Removing and Replacing Water Pump Seal | FerrariChat

Removing and Replacing Water Pump Seal

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by lkstaack, May 1, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lkstaack

lkstaack Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Has anyone ever replaced the Water Pump Seal in the water pump of their F355, 360, 550, 575, or 612? Do you have to press out the bearing/shaft?

I purchase a seal as part of a Ricambi water pump kit. I'm glad I did because the rubber on the existing seal was deteriorating (there's signs of corrosion throughout the pump). However, I'm now at a loss on how to remove the old seal. Any help would be appreciated.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. lkstaack

lkstaack Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Thank you, fatbillybob. So, it seems that I must remove the bearing/shaft in order to press out the impeller seal, correct? Can I tap that out with a socket and hammer, or must I use a press (that I don't have)?

3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    For 350 dollars would it make sense to buy the whole front assembly (aftermarket) ..

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

4. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    On vintage V-12s the water pump is driven by the timing chain, not a pulley and belt. So to install a new seal, the shaft remains in place. The old seal has to be removed by prying it out around the shaft. The seal does not rotare, so it is a loose fit around the shaft. First try grabing the old seal with a pliers and rotate it back and forth to see if will break loose. If not, use a pointed tool around the edge of the seal to pry it upward. The old seal will be damaged, but the damge will allow you get a better grip on it to pry it out. I've done this and it takes time and patience, but it can be done. If it doesn't work, you can always remove the bearing and shaft as described above. When installing the new seal, put a light coating of clear silicon around the outer edge to prevent any leaks.

5. lkstaack

lkstaack Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Lars
    I see that Ricambi sells an aftermarket water pump. I can't find any mention of it's reliability. Does anyone know?

6. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    There is a member here who just replaced it ..maybe send him a PM

Tonino CT

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

7. lkstaack

lkstaack Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Lars
    #8 lkstaack, May 2, 2021
    Last edited: May 2, 2021
    Well, I'm curious as to how it holds up 5-10 years down the road. Do you have any idea how long aftermarket units have been around? I wonder if they are more or less robust than stock.

I notice that Ricambi and other parts sources are no longer offering stock clamps for the heat exchanger, just regular worm gear. I recall reading a 10 year old post from a Ferrari tech not to use worm gear clamps. So, now I'm wondering if I should use the old clamps.

Sent from my SM-G781U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. dersark_painclinic

dersark_painclinic Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    I tried and tried to remove the seal without removing the bearing and did not work for me, you may damage the bearing shaft and cause more leak issues than any good. so press out the shaft and seal together and use pully to remove the seal. recommendation heath up to 200 degree to remove and place the bearing.
    Good luck

lkstaack likes this.