to fix mine...

3. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    #3 rustytractor, Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

I just bought new hydraulic bonnet support struts for my 365 very cheaply in England - they're the exact right length but are slightly thicker than standard, the mountings are a bit thinner so will need packing washers either side and the piston part is black instead of chrome

The cost delivered was £60 for the pair and when I checked my 400 yesterday it has the same struts already fitted. The supplier would have fitted the end fittings from my old struts but the existing struts on mine were different on each side so there was no point.

If you want details of the supplier let me know.

Russ
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    #4 rustytractor, Nov 11, 2013
  5. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    #5 rustytractor, Nov 11, 2013
  6. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Rustytractor..Yes PLEASE!! I would love the supplier info.. ThanKs. JQ.

7. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    The link below will take you directly to the part required on the supplier's website:-

Ferrari 400 Front Gas Strut - 2532855000 9905606

Total cost to me delivered was £60.74

If you want to buy these let me know and I'll call them first and see if they'll do any form of discount for Forum Members - you never know, it's worth a shot.

If you like they can be shipped to me and I'll send them to you as a gift as this will probably save you some import duty.

Regards,

Russ

8. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    And as I mentioned before, if you want to send them your old struts they'll remove the end fittings and fit them to the new units which is probably the best way to go. When I ordered I asked if they had the correct fittings available but sadly they can't get them any more.

Alternatively if anyone out there can send me a pair of old, dead struts that they have laying around with the correct end fittings I'll arrange a kind of end fitting "exchange service". By this I mean I'll buy another set and have the correct ends fitted, when someone wants a pair I'll send them the new ones and they can send me their old ones back. It's far quicker this way as you still have your old ones on the car until the new ones arrive.

Actually I may only need one strut as I have an odd pair here from my 365 and the fittings are correct on both but they aren't the same on both struts - one strut has plastic ends, the other metal which was a shame for me as I wanted a matched pair.

Happy to do this at cost if it help other owners out.

9. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    I might be interested in two - Mine just gave up the ghost….

10. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Happy to help, if you want to order struts or send me yours to sort the fitting swap let me know.

I'm assuming that the ends CAN be swapped so initially at least one correct strut will need to be sent to SGS to get this confirmed. The problem with mine is I'm unsure which (if either) on the 365 was correct.

11. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    I called SGS re discount this morning.

They said they'd be able to discount for orders of 10 struts or more but said that even if just a pair were ordered they'd fit the original fittings from old struts FOC as a small further discount to forum members.

That's assuming they fit of course.

12. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Russ

They seem cheap enough so I ordered a pair since my 400i hood is getting (Excuse me- Bonnet) a new insulating pad. Thanks for the tip!

13. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    No problem, as I mentioned before if you want them shipped to me I'll forward to you as a gift which may bypass (or avoid) the duty.

14. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #14 full_garage, Nov 12, 2013
  15. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Nice !! Mustang parts aren't really a problem over here but I'll bear it in mind.

Are you scrapping your old struts ? If you are and the fittings are correct any chance I could get hold of them ?

16. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I figured I'd keep them around - I always hang onto my old parts in case these cars become worth something at some point.

17. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    #17 180 Out, Nov 13, 2013
    Funny you should mention Mustangs. On Monday I was disassembling the hood latch on my '65 fastback, for a re-paint. The horizontal base of the latch assembly uses three bolts and three nuts to attach it to the vertical support that goes in front of the radiator. The nuts are square and sit in a cage. The cages hold the nuts in place in slots stamped into the support. To make it easy on myself, to break loose these fasteners for the first time in 48 years, I used an impact driver. Bad choice. While the air tool spun the bolts loose, no problem, it also broke two of the three cages. If this had been the Ferrari I would be checking the balance on our second mortgage line of credit while also searching three continents for a donor vehicle. This being a '65 Mustang I merely logged on to National Parts Depot and ordered a "concours" kit for $5. In fact, I ordered two kits, to have a spare set just in case. As I did this I exclaimed to my wife, "I love the Mustang hobby!" Of course a '65 Mustang is just another Detroit sheet metal extrusion, one of 1.2 million made in the '65-'66 frenzy of the first gen Mustang. But the ease of keeping on top of one of these cars, in comparison to a Ferrari, is day and night.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Yeah I love ordering parts for the Mustang- Replaced both lower control arms with new Dynacorn upgrades, sway bar bushings and tie rod ends- Total price delivered $150.

19. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    And you can re-set the toe-in in your driveway with a piece of string!

20. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Agreed - and they drive so well considering they're a mass produced car. Our 67 is really easy all round, with very light and (unusually) precise steering.

A truly beautiful car which everyone admires.

But it doesn't have the soul of a 365 or 400 Ferrari and doesn't conjure up the same emotion.

21. new ulm 400i

new ulm 400i Karting

Sep 1, 2007
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Full Name:
    Lee Atkinson
    ...for years I drove a red 308 GT4 and a yellow 1970 Mustang convertible...driving the Ferrari would get noticed, but so many times people would glare as if I were the attorney foreclosing on their house...but everyone, Everyone, always gave the thumbs up on the Mustang. Everyone has a Mustang story...
    I sold both cars before I moved overseas, and I'm not sure which of the 2 I'd rather have back--but I'll bet the Mustang would be more expensive by now...Lee

22. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Price is a good point and you're probably correct.

Odd when you think how many (hundreds of ?) thousand Mustangs there are out there but so few 400's.

We live in a strange world !

23. ulf rickard

ulf rickard Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Ulf Rickard
    The company producing these struts are Swedish ..... You can look directely into their website
    Aditech for information... If anyone need help maybe I can offer some assistance

Please note
    I have nothing to do with this company

Ulf Rickard

24. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Hi Ulf,

One of my old struts had an Adtech sticker on it so I found this website while looking for original struts but don't speak Swedish so gave up.

I was told by Eurospares a while back that they sell "original replacement" Ferrari struts for around £150.00 plus Vat each - maybe these come from Adtech ? Would it be possible for you to contact them and see if they still make the correct struts for our cars and if so at what cost and availability ?

Coincidentally the 365 I recently purchased came from a Swedish collector. For me trying to understand the paperwork and history which came with the car isn't very easy !!

25. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Thanks Mr Tractor! I ordered struts from SGS this am - now I have $ left over for Cromodora Cufflinks! (-*