Relatively New Timing Belt Material? | FerrariChat

Relatively New Timing Belt Material?

Discussion in '348/355' started by pnicholasen, Feb 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    This may have already been brought up, in which case I apologize. So I was mindlessly watching a YouTube video on timing belts vs timing chains when it was mentioned there is a newer and (apparently) far superior material for contructing timing belts. Yes, there have been improvements in the fibers used, like Kevlar, but the black stuff around the fibers has routinely been some sort of rubber/neoprene mix that deteriorates with heat, oil and gas exposure. Now there is HSN or Highly Saturated Nitrile which can supposedly leap tall buildings in a single bound. Sounds like it's been around for 10 or 15 years. Any materials engineers out there who know this stuff? Anyone know if any companies are manufacturing replacement belts for Ferraris using this? The big question is obviously if we can get HSN belts and use the Hill Engineering bearings can we extend the belt service interval significantly???

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2. Joshman0531

Joshman0531 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2012
    Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Joshua Seidenberg
    Just curious, what is your belt routine interval? I have had my car for 6+ years. I did a full major on it the day it was delivered and last May [5/01/2020]. She runs like a scolded dog. ;)

3. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    About 5 years. I used the Hill Engineering bearings the last time I did the belt change. I had gotten the impression from this forum that the reason for the relatively frequent belt service recommendation was the iffy quality OEM belt tensioner bearings and the belt itself. Seems if we can improve both, the maintenance could be safely reduced.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OCKlasse likes this.