Removing Injector Lines from Injectors | FerrariChat

Removing Injector Lines from Injectors

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Gialllo uno, Apr 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gialllo uno

Gialllo uno Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I was in the process of doing some maintenance to my 87 and was replacing the injectors with a new set and it seems that the line fitting on the injector is very........uncoperative. I initially tried PB Blaster, but the way the fuel line attached it really is pretty hard to get any fluid to seep upward the way the set up is. I didnt want to break anything, so I have resisted and then I switched to a 50 / 50 mixture ATF and Acetone. It worked for me on other stuck / frozen bolts and spark plugs. Now it will stink up the garage. Any suggestions or just wait a bit longer. Here is a picture of the dilemma. Thanks in Advance Marco Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Have you tried sea foam? I don't think I needed any of it when I replaced my injectors but it's my go-to for loosening frozen nuts etc.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

3. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    That was actually what I tried 1st. They are rusty and can only imagine what they might look like inside. I am trying to be patient.....for a change, just afraid to put too much torque on them. I might try to hold the injector nut with a wrench and try to spin the actual injector. Thinking that I would be less likely to break a line that way. Maybe some Extra Virgin Olive Oil??????? I appreciate the suggestion. Thnks Marco

4. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Are you using line wrenches. Even if not, I set the open-end wrenches, one on injector and second one on the the line fitting, so they form a vee(each wrench in the direction needed to loosen or tighten, depending what you are doing) which I then squeeze together to free them or tighten them. Usually works with no issues.

Did it on both the boxer and 308.

Shamile and turbo-joe like this.
  5. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I was using an open end wrench on the injector as that is all that you can fit in and a line wrench on the fuel line nut on the top. I think I willl try to squeeze together as you suggest using the V method. I get it. Thanks Marco

turbo-joe and dwhite like this.
  6. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Hope it works, a buddy showed it to me.

7. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
  8. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Marco, I just finished removing and injectors to run a flow test and observe the spray pattern of the injectors, this is the way to do it! You don't need to worry about twisting the injector as its just held in place with a rubber o-ring on the collet which I assume you will be replacing. I added a link to an Fchat members web page with some great pics. Let us know how things go!

http://www.ferrariaustralia.com/Technical/testarossa_injector_removal.htm

9. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Are you replacing the injectors with the steel or brass replacements?

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

10. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Vincenzo, Agreed that most of the PB Blasters and WD-40s dont really do alot for nuts / bolts that are really stuck. I have heard the Kroil and the ATF / Acetone 505/50 mix are the best. I did get 2 of the six loose on the Drivers side.......maybe.......I am getting old and weak..........I think maybe a set of longer wrenches would do the trick also. I appreciate it Marco

11. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The Brass Bosch 0437502047 injector. I have new rubber O Rings for them also. I do have the cleaner set up to actually try and clean the injectors, but ran across a great deal on the new injectors awhile back, so they have been sitting around. I just had my Hip replaced so I got some time to do maintenace / upgrades etc. I think I will test the old injectors and keep a log to see when they open and spray pattern and if they leak etc. and then try and clean them and see what happens. I am a wanna be engineer!!!! Thanks Marco

12. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Great Info.......It is addictive and I apoligize for lack of good pictures like our man Shamile!!!!!

13. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    When I did mine, I had to pull the injector out first. Then used two wrenches at once. Once you pull the injector, you can use a box end on the injector. Pulling the injectors sucks because of the cir clip holding it down. You need those cir clip tools.

14. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Apply heat....but be careful

Regards Peter

15. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you also may check if possible all 12 at the same time to see if all will deliver the same amount at the same time. sometimes the pattern is ok, but not the amount

16. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Doesn't the circlip actually hold down the aluminum insert that the injector basically fits in to.? I can see the circlip on top at the outer edge I believe????

17. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I havent tried that, but agree while it is in all I can do is an open end wrench on the injector and a box end wrench on the line fitting. I am trying to have patience and could certainly not make any money professionally at this. I really do have to give it to all the priofessional mechanics here.........nothing in life is easy!!!!!!

18. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    you are right. i took those out too. was easier as my injectors were really stuck in there.

19. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I might move on to something else. I was also going to change the trans fluid and that might distrach me enough to let the mixture I sprayed on it work in a bit????? I got time but no patience. I think I need longer wrenches also so I get more leverage. Thanks for the suggestions. These are absolutely original you can see the rust on the upper body of the steel.

20. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Inspect your gear oil carefully! I found broken teeth, The car shifted and drove fine. I did a complete trans rebuild, 1st and 2nd gear was spalling, saved any further damage. Installed a Newman diff.

21. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I will do my best. Definetly will look at the oil. I have a lift and an oil catch can with a screen in it. Thanks for the advice. Marco

22. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Well I got sidetracked but managed to get the 7-9 injector lines off. Pulling the injectors..................well that is another story. Felt like I was just wasting time, so I pulled the lower intake off that holds the injectors and basically punched out the injectors for underneath. They wanted to fight me a bit, but I was able to push them out. What a bear and now I can see why the professionals get paid for what they do......,I am going to remove all other lower portions of the intake and if I can get the injector line undone while on the car I will remove the line from the distributor and remove the lower intake with the line and deal with it. I figured I need to look at the lower intake inserts to see their condition for the new injectors anyway. I do have a new set of new insert sleeves for the intake. I did run into a guy here in Baltimore at Cars and Coffee that has a small manufacuring company and offered if I ever needed a small part made to make it. I thought about getting him to price out what it would cost to manufacture the inserts where the injectors sit in the lower manifold, as I believe they are hard if not impossible to get. Any ideas if that is worth it??? Thanks Mark

23. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #23 vincenzo, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    The latest superseded injector bushings (per Ricambe) are missing the lower o-ring between the injector and the bushing. IMO, the original OEM design is better. Treat your old bushings with great care so they can be reused!

The 308 guys use an injector puller - see page 26.
    http://www.unobtaniumsupply.com/UnobtainiumSupply_Product_List.PDF

Kroil!

I have used vaseline for re-installation and it seems to work well for installation and later dissasembly as well.
    Perhaps an anti-seize might be better?? Thoughts?

Be patient - if your initial process does not seem to work, then fall back and regroup. Don’t force matters out of frustration!

Cheers,
    Vincenzo
    PS: try to pull the circlip and then the injector & bushing as a unit for further dissassembly on your workbench.

24. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Exactly correct

the ‘insert’ is a bushing that tends to stick a bit (after the circlip is pulled) because of an o-ring between the bushing and manifold. Use Kroil to help lubricate the old, hard o-ring and get the bushing to slide out of the manifold. Leave the injector in the bushing as you pull them both out as a unit.

25. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Hey Marco, you must have missed this in one of my emails to you but I have access to the injector puller Vincenzo mentioned above that I could have loaned you. Thing works like a champ.