Repair of the Fake leather straps 458 trunk | FerrariChat

Repair of the Fake leather straps 458 trunk

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by docf, Dec 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Can't believe Ferrari still using cheap fake leather straps in luggage compartment that secures tire compressor on one side & tools on the other side in the 458. They break without touching where the 2 rivet's on ea. side go through the strap onto trunk material.. Anyone know where to order real leather straps and can I just drill out the rivets and replace with some hex screws or tap for hex bolts.

whatheheck likes this.
  2. virendra

virendra Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    virendra anand
    In 20 plus years they still can't fix the sticky interior. maybe they need to learn from the Germans or Japs about certain parts and technology, after all they do use DENSO / SANDEN for aircon condensors and alternators.

whatheheck likes this.
  3. virendra

virendra Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    virendra anand
    They break as they use a small dia rivet with a washer to secure a 4 cm wide strap that becomes brittle over time. I have seen a few cars with a rectangular stainless steel plate that has 2 holes to squeeze the strap between the body and the rivet.

4. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I'm leaning toward drilling the rivets out, going to saddle shop to have them make the leather straps in satin black. Not sure how to secure the straps yet. My straps broke distal to the rivets & were not brittle. Straps appear to be reprocessed something, but not leather.

5. woody byrd

woody byrd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
    #5 woody byrd, Dec 18, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    The straps that hold the owners manual in the trunk of my 599 had just worn out after many years. I checked on replacing them at Ricambi. I think they were around $175 and had black only. I called around and found a Shoe Shop that made them for me. They took the buckles off the old straps, and replaced the exact looking in leather for $35.

whatheheck and docf like this.
  6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Just look for a leather shop and tell/show then what you want. I had the leather strap that hold the 355 tool kit down duplicated that way for $20.

syata, whatheheck and docf like this.
  7. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Well went to a saddlery today and they will made the straps for me out off "real Leather". Understand this stuff is called leather, but is made from animal waste by products into a slurry , then heated into layer then cut to size! Debating on using Alum. or plastic rivets at this point. Never expected this on the 458.

8. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I am kinda shocked that the 458 has these also. In my 360 I had a set made from a guy that advertises on ebay. He is in England but is a pro so the distance wasn't a problem. It sounds like you found a local solution which is good! I can try to dig up the contact info if you need it let me know. I found a pic of mine that he made. i was very pleased with the product and he shipped the correct size rivets also. They are metric. I think the closest Standard size is 1/8 IIRC... maybe 3/16?. I messed up a couple on install and had to use what was available to me locally. Aluminum is the way to go on these IMHO. If you are doing it yourself, and if the trim parts are like a 360 pay attention and carefully mark where the screws go that you remove. There are a couple different lengths and shoulders on them.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

In this picture you can see the backing details that are behind the carpet panels. These are what engage the rivet.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

whatheheck likes this.
  9. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Thanks for the reply Kevin. Where did you get the backing plates as I did not note any on the 458 what so ever and it certainly is a good idea. I only need 4 and would be most grateful if you could direct me as to where to purchase them. I recently sold my 03 360 which I liked very much. I had the spare tire option which had what I thought nice leather appointments to secure the tire,books,tools in the trunk and literally one day when the temp got down they self destructed in front of my eyes. Luckily the 458 only has 2 straps (4) pieces total. Unbelievable Ferrari used this same material.
    I was thinking of possibly using black nylon rivets in place of the black Alum. ones as much easier to replace if needed, hold should be secure as they are only securing a small compressor & tire gel on 1 side and a small cheap tool kit on the other side. These items are on a small shelf to aid weight distribution.
    Should get my straps post Christmas. Various rivets Friday. Hopefully you can help me to locate the backing plates. Your straps look very nice.
    Gary

10. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The plates are part of the assembly in a 360 so I just re-used my old ones. If there are none in the 458 then perhaps the carpet panels are made differently.

11. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Maybe Kevin they are there and just didn't check it out. It was a job drilling out those old rivets. They seemed a lot more like Stainless than alum.
    Anyway thanks for the update.

12. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    Hey Kevin, if you're able to dig up the contact info on the guy who made these for you in England, I'd really appreciate it!

13. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    A family member recently got into leather crafting and makes some pretty good stuff. I sent him a pic of the straps to see if he can duplicate them.

14. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Here is the guys eBay store.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/stevecobra21962/m.html?item=112052114062&nma=true&nav=SEARCH&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&si=dv4AEcUVdjvUYWcDPvHeZTuA2C4%253D&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

He is easy to communicate with. He might need you to provide some dimensions for your specific straps. I cant find the email dialog we did outside of ebay so i cant find his personal email but you can get it from him by asking.

Cheers and Aloha, Kevin

15. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
  16. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    I sent pics to the guy who is interested in this and he said it's not a problem. My straps are not broken but I may take them off and send them to him to see what he can do. If anyone is interested in doing this now, PM me.

17. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    My project is going well. As soon as my straps for the 458 are finished post Holiday's)will post some pictures. As there only 2 straps (4 substraps) it will now be down hill. Decided not to have the mounting holes tapped by the Saddler in the straps. Have purchased a set of punches on Amazon for the 4-5-5mm holes necessary. Will used a protractor to measure the off set of the double screw set needed for ea attachment. Instead of using rivets will use black trim screws (8 #8 or #10's) . Screws are much better than rivets I think and attach securely in the back plates. Tried a few today, easy to work with, look very good. Worse part of the project was drilling out the rivets. I swear they must be stainless.

18. andrewecd

andrewecd Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I bought 2 leather belts, cut to size, trimmed ends and punched new holes to suit etc.

docf likes this.
  19. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    How much did the cost and how long to Make Andrew?

20. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Japs?
    "Jap is an English abbreviation of the word "Japanese". Today it is generally regarded as an ethnic slur among Japanese minority populations in other countries, although English-speaking countries differ in the degree to which they consider the term offensive. In the United States, Japanese Americans have come to find the term very controversial or extremely offensive, even when used as an abbreviation."

21. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
  22. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Those look great. Contact information would be helpful. Thanks

23. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The finished edges on these look superior to the ones I posted before and have installed on my car. A little farther from the stock look but it is a better result!

24. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    I'm working on that with him now. As soon as he gets his pricing worked out, he will move forward with the growing list of requests.

I warned him that there would be a demand if he could replicate these....

25. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Qavion likes this.