Removing defroster cover? | FerrariChat

Removing defroster cover?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by SouthJersey400i, Aug 31, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    My upper dash ('84 400i) is in need of minor repair of the main upper dash section. A good local upholstery shop today indicated that he would be able to get the job done if he or I removed the trim piece that has the four slots for the defroster outlets. The piece is about 4" wide and goes the full width of the windshield and is covered with leather.

Can anyone tell me how to remove this piece without doing any damage to it or the surrounding pieces? Help appreciated.
    Ken

2. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Sorry Ken, I can't help on that one.

If you look in the workshop manual it probably says something like, "Open bonnet and drain all fluids. Remove engine. Above area previously occupied by rear of engine dis-connect 3 screws that hold trim in place."

3. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Oh, that is funny!!
    Ken, I could've kicked myself for not picking up the Pinin Coachwork parts manual (figured that where am I going to get spare NOS int. parts) and shortly realized after the fact that the IPB would have been a great guide on how it was assembled.
    http://www.eurospares.co.uk/index.asp
    has decent IPBs both mech. and coachwork---when looking in coachwork sec., don't be held to scrutinizing just 1983 400GT as it doesn't have much, go to 400GT. 412 section looks to be practically identical.
    I have found that the main dash top is not connected to the 'rail' ---you can actually push down on the main dash just in front of the rail and sneak wiring or whatever (if you need to take power from the fuse box to the drivers side for instance), so I don't think that they are mechanically connected. It feels like that there might be something under the main dash to captivate it, but thats it as far as I can figure. I looked at the cross rail a while back and wondered to remove it maybe the trim rimgs of the defroster vent might snap into place to captivate the rail, and the defroster boots might be hard fastened (front side of rail could have clips to further rigidity)---just tossing things around. My guess is I don't think you have to remove the rail---Certainly the biggest job is getting to the dash (console removal, binnacle, assoc. guages/sw's/wiring conn's, etc.). Keep us informed of the work arounds.

4. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave

Well crap, I've got one.......let me look at it in the morning and I'll post what I see.

5. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Parts book doesn't help with figuring out how to take it off. sorry.

6. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Dave
    Thanks for looking in the book. Do you see any clips to hold it? If so, how many and approx. location. It there is a disassembled view of the parts, can you scan it an email me a copy of that page?

I looked at it this evening. and the rail and the defroster vents are not connected at all. The trim around the vents is part of the rail. It seems quite secure at the far left and right side but not tightly secure most of the rest of the way. I am hoping there are just some large trim clips like the door panels are held on with but I don't want to find out the hard way.

I agree with the poster that said you can get the dash top out without removing the rail. My upholstery shop says he does not need to take the dash out to work on the dash. He needs the rail out to have room to work at the front of the dash and stretch the leather so it extends under the rail again. At the same time he will recover the rail that is a bit toasted.

I'll try looking up from the floor on the driver's side next to see what I can see. In the engine bay under the cowl all there are are 4-5 self-tapers from inside the car into the engine bay; they are likely holding the defroster vents or just some wiring inside.
    Ken

7. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Sure Ken no problem.
    You mind waiting a bit? I'm still at the winery and the book is at home. I'll try to get it to you tonight or in the morning.

8. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #8 dstacy, Sep 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Dave
    Thanks for the exploded views. Normally you can learn more from them than the maintenance manual; not in this case! It's magic. No screws, no bolts, no clips and it all stays together!

I had a good look from underside this morning and there are no bolts or screws to be found even on driver's side where you can see just below the defroster vents but even they are not visible. There is some kind of 'false floor' below the defroster ducts. So this leaves the only possibility that the defroster rail is held in by normal panel clips. I believe they are between and to the sides of the 4 vents and they are likely to be metal or stout plastic as I have already applied a good deal of pressure on them.

Next step is to get a good set of panel removing tools.
    Ken

10. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Ken,
    As I remember, you have to remove the entire dash to get that piece out. It's held in by three brackets that form a pocket for the main dash to slide into.
    The problem is compounded by the main dash being "pinned" in place by the upper part of the center console.
    So, in typical Italian design you start at the back seat and remove everything forward until you get to the top trim piece.
    Sorry.

11. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    I think it lifts off without removing anything else. It has been a very long time since I did this. Be warned it is a very thin piece of fiberglass covered in leather and a crack will telegraph it's presence through the covering. Ask me how I know.

12. pks41805

pks41805 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2007
    Colorado Springs, Co
    Full Name:
    Paul Sloan
    Mr Stacy, thanks for all your treads of wisdom and help. Your insight will help me with my 400i. I just hope you do not mind silly questions?

13. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    jessh! Don't call me mister, just call me what my wife calls me.....well, uh, nevermind I don't think Rob allows that kind of stuff on here. :D

My pleasure, I'm not the only guy here who can answer your questions about these beasts. Ask away; we'll help where we can.

14. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Ross
    Do you have any recommended tool for "lifting" the piece? There appears to be 4 or 5 attachment points between each defroster nozzle.

I've had the car away for a long weekend and will get back to this this weekend.
    Ken

15. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Do not try to pry the upper piece off. You must remove the entire dash to get it out.

16. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Mark
    The front of the dash seems quite unattached as I can push it down a half inch or so. Let's say I have the dash off, is the defroster piece bolted to the chassis? It clearly is not attached to the dash as it is moving while the defroster rail is rigid. Are you removing the dash just to get access to some hidden bolts?
    Ken

17. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Ken, the upper most part that has the defroster holes in it is attached by three metal clips that connect to it near its middle (front to back). These clips jog down about a half inch and then turn aft and are bolted to the car. The large lower dash floats in the pocket created by the clips. So, you have to remove the large dash to get to the three bolts that hold down the clips. If you want to, you can remove the round plug cover in the engine compartment near the fire wall and you can feel the middle bolt.
    Wish I had pics, sorry.

18. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Mark
    Good explanation and it makes sense with what I see and feel. I will look for that center plug this weekend just to convince myself not to start prying!

I will just tell my upholstery shop to do the job without removing the defroster piece. He said it was possible but more time consuming.
    Thanks for your help.
    Ken

19. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    No. I misread your post. The peice I was referring to is the long strip up near the windshield. Sorry.

20. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Ross
    I think I am talking about the same piece. It is about 4" wide with slots for the defroster vents. I don't think there is anything else between this piece and the windshield.
    Ken

21. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Yes, the wide piece then, not the binnacle with the four swiveling vents. That's what I originally thought.
    I've had mine off but was not the first to do so, hence my comment about breaking it. My recollection is that it is held only by some clips, I'm positive I didn't do any major disassembly. It had been previously removed to run wires for a radar detector by the original owner. No gaurantee he or his installer put it back correctly.
    Sorry not to be much help. If I get to the car anytime soon I'll make it a point to have another look.

22. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Ken
    As an 84', is your 400 a series II with the rectangular vent in the console above the gauges or a series I with the four round vents on the top of the dash?

23. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Mark
    I have the slotted vents not the round ones, so I think that makes her a Series II.
    Ken

24. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    S1 vs S2 is easy.

S1 has cable controls on the center console while a S2 has the electronic controls

25. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    My S2 has cable controls. I think the electronic stuff came in the 412.