Renault R5 turbo thread | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Renault R5 turbo thread

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by JeremyJon, Dec 23, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    #151 koisokok, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. The Kook Abides

The Kook Abides F1 Rookie

Jan 4, 2011
    When we made the Dino GT4 movie we had some time to kill, so we shot some R5T2 stuff.

No action shots, but still some decent overall looks at the car.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjT1pa-Rc34&list=UUTe1QGH35a-8aUnhd1c_7PA&index=2]Renault R5 Turbo 2 World Rally championship car restored factory racer rare short film - YouTube[/ame]

3. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
  4. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    if memeory serves, there was an actual full road test in car and driver or road and track magazine.

performance test, specifications and a side view orthographic cut away drawing included. if i had to guess it may have been around 82-84? a quick search should point u in the right direction...

hope this helps

hf

PS im thinking is R&T

5. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    thanks, i'm wondering where it is today?

6. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    good vid Pat!

nice pic!!

7. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    #157 JeremyJon, Mar 15, 2013
  8. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    #158 JeremyJon, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
    let me ask a general question here, and no flaming please, thanks!
    here in north america these are fairly rare to come by, only a very few per year come up for sale, somewhere around $40,000 up to $50,000 USD for a clean & straight T2
    for collectors they seem well priced, and sell well, from what i've seen
    for some though that seems like a lot (i don't think so, if a collector i wouldn't balk)
    i've access to a few lecar (which as we all know the body work comes from), complete and not to rusty, m seriously considering building a clone, using an alternate drivetrain, still a I4 turbo + 5 spd, about 350 hp / 350 tq ....not meant to be an exact replica, but looking oem outside and inside....all my car builds have been pretty exacting, i'm really picky that they be well done and strong!
    i know there are some kits out there, but that's not what i mean, my own personal design uses a more modern drivetrain, suspension/steering and brakes/wheels/tires, and a fabricated full tubular chassis and cage, the body shell grafted onto that, and composite fenders/hood used
    my question is: would there be a market for say 1-2 'clones' like this to sell per year, say for around $20K?

9. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I would say yes there could be a market for clones yet it would probably help if you had some renderings. For me personaly I would like to know more about the proposed drivetrain.

10. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    #160 JeremyJon, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
    well it would look oem R5 turbo outside and inside, i've a line on a full set fenders/hood, which i will definitely be refining to better quality anyways, then from those i can make my own molds for more
    the basic body shell, trimmed, from the steel donor lecar, but underneath a rather simple but strong tube frame (same as we build our super stock circle track cars to) which then to graft the steel skin onto, and then new panels for floor/firewall/footwell
    the drivetrain is a domestic block (2.5L DOHC) with forged pistons and con rods, i've owned/run same setup in personal FWD cars and known can take/make much more power than the 350 planned, and proven strong 5 spd trans/clutch, but transverse instead of longitudinal
    i'm certain we can make as light, or lighter than the T2, but as robust
    remember i'm only aiming at an authentic exterior & interior look, under the hood i'm not trying to replicate that, nor fool anyone with it ...i like the team black/yellow/white scheme for the body

11. tuttavelocita

tuttavelocita Formula 3

Aug 26, 2007
    I'd want one to add as a stable mate to my current RT2, but have the clone/replica as a race car (especially with the tube chasis). I actually have a spare engine and other bits and pieces enough to almost build another car. Other than that you are still building a replica that some people might balk at and others will like. Itll be like the replica 356 and Cobra market.

12. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    #162 JeremyJon, Mar 18, 2013
    perhaps, at this point i'm just planning one for myself, and floating the idea of maybe making 1-2 per year
    my own will be the testbed, because i'm not looking to put forth anything that wasn't proved, so in that regard well tested
    for my own self, the suspension i want with at least 2 way adjustables, and the spindles/hubs/brakes are all domestic OEM items, because i want to have as much OEM service parts available, and as few custom parts (besides chassis, fglass panels) as possible, for cost and availablity reasons
    using the donor lecar, means it will have about 50% of the original steel chassis/bodywork, many interior items, plus a registration tag to work from
    the tube frame is designed to fit within the donor shell, aligned to key load points, and pickup points, but is integral to itself
    the entire idea came from my own plans worked up to build a budget clone/replica of my own, so the under $20K, so just floating the idea out there to get a sense of "if" response

edit: drop us here some pics of your T2! :)

13. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Since you are in Canada and your access too so many great cars your southern brothers do not have what is "domestic" ie make of the engine? May I assume the the engine is an iron block and will it have an updated A/C system, it gets HOT in Texas.

