Removal of dash cover | FerrariChat

Removal of dash cover

Discussion in '308/328' started by rjd2, Apr 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rjd2

rjd2 Karting

Jul 28, 2016
    Hey folks, I don't need to remove my entire dash, but I do want to remove the dash vinyl covering to wash it and possibly re-dye it. Is this as much of a nightmare as it appears, or is there a way to do this without pulling the windshield? thanks for any tips!

2. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Some say you can do it without removing the windshield but there is a piece of trim that holds the front of the dash panel and covering down. It's riveted in to the actual metal dash box under the cover but not through the cover. I took out the windshield and ended up needing a new one. If you do try to do the windshield try to find a place that has done a 308 before. And be very careful with the little trim around the outside, it may not be available any more and will be spendy if it is.

You can see the holes across the bottom in this pic where the trim is riveted into the dash box....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

I can see being able to pull the whole dash out from under the trim piece but it would be a pain to get it back under the trim on the way back in.

3. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    [​IMG]
    Ultimate PedalsKarting
    Full Name:
    Rob Baylor
    Here is a summary of how I removed my dash.

1) remove two screws on each side of dashboard(open doors to reveal screw heads, one above the other, phillips head screws)
    2) remove radio
    3) dislocate relay board next to fuse blocks to access lower dash securing screw (phillips head) from the passenger side
    4) remove instrument cluster (pull out four warning lights in each corner of cluster to access moutning screws, phillips head screws)
    5) disconnect instrument cluster wiring harness (three connectors below instrument cluster)
    6) remove instrument cluster top cover (four mounting screws easy to remove after removing dashboard, 10mm wrench)
    7) disconnect instrument cluster dimmer harness
    8) remove horn button and steering wheel from steering wheel adapter (six flat head socket cap screws)
    9) remove steering wheel adapter (this requires a 38mm ring nut socket and a three jaw puller)
    10) remove turn signal cluster housing (securing screw located at lower right hand corner of housing, ~5 oclock position)
    11) disconnect turn signal wiring harness (two connectors next to steering column)
    12) gently pull dashboard toward you and slightly down to clear windshield side pillar trim pieces
    13) after dash is free you will have to lift it up and over the steering column

(please forgive me if I have left anything out)

(see attached images for photo of a home made 38mm ring nut socket from an old 12 point 1.25" socket wrench and a Dremel tool)

Like most disassembly projects I would stress not rushing or forcing anything.

If something is stuck figure out why, don't use brute force instead of your brain.

I have installed and removed the dash several times to check/confirm the vent seal design.

On my car there is no clearance issue with the trim piece or the windshield.

I REPEAT, IT IS VERY EASY TO REMOVE AND INSTALL THE DASH!!

Again, I can not vouch for earlier or later cars.

Rob
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    I used the procedure above to remove the dash in my 85QV this winter and had it redone. Only semi-tough part was finding the correct socket to remove the nut on the steering wheel. Turns out I have two of them. (One given to me by the previous owner )If you send me a PM with your address I will send one of them your way no charge. The whole process was quite easy.

5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    It depends on the car. Early GTB’s require glass removal while all others allow for the removal of the dash with the glass in place.

308 milano likes this.
  6. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    As a data point: I took the dash out of my '78 gtb without removing the windshield. No issues.

308 milano and waymar like this.
  7. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Ditto.

Design Dave and waymar like this.
  8. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    just a heads up. I watched this video and tried to remove my dash without removing the turn signal /wiper stock assembly and wasn’t able to do it. Actually damaged my dash around the steering column. I ordered the special socket to remove the nut off the steering column. Wiper/ turn signal assembly just slides off and hangs under the dash. Thank goodness the crew in Los Angeles that I sent my dash to have recovered was able to fix it. (Might work for others but didn’t work for my QV)

waymar likes this.
  9. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Mine is a GTBi. Not sure if they changed the setup on the column with the QV.

308 milano likes this.
  10. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    My issue was it wouldn't come out, I pulled hard enough to hear the fiberglass cracking. But I also didn't find anything on here at the time saying it could come out without taking the glass out.

So how did you all get it back in under the trim piece. That seems like it'd be the tough part of it to me.

11. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    John,
    Do you have a close up of the trip piece?
    Jon

12. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I probably do somewhere. Mine was a '78 GTS and there was an aluminum trim piece at the bottom of the windshield that held down the front of the dash pad. You can see all the rivet holes in the pic I posted above running right along that edge. On mine anyway it really held the dash down well. BUT, the rivets didn't go through the dash pad so it could be done I suppose.

I'll see if I can dig up an ancient pic, pretty sure I took one of that piece.

13. Design Dave

Design Dave Rookie

Jul 24, 2020
    Uk
    Full Name:
    Dave slocombe
    Anyone removed a 76 GTB dash? I want to retrim mine. Same procedure as above?

14. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I forgot to look for a pic but here it is in the parts diagram. Pc2 is it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    I used pieces of thin plastic strapping to guide the dash back under that trim and then pulled the pieces out carefully when it was under.

16. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Great idea!! Where were you with that idea ~10 years ago. ;) Coulda saved me a couple grand for new glass and trim. :) My problem was I couldn't get the thing out and I didn't want to break the whole pad into pieces. So I took the, what ended up being more expensive, but to me at that, time logical approach.

The sad part was I was probably more than 3/4 of the way around the glass pulling the trim without breaking it. Just that last little bit is where it broke.

I'll also say it gave me a chance to get into the corners under the glass and clean up a little rust that was in there. It was a learning experience.

17. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    John,
    Where are you at this point? Did you get the dash back in?

18. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Me or another John? Mine was done years ago and the car sold about 6 years back. It's over in the UK somewhere last I heard. I just still lurk here seeing what's up mostly. :)

19. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Ah. Wasn't sure if you needed help putting it back in.