Refitting 400 engine and auto box - advice needed please | FerrariChat

Refitting 400 engine and auto box - advice needed please

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by simonc, Jul 10, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    I have rebuilt my 400 engine and auto box and it is now ready to go back in the car. I have a crane and can jack the car up on stands but what I need to know is what is the best way to fit it - auto box first then the engine or as a complete engine/trans unit?

Simon

2. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Simon, we've done it both ways! seperate was slightly quicker (inculding all the messing around fitting the box) either way I hope you've got a load tilter/leveler thingy for your engine hoist

3. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    Thanks Andrew. I do have the load leveller.

When you did it as seperate units did you put the box in first and then slide the engine onto it?

Also I don't suppose you would know roughly what the complete unit weighs, and what the seperate items weigh. I have a Machine Mart 1,000kg crane but in reaity this has four stages and can lift betwen 250-1,000kgdepending upon length & height. I've looked at local hire shopes and they all seem to only do the same size crane. When I took the engine out the heads were off it and I took the box out afterwards. I'll have two or three mates around to help when I refit teh units but I am not sure this crane is big enough.

Simon

4. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Simon

We've got the same hoist in the workshop :)

last time we did it from the top, the box was in first but loose, allowing the engine to slide into it but still allowing us to jiggle it all about......however next time it's going to be engine in first push the thing onto a lift and bring the box up from underneath

Take it you've rebuilt everything to your usual conkers standard?

5. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    Everything has been rebuilt - started off as a valve seal job (engine in the car and using compressed air to hold the valves up), found a bent valve and ended up as a full rebuild of engine and box.

I thnik I'll put the box in first (loose) and then the engine. This is virtually the way it came out. Now if only I had a lift, mmm............

I've taken pictures throughout and will put them up once it is all back together. Thanks again.