Refinishing Carbon Fiber | FerrariChat

Refinishing Carbon Fiber

Discussion in '612/599' started by Skidkid, Sep 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I don't have any issue at this point but I can see the potential for scratches in the CF door panels or center console as well as sun damage to the CF dash. I know a little but no real world experience so I thought I would ping this group.

Can CF be refinished? If so is it as simple as sanding and spraying new clear? And yes I know, "Simple" is a relative term given the need to sand very evenly on curved surfaces. Have you guys used anyone to do that kind of work and if so, who?

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    David from exotic car from here does great work ..I believe he is a sponsor as well

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

3. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I have had it done before due to yellowing. A body shop carefully sanded the CF and sprayed a clear over it. It’s tricky because if you sand too far and you hit fibers, the part is ruined.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Thanks guys. I assumed that was correct but really didn't know.

5. meandmyredcorvette

meandmyredcorvette Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I know that this sounds like the old fashion way but one solution that has worked for me depending on the issue is to use a permanent black marker and draw the square pattern in any area where the CF square pattern has been damaged. It does make a big difference in most cases. At least enough for me to live with without having repairs made. When there is a scratch I use the marker on the scratch and immediately wipe the excess off with my finger to help blend it in the scratch and not be as noticeable. When it comes to drawing the squares I do not wipe the squares I draw.

6. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Good idea and it probably helps a lot. Plus, when you eventually refinish it will be sanded anyway so it really only helps hide it for now. In my case, there isn't an issue right now but I can see how it will get dings so I was just asking.

7. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Hmmm....Maybe I'll purchase some damaged pieces, John and start playing around :)

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I have purchased pieces off wrecked cars and had them refinished by my local paint shop. Fine sanding and clear coating cures most ills.