Remembering Raymond Loewy: | FerrariChat

Remembering Raymond Loewy:

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by Gatorrari, Nov 5, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #1 Gatorrari, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Today is the 120th birthday of the famous French industrial designer Raymond Loewy, whose creations (with his design team) included the Coke bottle, Coldspot refrigerator, locomotives for the Pennsylvania RR (and others), some well-known corporate logos (including Exxon) and some iconic cars for Studebaker, including the beautiful 1953 Starliner and the Avanti.

You may have seen today's "doodle" on Google, which paid tribute to the great man. But I had an interesting encounter just this past Sunday morning in Atlanta.

One of the cars at the monthly Caffeine & Octane show was a 1975 Avanti II, a car that is fairly rare but not really highly valuable - except this one! I was stunned to see the bill of sale on the window - this had been the personal car of Mr. Loewy himself, and the current owner is his son-in-law, David Hagerman, who lives here in Atlanta.

Mr. Hagerman is in the process of setting up the Raymond Loewy Museum of Industrial Design in or near Irvine, CA, which should be open in a few years, and which will have examples of many creations of Mr. Loewy and his associates, including cars and perhaps one of the Pennsylvania RR's iconic GG-1 electric locomotives. The website for the museum is The Raymond Loewy Museum of Industrial Design, and I, for one, fully intend to visit when it is up and running.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  3. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    #3 tritone, Nov 6, 2013
  4. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Even Raymond Loewy could have a bad day....

5. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    One website author even says Loewy had something to do with designing a Ferrari in’54--the Europa--but I have yet to research that. The same source claims the
    principal designer on that car was John Cuccio, working with Orval Selders under the overall direction of Mr. Loewy. The one-off body was to be built by Boano.
    the source, which I failed to make note of, says Pinin Farina heard about it and complained so Ferrari withdrew the order and the body, which was already built, was adapted to the XK140 which subsequently burned while being painted at Barris' shop when it was already owned by a famous boxer.

I can't envision this jag body on a Ferrari but the political intrigues of the story are interesting...any comments out there?

6. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I know Orval from his days at GM.
    Contact him on Facebook for more info.

7. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Raymond Loewy is one of my (few) heroes; thanks for the news about the museum - an addition to my bucket list.

8. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Big Loewy fan myself - the number of corporate logos attributed to him is fascinating and incredible.

9. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    #9 ArtS, Apr 19, 2016
  10. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

That plus later in life, they had many of the panels removed to simplify maintenence.

This is one of my favorite threads.

As a kid I thought the Studebakers were fantastic... Starlight coupe, Golden Hawk, Avanti.

11. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    it's in the Petersen. I guess it really belongs to the Natural History Museum . Did he do that hoping BMW would put it into production? Is it really a one-owner car (if you don't count the Museum). is it a significant enough car that, now that 507 cars are worth a million, some future owner could make out financially by ditching the Loewy design?

12. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    "Daunting" doesn't come close to the adjective for this project, but a group has been formed with the goal of building a new T1. A link to their website is below. You do know that UP is resurrecting Big Boy 4014? Imagine a double header of 4014 and Challenger 3985! (Sorry for the high jack.)

https://prrt1steamlocomotivetrust.org/

13. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004