Removing restrictor plate and replacing with thermostat....locked in. | FerrariChat

Removing restrictor plate and replacing with thermostat....locked in.

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by ExcelsiorZ, Mar 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Apparently 355CH had their thermostats removed and a threaded plug installed to improve coolant flow. Works well...too well as the car never reaches proper operating temperature as it runs to cool and consequently run too rich. According to the Challenge Manual, the seating hole on the water pump housing assembly is then threaded to take this plug which is then screwed into the hole. The plug looks like its steel. I've gotten a wrench on it but it seems frozen tight likely due to corrosion between the aluminum housing and steel plug. Has anyone encountered this before? The engine is in the car and I'd like to keep it that way and I don't want to break the housing using too much torque on the bolt although I've pretty much used all my strength on a nearly two foot breaker bar. Suggestions?
    1. Suggestions how to get the plug out? Or...
    2. Suggestions how to trick the ECU to thinking the car is at operating temperature?

2. thibaut

thibaut Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Thibaut A.
    Hi,
    I had the same problem and as I mostly use my 355CH on roads I had my shop re install the thermostat.
    I can’t however comment on the way they did but from what I was charged I can say it wasn’t very involved.

3. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Hello! Yes, changing the thermostat on these cars is usually a piece of cake. Do you have the contact information for the shop that did yours? Thank you!

4. thibaut

thibaut Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Thibaut A.
    They are in France. Happy to send you their details bit I am sure you can get help from the US

5. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Thank you. If you could that would be great. It's a simple operation of unscrewing a bolt....but that bolt is steel and in tight for years in liquid now locked into an aluminum housing that looks rather delicate :(

6. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills

Thank you. If you could that would be great. It's a simple operation of unscrewing a bolt....but that bolt is steel and in tight for years in liquid now locked into an aluminum housing that looks rather delicate

7. thibaut

thibaut Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Thibaut A.
    Here is there website
    http://www.zig-zag.fr/

Their phone number is at the top of the page. France being on lockdown I am not sure they are open these days

8. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Thank you!
    I actually got it out. I was being overly cautious. Finally gave in and used an electric impact gun and it promptly unscrewed the plug. Thankfully the threads were perfect with no signs of corrosion! Changed hoses while I was in there, installed a new "Fail Safe" thermostat and new temperature switches as well :)

9. thibaut

thibaut Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Thibaut A.
    On mine I changed all the petrol and coolant pipes last year. Only to have the large oil line develop a pinhole leak. By now all cars need to have new lines for everything. Obviously not buying them from ferrari at extortionate prices, just re-use the ends.

10. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Good idea! As these cars age, having fuel lines near hot manifolds eventually leads to these lines failures....then people blame the 355 for catching on fire. Go figure.