Other than that I say go for it brother I love the idea and if we are looking at a minimum time frame of atleast 2yrs I am onboard, in fact I'm taking a few "shillings and pence" out of each paycheck ;). I'll keep my Miata stock, well semi-stock.

You should start a build thread and post pics starting with what you have now, those are the best threads imo.

14. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    #164 JeremyJon, Mar 18, 2013
    thanks Greg
    definitely, i've been working up the parts & drawings for past year or so already, my whole plan is based on not trying to make an exact clone mechanically, but completely authentic exterior and cabin interior
    the drivetrain is indeed domestic Canada & US, iron block, forged crank, forged pistons, DOHC aluminum head, inconel exhaust valves, stainless intake valves, all OEM parts which can be bought at dealer or parts stores
    the trans is same, already used/proven in many cars for beyond the power i'm looking at, and in car nearly twice the weight
    the suspension is basically too, OEM parts, for servicability, i've got some help in the design department though from a racing builder who has the better experience and geometry program, and designed for track, but street usable, zero-toe, minimal scrub, etc.
    one of my donor lecars brought up from the US, the other from here, so i know could be sourced & good for either country, registration-wise

so that's my plan in a nut shell :)
    i just was curious to know others thoughts to such a car, and if a selling/making a few per year was of potential interest? though i wouldn't pre-sell any, i'd build one at a time then sell once completed
    thanks

15. tuttavelocita

tuttavelocita Formula 3

Aug 26, 2007

I'd love to see your build thread!! And i might be interested in a rolling chasis!! If you need any pics of a stock car let me know, im dropping my motor here soon for an overhaul once i get done working on the Lancia! (too many projects!)

16. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    once i get building then for sure, in a seperate thread though, as i said, it won't be original or recreating the R5-T chassis/drivetrain, but the exterior & interior will look/be
    thanks for the feedback guys i appreciate it & won't hijack the thread more

certainly please post some pics here for the thread! sounds like fun! :)

17. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Tater first on the list even if I have too sell my daily beater!! :D

Oh but I want a 3sgte in mine, I took a shot.

18. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    ok :) ya a mr2 drivetrain could work too!

(the drivetrain i have planned has renault corporate connection, i forgot to say before)

19. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    #169 JeremyJon, Mar 18, 2013
  20. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    very easy to find the body parts. Would be a fun project. In Europe they do it all the time to the r5 non turbos. Will it be a collector car.??NO...no clone or replica will ever go up in value, just doesn't happen. It's built for enjoyment of the builder.

21. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

that is not patrick's gtu car.

22. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    #173 JeremyJon, Mar 20, 2013
    correct, i meant to edit that actually, i still am looking to find out the current where abouts of the GTU car
    you have more to share that would help?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    a few are yes, in Europe mostly i see, many converting their T2s to look like Maxi, with bodywork and sometimes drivetrain changes ...i've seen a few FWD R5s done with the fenders + fat wheels, but not very good looking finish IMO
    finding good OEM T1/2 fenders is actually kind of tricky i've found, but can be done ...true, i'm not looking at the project idea for any sort of value other than driving pleasure ...authentic T2s and T1s are becoming harder to find in good condition, as mentioned before, many are being bought in the US and shipped to Europe, many there have been thrashed and worn right out, or modified and cut into quite a lot
    to me that means they will only rise in value more yet still, the ones like yours and pats, which are in excellent conditon
    but for a car around $20K that looks correct outside+interior, using domestic model parts that are cheap to maintain, is a winner for me, besides i'm not the kind of person who wants to try and pass it off for something it's not!

24. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    +1