Relay mod for slow window, works great | FerrariChat

Relay mod for slow window, works great

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by c4b4the04, Jul 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    Thought I’d shout out some love to the folks that wrote this up.

As a new TR owner I’ve had my hands full. Belt service took almost 40 hours total time. I also had a stuck cassette in the Euro Blaupunkt player. Fixed but cassette isn’t functional thanks to a knucklehead that yanked a tape out with pliers 20 years ago. Finally a slow/ inop window. I figured it was voltage drop.

Pulling the door panel couldn’t be easier on our cars. Once off I used a 12 volt battery to run the motor and be sure it was fully functional (grease was fine, once it had voltage it went easily).

I used a few different posts from around the web to wire in two heavy duty relays. Ran a dedicated 12 volt 12 gauge with a 30 amp fuse from the battery to the driver door. The hardest part was fishing the wire through the existing door loom. Took about 2 hours to make that 14 inch journey. Used mechanics wire and fished it through a small slit in the wiring loom. It is all covered by the accordion rubber door grommet. Once inside the door, plenty of space at the front bottom edge of the door for the relays.

It’s as fast as a modern car now AND doesn’t tax the electrical system. I didn’t think to take a single pic. I’ll record the passenger side when I get a chance to do that one.

Love this forum. I’ll get my belt swap details written up soon. Not a bad job, just lots to learn the first time.

Cassidy

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

raysur, turbo-joe and kartboy1234 like this.
  2. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Glad to head you're getting stuff sorted out! Pics please, we all appreciate any how-to’s or advice along the way of your experiences

c4b4the04 likes this.
  3. 1TRICK6

1TRICK6 Karting

Aug 28, 2014
    So. Cal (L.A./O.C.)
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Gotta do my windows one day, driver's side starting to crawl up even when I give it some rpm's. My luck it will be dried up grease and not the lack of voltage but I'll give it a try first. Will wait for your post on the other window.

c4b4the04 likes this.
  4. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    Good write up. How many seconds would you estimate that it now takes your windows to go up and to go down?

c4b4the04 likes this.
  5. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    I'd say 3-4 seconds down and maybe 4 seconds up? I'll record it when I do the other side. I'm just glad it works!

Now if I can just figure out why it keeps running on 6 cylinders....fine yesterday and today on 6. Spark from the coil wire....hmmm...

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    Good to hear. When my car first arrived on the truck the battery was dead. After a jumpstart it took almost a minute for the window to go up or down!
    I was really bummed because the previous owner had put some type a window accelerater on it so I didn’t think I’d have that window speed issue.
    It turns out it was simply a battery issue. Now when the car is fully charged it only takes about 10 or 12 seconds to go up or down.
    Still not perfect, but definitely tolerable