Registration Question | FerrariChat

Registration Question

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by TRCo, Apr 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TRCo

TRCo Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2012
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Hi All,

Can anyone help with the rules around where you can register your car? I live in Arapahoe County but also have a place in Summit County. What would it take to register a car up there?

Thanks

2. Joshman0531

Joshman0531 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2012
    Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Joshua Seidenberg
    I would register it in Summit if I could. No emissions testing. It's all on the state's site.

3. macadoo

macadoo Karting

Jun 17, 2006
    Colorado
    I'd like to hear if you figure out a way to do this. I think the registration is based upon the owner's legal address, so you would probably somehow need to prove that your primary home is in Summit.

4. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    This 100%

5. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    Its super easy, I have a Garage in the springs, all it takes is a valid lease and you can register a car in el paso county, NO emmisions, NO bullcrap, walk out with plates.

6. TRCo

TRCo Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2012
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I will give it a go tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

7. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    welp, how did it go?

8. TRCo

TRCo Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2012
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Easy! One of my concerns was that the post office doesn't deliver to my place in Dillon i.e. while i have a physical presence there i can only get mail here in Arapahoe County (i contemplated a PO Box). However all they asked was whether I intended to keep the vehicle in Summit County - they were fine using my address down here for mailing the title.

9. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    Good deal!!! Congrats

10. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    We have the same situation in Basalt so the post office gives us a free po box. Thats what we use for the cars as taxes are much less in Eagle vs Pitkin. You get two copies of the registration. One has an address and one doesnt. They suggested we carry the one with no address the car. They will mail your ticket to the address on your license. They do not really care as long as you get your mail there.

BTW we keep our cars part time in Eagle and part time in Pitkin.

Hope this helps. Do Not think you will have a problem. Best

11. macadoo

macadoo Karting

Jun 17, 2006
    Colorado
    Thanks guys. I didn't realize it would be that easy. Unfortunately, in my situation it won't be worth it. I assumed sales tax in Steamboat had to be less than Littleton's 7.25%, but I was wrong. 8.65% up there. Ouch. The dollars add up when looking at a big purchase.

12. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Buy it in Littleton and move it to Steamboat at renewal. Thats what i did. No problem.

13. Joshman0531

Joshman0531 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2012
    Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Joshua Seidenberg
    It's also not worth mucking around with the stupid state emission crap. I am sure the difference in % adds up but there is also the PITA factor every 2 years and the clowns that climb your car trying to figure out how to emissions test it. Register it in Steamboat.

14. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Exactly. When we lived in Evergreen (Jefferson County) we had an M3 and a 360 spider. Took the M3 in first. It passed but i mistakenly gave them the Fcar Form. They did not catch it. So i had to take the M3 in again but went to a different testing location. It passed but the numbers were completely different.

My opinion is that this program is a joke. Just raising money for the government and making people think that they are doing something.

Pitkin County did away with the program because there was no evidence that there was any impact on air quality after several years. They kept charging the $25 fee but made it for some other lame program.

I get my plates in Eagle county. It's cheaper. Lol

15. TRCo

TRCo Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2012
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Have to admit emissions was the original motivator. My TR passed easily (clearly the test stations are told to do very little with exotics i.e. no rolling road tests) but i wanted to get an ancient truck registered and feared the potential hassle of getting it through. Now i know the process the TR might become a summit county car too...!

16. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    #16 JasonMiller, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Back in 2011 I lived in Brighton, I had a 1989 Lotus and a 1984 Lotus, and a 65 vw kit car. I moved from Pennsylvania and had all cars registered there.

Once I arrived in Colorado I spent approx 6 months trying to pass the 89 Lotus for smog, then I got flack for the non stock exhaust, the missing muffler, the blacked out rear window, and on and on.

I gave up, then I started with the 65 VW kit car, no windshield, no seat belts, I tried to go the collector route, different testing stations had different outcomes, I gave up.

I didnt even bother with the 84 Lotus, or other "project cars"

I purchased a small Garage in Colorado Springs to store and work on my cars, I needed something from the DMV and stopped in El Paso County and was informed I could register my cars in El Paso County as I had a garage here.

It was amazingly simple, Bring in title and proof of insurance if I am driving the car, pay the fee and walk out with plates, in one day I registered all my cars, even projects that wouldn't even roll. No inspection, NO hassle. They didn't even ask for proof that I owned the property.

So over the years I have had friends in the Denver area with cars that for whatever reason get hassled during inspection, If i lease them space in my Garage for say $100.00 per year they can use the lease to register their cars. The registration goes to the garage address but that's fine as I just forward it on. This is not illegal as the lease is valid and gives the Lessee the rights to the Garage for their car.

I have since moved from Denver to Monument and would have no problem with the inspection process if it made a bit of sense, but it doesn't, a diesel needs no inspection? But a car that gets driven maybe 1000 miles a year does? Makes me mad!

I love my little garage, some pics
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Must be cheaper than a PO BOX and you are doing the mail. Moral: govt programs are nonsense. Nice 348. Thanks for posting.

Best

18. Dogdish

Dogdish Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2005
    Denver
    Jason,

What is the Dark Red Open Wheeler on the left? #16?

Looks like a lot of fun.

Bill

19. Hotzos

Hotzos Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2004
    Parker, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Gomez
    i finally got collector plates on the 308 (1983s qualify this year) -- so i should be good for 5 years. My car so far has passed every couple years with a little tuning. It has free flow cats that seem to work fine.