Red Bull F1 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Red Bull F1

Discussion in 'F1' started by NEP, Apr 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    F1 no longer uses "engines"...they use "power units" that rely more on electricity than gasoline.

2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Different technologies involved. F1 is hybrid, Indy isn't.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  3. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales

As some of the fellow FChatters responded I would like to add:

Indycar involves an ICE unit.

F1 currently involves an ICE unit and 2 motor generating units (one from the rear axle under braking (K-kinetic) and one from the turbo (H-heat). Both MGU's charge up batteries and the system deploys KW into HP. One system (K) is limited due to braking while the other (H) is constant.

The hybrid costs millions to make and even more if you throw in R&D.

stavura, 375+ and william like this.
  4. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    It’s R&D that benefits the auto manufacturers, and is therefore, a smart investment. A Prius harvests kinetic energy when the brakes are applied above ten mph. It’s not wasted knowledge...it’s a clear path to making existing road technologies even better.

5. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Renault hits back at Red Bull fury

AUGUST 1, 2018

Any niceties between Red Bull and Renault are now in the past.

The two parties are splitting at the end of the year, with Red Bull moving to works Honda power.

But tempers are fraying, as team boss Christian Horner and driver Max Verstappen unloaded fury on Renault following another technical problem in Hungary.

"I'll leave it to Cyril to give the excuses," Speed Week quotes Horner as saying.

But Cyril Abiteboul, the Renault team boss, did not hit back with an excuse, but rather a message of resignation about the fading Red Bull partnership.

"We haven't read what Christian Horner says about us since 2015," said the Frenchman.

"It's very clear that we have nothing to do with them anymore," he added.

"They have a new engine partner who pays a lot of money to get their product on board, and I wish them good luck. That's all I have to say," Abiteboul said.

As for Horner's complaints about the MGU-K unit, however, Abiteboul insists Red Bull has some blame as well.

"We switched to an improved MGU-K in Monaco," he revealed. "Red Bull does not use them because the installation of the car is different.

"But with the new MGU-K we have the temperatures much better under control and there were no problems in our cars. But we cannot force Red Bull to use it."

6. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Daniel Ricciardo has set a new deadline for confirming his contract extension with the Red Bull Formula 1 team after initially expecting to sign before the summer break.

Ricciardo had said he hoped to have his future sorted before the four-week break, while Red Bull intimated a deal was close back at the end of June.

However, with Ricciardo completing his pre-summer duties on day one of F1's post-Hungarian GP test, he will head into his holidays without an announcement being made.

The Australian is now "definitely" expecting that to happen in August, either before or during the Belgian Grand Prix weekend at the end of the month.

Asked by Autosport if something had complicated what looked like a simple renewal, Ricciardo laughed and said: "Did it look simple? I was just making it up so you guys would stop asking me."

He added: "It will definitely be done by Spa. Whether it gets announced over the summer break or in Spa [I don't know].

"[It's] just a little bit of fine-tuning here and there. It's all good.

"You'll hear something soon I'm sure."

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/137774/ricciardo-sets-new-contract-deadline-after-delay

jgonzalesm6 and 375+ like this.
  7. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Whatever leverage Daniel had at RBR is gone at this point. His choice is to either agree to what management is offering or sign with a lesser team.

8. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    jgonzalesm6, william and 375+ like this.
  9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

This is what Abbiteboul accuses them of: they complain about the Renault engine, but refuse the updates.

Renault chief Abbiteboul said that Red Bull use some components beyond their life span, and then accuse Renault fort failure.

Good luck with Honda next year!!

10. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Like I said before...they create their own bad luck. They deserve it, IMO.

william likes this.
  11. DF1

william likes this.
  12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Bas likes this.
  13. DF1

If this is true he owes his Honda team partners an apology.

