Replace Porsche 991.1 C4S with a Ferrari 328 GTS? | FerrariChat

Replace Porsche 991.1 C4S with a Ferrari 328 GTS?

Discussion in '308/328' started by SLC Tortfeasor, Jun 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Should I replace the 911 with a 328?

Poll closed Jul 3, 2020.
  1. Yes!

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. No!

12 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. SLC Tortfeasor

Feb 8, 2007
    *I've cross-posted this on Rennlist so that I can compare and contrast the responses. Should be an interesting experience!*

My Porsche 991.1 C4S is the greatest car I've ever driven, and probably the best car I'll ever be able to afford. I see it as basically perfect for me in almost every way. But a Ferrari 328 has always been on my bucket list, and I often finding myself wanting something flashier, rarer, and slower. That's right -- I think I would be better off without the temptation to drive felonious speeds.

I would have to sell my C4S to afford the Ferrari. And giving up the back seats would mean my 8 and 10 year old boys could no longer ride around with me, which they do enjoy (for the time being, at least). There's really no doubt that the 911 is objectively better than the Ferrari by almost every measure (except for the fact that it's less exotic and special), but I'm having trouble analyzing what I prefer more: having an "ideal" car (i.e., one that is basically close to perfect for me), or fulfilling lifelong fantasies and crossing cars off my bucket list.

Incidentally, other cars on my list of fantasy cars include the De Tomaso Pantera and the Lotus Esprit. But given my budget it's not realistic to actually attempt to cross them all off my list, and I doubt I'll try. But the 328 holds a special place in my heart.

If you have any thoughts, opinions, or words of wisdom on this topic, please share!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I vote no.

You do it after your kids leave home. Right now you have a practical do-everything car and that is what you need it this phase in life.

I had to make the same choice when my kids were young although it was between a 4-seat BMW 325i convertible vs a 2-seat Mercedes 250SL. I went with the BMW.

mexicruiser, FrannyB, tomc and 4 others like this.
  3. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If you really believe that then...no.

4. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    More of a “ as well as “ as opposed to a “instead of “ is the best way to describe the 3 series F cars .
    Totally different, addictive and better driving experience to any piece of pork .

5. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    If the kids still enjoying taking a ride with Dad in his cool sports car, then no - don't sell it for the Ferrari.

You can always buy a Ferrari one day; you won't be able to buy those memories.

mmyhorses, Nuvolari, FrannyB and 4 others like this.
  6. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    If it’s been a bucket list car then I say yes do it. They are beautiful cars and just looking at it sitting in the garage brings me joy.
    The driving experience is fantastic. Not fast by todays standards but definitely fast enough to have a good time.
    You can wind it out in the first 3 gears up to red line and not be at crazy speeds.
    As far as the kids, when we were young my Dad had a Triumph TR6. There were 6 of us kids. My Dad took us all for rides at different times.
    We loved the one on with with Dad in the car. Actually that was back before seat belts where a law and he would have one kid in the front and one behind the seat sometimes. This is when my sisters were little and just around the neighborhood. But us older kids went alone.

Rob Sherman and SLC Tortfeasor like this.
  7. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Forget the kids' "college fund" and buy both. Just an idea...

SLC Tortfeasor likes this.
  8. Big Swole

Big Swole Karting

Jun 20, 2020
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    David
    OP, I'm in your same shoes (without the kid issue...Well my GF's 11 year old goes with us from time to time for rides).
    I have a 997.2 Turbo S and am a power junky but really don't need 600 WHP.

A 308/328 has been on my Bucket List since I was a kid watching Magnum P.I. (I'm 48)
    I want a 308 but think the 328 would be a better choice given a little more power / modern tech.

I'd have to sell my TTS to buy a Ferrari also. Very tough call.

9. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Frankly, I think you would be disappointed. If you are "used" to the Porsche's capability, there is no way you are going to be happy with the 3x8 as a replacement - and I'm just talking about performance not even considering that you can't take the kids riding in the 3x8.

