Registering a euro car in CA from out of state | FerrariChat

Registering a euro car in CA from out of state

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by robertgarven, Feb 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    All,

A question,

I am trying to find information on registering a euro car bought out of state. It spent most its life in CA, however I looked at the DMV website and said the car could not be registered unless it had a 50 state emission plate. Does that apply to early cars? This is a 1974? The DMV website seems pretty cut and dry and says no emission plate no exemption unless a very few that dont apply to a regular sale. Just cause they are smog exempt does not mean they are can be registered?

Thanks for any advice hoping someone here has the info I need

Buying a Vehicle From Out of State - Can You Register it in California? FFVR 29

Rob

2. teej

teej Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2009
    Pacific Palisades
    if its a 1974 and registered in another state you won't have any issues. You'll have to take the car to the dmv or your chp/sherrif office for a cursory inspection (verify vin number, etc., no smog).

3. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Even if its a EURO car???? From the DMV site:

Exemptions

There are a few exemptions to the law. As a California resident, you may be able to register a 49-state vehicle if it was:

Obtained as part of a divorce, inheritance, or legal separation settlement.
    Purchased to replace your California-registered vehicle that was stolen while you were using the vehicle out-of-state.
    Purchased to replace your California-registered vehicle that was destroyed or made inoperative beyond reasonable repair while you were using the vehicle out of state.
    An emergency vehicle, pursuant to California Vehicle Code § §27156.2 and 27156.3.
    Registered by you in the state of your last active military service outside California.
    A street motorcycle or motor-driven cycle year model 2005 and older, with an engine less than 50 cubic centimeters (cc) displacement. Beginning January 1, 2006, street motorcycles and motor-driven cycles year model 2006 and newer, with engines less than 50 cc displacement, require an emission label certifying them to meet U.S. Environmental Protection Agency emission regulations, and may be registered regardless of mileage.

4. teej

teej Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2009
    Pacific Palisades
    I've been combing through it as well as I purchased a car in europe that will be here soon and I've been trying to figure out what I'll run into at the DMV. I don't think the dmv website explains the pre 1975 exemption well at all.

From what I understand, pre 1975 and if its registered in another state, then the process is pretty normal

pre 1975 and never registered in the US, odds are the process should be normal but even the dmv person may get confused with the rules. You need to show DOT and EPA papers. Technically a 68 through 1975 car still needs to go through the CARB process but I've heard from other importers that CARB won't be needed.

1975 and up, the content you are referring to applies. Some "49 state" cars can never be road registered in California. Others can be if you go through the CARB process.

the above is how i've come to understand the rules. I would just take the other state title / reg and your forms and not mention "euro"

5. glenv6

glenv6 Formula 3

Jul 4, 2011
    New York
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I am looking forward to seeing a definitive answer to this question. My hunch is you're going to get lucky with a model year '75 and earlier. I have been looking into California DMV rules a bit since I bought a house out there last year and I am very close to concluding that I will not bring my '85 QV Euro to California with me if I end up moving there...

6. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    Register it in Montana for a few years first.

7. R5Turbo2

R5Turbo2 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Sep 14, 2014
    That will get you rolled by any CHP.

8. R5Turbo2

R5Turbo2 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Sep 14, 2014

FVMSS goes back to 1966 I got flagged for a 1967 Alfa GTV to go to a smog test. Pm me.

9. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

You said the car spent most it's life in CA so was it previously registered here? If so, that will set a precedent and help with reregistration. If no, then I think this will be a hassle regardless of age.

10. 575 Maranello

575 Maranello Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2013
    So Cal
    If it has a California BAR sticker you are good to go. Check the door jamb for this silver sticker with the calif seal on it.

11. skullyspice

skullyspice Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2013
    L A
    Full Name:
    erik
    the bigger question is Rob are you buying a 74 Euro Dino?!!

12. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Friends,

I have a buddy who worked for BAR advising me and I am not at all satisfied that once the car left the state, it may not be let back in without the BAR sticker. Any car tat is registered and stays in CA is essentially grandfathered in any car returning is at the mercy of the DMV which requires the car to meet US & CA emission standards..

pretty bummed and would like to hear anyone else who may know more about this...

Rob

13. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    My guess that pre 1975 you should be OK with regards to smog and BAR/CARB cluster$%!# which relates to the State issues. That is the end all date for all concerns related to emissions. Federalization of the car still needs to have been done and can be supported with EPA/DOT paperwork. Should be doable but a real PITA. Good Luck

14. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    If you have a CA title just go register it at AAA not DMV

15. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    CA has rules for out of state cars and have to have at least 3 forms filled out one certifying the car has CA emission sticker on it. Even though this car once in CA it has out of state title. I am not sure my candidate will pass the first form no emission sticker, no bar sticker no US identification plate.

How To Register A Vehicle from Out-of-State (Nonresident Vehicle)

16. R5Turbo2

R5Turbo2 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Sep 14, 2014
    It dont work like that anymore. Thanks to some people who really mucked it up for the rest of us. DMV graymarket division has vin#'s and info on this.

17. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    What do you mean by flagged to go to a smog test? By whom? What happened at the test?

18. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I think you're right. You'd have to make all the mods to make it identical to a US car and then you STILL might not pass the actual exhaust emissions test. Better to leave it as Ferrari intended and get a US car if you want one.

19. teej

teej Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2009
    Pacific Palisades
    My experience on several pre 75 cars brought into california is that the dmv inspection process and form (the one that has a section for "US federalization certification lable status") is barely addressed because of the cars age. I recently brought a modern car into state and the inspection was a little more involved looking for all the stickers, but with the old cars all they seem to do is check that the vin number on the car matches what you have on the application and verify the odometer reading. They look at the engine (but I have no idea what they actually look at) and then sign off the form and you can go get registered.

20. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    Stop worrying !

21. R5Turbo2

R5Turbo2 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Sep 14, 2014
    why.

22. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I'd just go to AAA with title and attempt to register it saying that it was previously in CA. They may just be able to give you the new title and registration with little fanfare especially since smog isn't an issue. If that doesn't work leave and go back to the drawing board.

23. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    This would be avery expensive drawing board for me.....

24. teej

teej Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2009
    Pacific Palisades
    why don't you post what the car is, maybe there are others with the same car and went through bringing it into CA and can give you more confidence

25. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Really?

My 1956 Porsche 356 is from Connecticut. No inspections of any kind required, because the car had no smog equipment. The dealer just took the title to the local DMV and they issued one in my name.

I didn't think anything prior to 1975(6?) ever needed a smog test here.