Bas likes this.
  14. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Sure does. FWIW I don't really take much note of what either Marko or Mateschitz spout. There's a lot of empty threats. I'll believe it when I see them setting up a rival series...Their F1 team more than pays for itself on marketing alone.

jgonzalesm6, william and DF1 like this.
  15. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    No point finishing 2018 season says Ricciardo

OCTOBER 29, 2018

Daniel Ricciardo sounded ready to quit Red Bull immediately, after yet another disappointing day in the 2018 car.

"I'm a very positive guy," the Australian said after another technical problem in Mexico, having started the race from pole but ultimately watching teammate Max Verstappen win.

"But I can only be that positive for so long. My love for this car is diminishing very quickly."

Ricciardo is leaving Red Bull for Renault after the 2018 finale in Abu Dhabi, but he sounds willing to quit the team immediately.

"It's not frustration anymore. It feels hopeless," he said.

"Honestly, I don't see the point of coming on Sunday. I don't see the point of doing the next two races.

"I'm not superstitious or any of that bullsh*t, but the car's cursed. Just things are happening on Sundays that I've got no more explanation for.

"This car ... I'll let Gasly drive it. I'm done with it," Ricciardo concluded.

G. Pepper, Jeronimo GTO and 375+ like this.
  16. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    How have the transmissions from Verstappen and the Red Bull brain trust regarding his engine
    settings after Ricciardo's retirement gone un-noticed?

On the first transmission, the SKY crew glossed over it but when Verstappen radioed again
    asking about his engine settings and he got "We've turned down the engine" back from the
    pit wall, it wasn't lost on Croft and Brundle.

They may have said this just to placate Verstappen so he'd get on with the program but
    since it was mentioned twice, this opens up some potential rules infractions does it not?
    Had this been a Vettel or Raikkonen radio conversation the Internet would be lit up about
    it this morning.

Pit to car telemetry is not allowed in F1 so if Newey & Co. have found a way around this
    rule, what else don't we know about the current cars?

BHW

G. Pepper, fil, cig1 and 1 other person like this.
  17. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    You can't blame Daniel for being dispirited but I am surprised that he seems prepared to walk away. The number of mechanical failures that his car has suffered is most unusual. Some form of sabotage by the team--is that plausible?

18. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    I don't think its sabotage, but's it's crazy that all the problems that affect his car does not affect Max's. I could see how some would smell a rat.

G. Pepper and 375+ like this.
  19. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Verstappen suffered the same problem (if I'm not mistaken) in free practice.

Ricciardo broke down more often than Kvyat and I don't think that they had any favoritism for the Russian. Sometimes **** just happens .

Having said that, it's quite obvious that nobody at Red Bull gives a **** about Ricciardo right now.

Phil~ and G. Pepper like this.
  20. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 that seems to be the case.

21. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    For the record, Max sufferred a hydraulic line failure in free practice at the Mexican GP.

DR suffered a clutch failure during the race.

Going back to DR's and Max's DNF's or failures, one would have to see how many of those are PU failures and/or other components that failed.

When DR pulled over during the Mexican GP 2018, I was almost quick to jump on the Renault PU but held back.

22. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    Strange though as the smoke behind the car normally is a sign af an (bank) engine failure. Isn’t this a smoke screen to cover up another Renault failure?

Ciao
    Oscar

23. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    To me it looked like the start of a turbo failure...first a puff of blue smoke then BAAAANG alot of smoke.

We'll know for sure IF it was a PU failure (grid penalty next GP) but"for the record" it's a clutch failure.;)

24. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    RB is not likely to cover up any Renault failure since they are happily switching to Honda.
    According to RB, Renault is a crap engine even though they managed to win four times with it this year - we'll see what they will do next year.

375+ likes this.
  25. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    As far as I remember Horner told Max soon after that he does not need to have the fastest lap and that he should take it easy when all of the sudden the gap between him and Seb was getting bigger again.... I do not think that RB has tuned down anything, they just tried to calm Max down. I think they even told him what engine setting he should use to the end. So I think nothing fishy was going on there...