SO...I agree with others that say wait OR buy a 3x8 as a "second" sports car along side the Porsche, not in place of it.

But good luck with whatever you decide! :)

10. Dinzo22

Dinzo22 Rookie

Jun 20, 2020

I have to say...as someone who has owned 3 911’s, including my current 997.2 Turbo S, you need both. I have an ‘84 308 GTS. They are totally different cars but I wouldn’t put the Ferrari through the paces that the Porsche does. I wouldn’t even drive it in the rain. That said, the Ferrari is so much more fun to drive that you can’t even compare the two. It’s also, in my opinion, a way more beautiful car (and I love Porsche). I took it today to the hardware store and by the time I came outside, there were 3 guys gathered around it. It’s just so iconic and brings a smile to my face just looking at it. If possible, keep the Porsche and find a reliable, well-maintained Ferrari—maybe with higher mileage because they do run a lot longer than most people think.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'm sorry but the question has a serious contextual problem. If you want to talk about performance comparisons then you either need to use a 1989 911 Carrera or a 2015 Ferrari 458. It also leads to a secondary question that while you posses a wondrous 991, the finest automobile you've ever owned, why do thoughts of a 31 year old Ferrari 328 still disturb your rest? :)

12. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    We are transitioning to the perpetual debate about old car vs new.

The 3x8 is a wonderful “social” car; “flashy” yet friendly and approachable. The 911 is generic and quiet.

kcabpilot and I (with other 308 owners) went on a monster drive (176 miles for me) a couple of weeks ago in our 308s. It was a mountain road drive that just would not be the same fun in a modern 911 or 458. One of the 308 owners does indeed own both a 360 and 458 and said so himself. In a 3x8 it was exhilarating.

13. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Maybe but part of my point is that every time a 308 or 328 is talked about or discussed at auction you will always get the inevitable "These are not fast" or "A Camry will smoke it" comments. These sentiments are usually based solely on 0 - 60 times, as if we are all 17 year olds but the 328 was 5.9 sec whereas the original Lamborghini Miura was 6.3, the Countach 6.8, the 512BB 6.1 and the 1989 911 6.0

You never hear that when people talk about those cars. They never say they are "slow" it's just a 3x8 thing for some reason.

BTW the 0 to 60 time for a 1989 Camry was 11.8 seconds so there ;)

14. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    I agree ...that “smoked by a Camry” is lame and over played

15. SLC Tortfeasor

Feb 8, 2007
    Because it's beautiful, iconic, and more special than the 911. I'd like to have the experience of owning a true classic. And most importantly, I promised myself many, many times when I was younger that I would have one someday.

If I could afford a 458, I would love to have one. It's probably my favorite modern Ferrari. But the 328 is the one I have lusted after for decades. Back in the day, I wasn't interested in Porsches at all. They were too boring, not flashy enough. I loved Ferraris because they had more pizzazz. So the decision I have to make is really about weighing the importance of present day performance, capability, and practicality against keeping a very sincere promise I made to myself many times over the years.

Frankly right now I'm leaning toward keeping the 911. I fear that once I actually have the 328 in my garage and the thrill of finally getting my trophy wears off, I'll be left with maintenance hassles and I'll miss the modern day luxury of my 911.

mexicruiser likes this.
  16. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I wise decision, I think, given the situation. It's all about what works for you. You can always buy a 328 sometime in the future. I don't think the prices will rise any more than the inflation rate, if that.

To be fair, and a comment re maintenance hassles. It depends on what constitutes a 'hassle'. To me it's when something fails that requires the car to be repaired. It's not routine maintenance - fluid change, new tires, etc. I have owned my 328 since '08 and have had less repair issues with it than we have had with any of the cars we have purchased new in the past 20 years, including my 2000 Porsche 911 and 3 different MB's. The number of times my 328 has required repair to fix something that kept it off the road in the 12 years I have owned it has been...none. ;)

I have driven it across the US 3 times so it's not as if it doesn't see the road much. In each case I made the trip in three days. Admittedly, it's NOT a comfortable choice for a 2700-3000 mile drive in 3 days but that's a different issue! :)

SLC Tortfeasor and Big Swole like this.
  17. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    What do the Porsche people say?

18. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    At the end of the day the Camry owner ends up with a Camry in their drive....

19. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I'm sure they are saying, "Dump the Porsche and get that old Ferrari!"

BWA HA HA HA :) :) :)

20. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    How about this?
    Sell the Porsche, don't buy a Ferrari but buy a Subaru. Get some Birkenstock's, a "Hillary for President" bumper sticker for the Subaru, a Golden Retriever, a goose down vest, put the kids in the Subaru and go camping in a vanishing wilderness area.
    Easy peasy

21. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    ...and an "euro" 328 GTB even delivered 5.6 sec 0 to 100 km/h, tested by the press, when new.
    Question: has the O.P already driven a 328?

Rgds

22. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Same experience here: I have had my 328 GTB for twelve years now, and the 328 GTS for ten. Only failures needing repairs were a broken rear exhaust manifold on the GTB, and a broken alternator belt on the same car; it brought me home on both occasions, the alternator belt had the courtesy to break only ten miles from home. Drove the GTS 200 miles this week-end.

Rgds

23. FrannyB

FrannyB Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    Arvada, CO
    Think about it from the perspective of swapping out the 991 for a lat eighties 3.2 Carrera. Would you do that? Ok, why not? All those negatives would most likely apply to the 3X8. These are cars with a radio not an "Infotainment Center". The have separate AC controls and manual steering... They are small inside and pretty low. They are hard to see on the road and hard to be seen with very little protection in an accident. They are loud inside (and outside) and not something you can as easily walk away from parked on some random street or parking lot. They require a pretty strict maintenance schedule or bad things happen and they are just "old" cars.

Pretty much all these things are why I love them so much, but most folks would feel differently. Just realize that these older cars are very different than anything made after 2000. Porsches are great cars. We have a 356, 3.2, 993 and 996TT and we also have a 308QV. They are all super different and neither could replace any other.

My suggestion would be to drive a 3X8 and see what you really think. Then walk away and think about it.

Franny

SLC Tortfeasor and thorn like this.
  24. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    1. Very valid point; as said above, I used the GTS this week-end for about 200 miles, and, among other things, went to collect, then bring back, a friend at the nearest railway station, in a city (the car lives in a small village). City driving in a 3x8, although not particularly difficult, is getting really stressfull (maybe I'm also getting old...) queuing at a red light and seing that the tailgate of any modern car has the lowest point of its rear window higher than your roof line does not inspire much confidence: they might back-up on you without seing your car...you cannot really leave it parked out of your sight, either.

2. Absolutely: as I wrote above, the O.P must, by all means drive one, just to have a more realistic opinion.

Rgds

SLC Tortfeasor and FrannyB like this.
  25. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I've owned both and will say that they are TOTALLY different cars mainly down to over 30 years of development between them. By any metric the Porsche is the superior car and its not even close. This also goes for service which is cheaper and more infrequent than on a Ferrari.

As soon as you start to consider the qualitative elements then it becomes a personal judgement call. For a lot of people that get used to the comforts and refinement of a modern car the realities of a classic are a cold shower to the dreams made from looking at posters. If your attitude is right then this is a non-issue and the quirks of ownership are part of the appeal. I've seen a lot of people realize the dream of a Ferrari only to bail a short time later because they were not mentally ready for the ownership experience.

Personally I love my 308 and will own a Porsche now and then as fun daily transportation. The 308 is like ice cream and should be considered a treat now and then. Just as I would not like to eat ice cream every day so too I would not want to daily drive an older Ferrari. I have no such reservations with a Porsche.

SLC Tortfeasor, pizzadude and FrannyB like this.